1995 YZ-250 long rod. Tom Morgan porting magic. :)

deccr250
11/8/2018 10:52am
Great build dude, looks really nice. Even better that you did 99% of the work yourself Smile
FWYT
11/8/2018 11:40pm
deccr250 wrote:
Great build dude, looks really nice. Even better that you did 99% of the work yourself Smile
Thank you, much!!

With a little luck of being able to get out of work this weekend, I'm going to
go race it and see how it feels!
m1ke20012
11/13/2018 3:33pm
Jrewing wrote:
Good idea I will do a no crank build to check tranny as this is my first full bottom end build.
FWYT wrote:
Hey, this is only my second full bottom end build! It's really not that hard as long as you keep things clean and organized, take your...
Hey, this is only my second full bottom end build! It's really not that hard as long as you keep things clean and organized, take your time and follow the manual.

Today I got it all buttoned up. Used a heat gun on the main bearings and the crank just dropped right in. Super easy!
Assembled the tranny and shift forks. Then heated up main bearing on the other case half and it just slipped on. Frigging piece of cake.

In fact, I assembled it TWICE. Got it all put together up to the clutch and then realized I had failed to install a bearing retainer in the tranny. So everything came apart and then reassembled. Second time went FAST! Practice! LaughingLaughingLaughing
For someone whos only done it twice you sure know what you're doing. You're even out here revalving your own suspension and replating parts.
FWYT
11/14/2018 11:28am
Jrewing wrote:
Good idea I will do a no crank build to check tranny as this is my first full bottom end build.
FWYT wrote:
Hey, this is only my second full bottom end build! It's really not that hard as long as you keep things clean and organized, take your...
Hey, this is only my second full bottom end build! It's really not that hard as long as you keep things clean and organized, take your time and follow the manual.

Today I got it all buttoned up. Used a heat gun on the main bearings and the crank just dropped right in. Super easy!
Assembled the tranny and shift forks. Then heated up main bearing on the other case half and it just slipped on. Frigging piece of cake.

In fact, I assembled it TWICE. Got it all put together up to the clutch and then realized I had failed to install a bearing retainer in the tranny. So everything came apart and then reassembled. Second time went FAST! Practice! LaughingLaughingLaughing
m1ke20012 wrote:
For someone whos only done it twice you sure know what you're doing. You're even out here revalving your own suspension and replating parts.
Thanks, Mike. I really enjoy the hell out of tinkering on things. It's been a LOT of looking up things and watching Youtube clips, let me tell you!!

I had revalved the suspension on my CRF450R (lots of homework there, too!) and was super happy with how it came out. This one was a little different in that I had no real point of reference what with putting the later model suspension on an older steel frame. It was a lot of looking up what OEM stacks were, seeing what other people did for stacks (combing through threads on Thumpertalk) and then taking a lucky guess. I gotta say it feels great! I haven't even turned a clicker yet; everything is at baseline (all clickers out 11 turns). I've set the sag and HS compression and it's just a ball to ride. I frigging love the motor!

I couldn't get off of work last weekend so I didn't get to go racing but I have to get a video or something because
it sounds GOOD!

The Shop

FWYT
12/11/2018 9:58am
I've been riding the YZ and it is just a ton of fun. I love the motor and the suspension feels great.

Had a little weird thing happen- the kickstarter started getting pretty weak in returning to position.
Like the spring was all sacked out. Took the assembly apart and after mucho head scratching and comparing
it to other photos dug up on the web, it seems that tab at the end of the shaft had rotated. It's a press-fit and
just sorta backed off a little which gave the spring no preload. Interesting!

I could have just tack welded it but a complete assembly was only $20.00 on eBay which allowed me to replace
my somewhat worn gear while I was at it.
acerbis
12/11/2018 10:22am
My YZ 125 has the same symptoms with the kick starter.
FWYT
12/11/2018 1:47pm
acerbis wrote:
No kidding? Did you weld yours back in the proper position or just what?
acerbis
12/11/2018 2:02pm
acerbis wrote:
FWYT wrote:
No kidding? Did you weld yours back in the proper position or just what?
Haven't addressed it yet. It's my project bike.
FWYT
4/1/2019 9:26am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2019 11:04am
Well, it's pathetic that I finished the bike in October/November and have only just now got a weekend free to go race it. What can I say- I have to work most weekends and gotta pay the bills . . .

Raced the 40+AM and 50+ AM classes at an SRA GP at Glen Helen yesterday. (hand on helmet start).
That bike is FUN!!! I absolutely love the motor and the suspension feels great. Honestly, I have
not even turned a clicker! Doing the valving was just total guesswork going off of what other people were doing on the various Thumper Talk suspension threads so I'm glad it worked out!

Quite a few people came over to ask me about the bike, too. It was great chatting up moto projects with fellow gear heads.

One thing about the bike is that it definitely feels smaller than a modern bike. I can't recall if this model was considered a good turning bike back then but these days, because it's shorter, it definitely feels like it turns well. And still stable at speed, too. Or, maybe, probably, I'm just not that fast and can't tell. I think down the road, I might mess around witha slightly taller seat and bars to see how that feels.

Obviously at my level, the bike is not the weak link in the program and I feel like I would finish in the same spot whether I'm on my '06 CRF450 or this bike. But man, this motor is AWESOME!! Such a fun bike to ride!!!

Very, very happy with how this whole project has turned out!!!!
FWYT
5/5/2019 12:20am
Another weekend at an SRA GP at Glen Helen. I'm still so stoked how this bike came out.
So fun to ride!!
IanMac138
5/5/2019 9:45pm
My first 'big bike' was a '95 YZ125 bought brand new from Fun Bike Center in San Diego when I was 15. Stared at the bike when it came home to my garage all night. I was a HUGE Emig fan and immediately started working some overtime hours at my pizza shop so I could buy the Factory graphic kit, powder coat the frame in "YZ BLUE" down in Mexico. Man, bringing back sweet memories with this build. So rad! High fives!
IanMac138
5/5/2019 9:49pm
Found a picture of me in '96 hitting a little step down road gap in Ocotillo with my '95 with the factory graphics and another hitting a step up at 'the tree track' in Del Mar, California...before it got overrun by housing track homes! Shedding a tear now. ! Good times.
IanMac138
5/5/2019 9:50pm
Found a picture of me in '96 hitting a little step down road gap in Ocotillo with my '95 with the factory graphics and another hitting a step up at 'the tree track' in Del Mar, California with N Style graphics after the factory graphics bubbled up and literally melts off the gas tank ...this track was amazing before it got overrun by housing track homes! Shedding a tear now. ! Good times.
FWYT
5/6/2019 12:27am
IanMac138 wrote:
My first 'big bike' was a '95 YZ125 bought brand new from Fun Bike Center in San Diego when I was 15. Stared at the bike...
My first 'big bike' was a '95 YZ125 bought brand new from Fun Bike Center in San Diego when I was 15. Stared at the bike when it came home to my garage all night. I was a HUGE Emig fan and immediately started working some overtime hours at my pizza shop so I could buy the Factory graphic kit, powder coat the frame in "YZ BLUE" down in Mexico. Man, bringing back sweet memories with this build. So rad! High fives!
Right on, Ian!!! And thanks for sharing the photos. Good times!
RABnasty
5/6/2019 1:49am
This build is insane, super inspiring. Love the attention to detail, hope to get my YZ even half as good as this.
FWYT
5/6/2019 8:25am
RABnasty wrote:
This build is insane, super inspiring. Love the attention to detail, hope to get my YZ even half as good as this.
Thanks!
mowerys
5/13/2019 6:59pm
Your bike turned out awesome! What shock did you use? I’ve got a 97 yz125 I’m restoring and bought a 09 YZ250 shock but it’s 1” longer and I’m not sure how or if I can make it fit
CHaynes
5/14/2019 4:04am
I recently picked up a 95 and am going to restore it to the "Factory" look of the 95's. Just a few questions that I hope you can help with.

1. Do you know the color code for the paint/powder coat that the team actually used in 95?

2. Do you know anywhere to get the blue front fender, number plate, and radiator shrouds? I remember the team bikes looked more like a Navy Blue, not the YZ blue that we all are accustomed to now.

Thanks for any info you can give!
FWYT
5/16/2019 11:13am
mowerys wrote:
Your bike turned out awesome! What shock did you use? I’ve got a 97 yz125 I’m restoring and bought a 09 YZ250 shock but it’s 1”...
Your bike turned out awesome! What shock did you use? I’ve got a 97 yz125 I’m restoring and bought a 09 YZ250 shock but it’s 1” longer and I’m not sure how or if I can make it fit
Hi Mowery,
Thanks!
My shock and fork came off of an '07 450 and the shock was a perfect fit.
FWYT
5/16/2019 12:40pm
CHaynes wrote:
I recently picked up a 95 and am going to restore it to the "Factory" look of the 95's. Just a few questions that I hope...
I recently picked up a 95 and am going to restore it to the "Factory" look of the 95's. Just a few questions that I hope you can help with.

1. Do you know the color code for the paint/powder coat that the team actually used in 95?

2. Do you know anywhere to get the blue front fender, number plate, and radiator shrouds? I remember the team bikes looked more like a Navy Blue, not the YZ blue that we all are accustomed to now.

Thanks for any info you can give!
Hi Haynes,

Sorry, I don't know the color code. I just went to my powder coat guy and picked one that looked like it
was the closest match.

Blue plastic . . . man, I wish I knew! I just grabbed an Acerbis front fender and could not find anyone that does the other plastic parts in blue.
mowerys
5/17/2019 5:23am
mowerys wrote:
Your bike turned out awesome! What shock did you use? I’ve got a 97 yz125 I’m restoring and bought a 09 YZ250 shock but it’s 1”...
FWYT wrote:
Hi Mowery,
Thanks!
Thank you Sir!
FWYT
5/17/2019 10:41am
mowerys wrote:
FWYT wrote:
Hi Mowery,
Thanks!
mowerys wrote:
Thank you Sir!
How long is your '97 shock? I'll measure mine so you have a reference.
mowerys
5/18/2019 6:24am
FWYT wrote:
Hi Mowery,
Thanks!
mowerys wrote:
Thank you Sir!
FWYT wrote:
Thanks! Here’s some measurements :
FWYT
5/21/2019 6:27pm
mowerys wrote:
Thank you Sir!
FWYT wrote:
mowerys wrote:
Thanks! Here’s some measurements :[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/18/348230/s1200_1E43961F_A531_4022_A3B1_95BFDA4534F1.jpg[/img]
Hey Mowerys,
I measured the '07 shock on my bike, and it is the same length as your '09 shock, right about 19.3" long.
I don't have my '95 shock anymore but as I recall it was the same length as the '07 (and '09) shock. The
top and bottom bushing widths are the same and it bolted right in. Strange that the '97 125 is a little shorter!
mowerys
5/21/2019 8:10pm
FWYT wrote:
mowerys wrote:
Thanks! Here’s some measurements :[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/18/348230/s1200_1E43961F_A531_4022_A3B1_95BFDA4534F1.jpg[/img]
FWYT wrote:
Hey Mowerys, I measured the '07 shock on my bike, and it is the same length as your '09 shock, right about 19.3" long. I don't...
Hey Mowerys,
I measured the '07 shock on my bike, and it is the same length as your '09 shock, right about 19.3" long.
I don't have my '95 shock anymore but as I recall it was the same length as the '07 (and '09) shock. The
top and bottom bushing widths are the same and it bolted right in. Strange that the '97 125 is a little shorter!
Thank you! I appreciate you measuring your shock. I’m not sure why it’s shorter. The bike was low hours and very stock so I was doubting it was shortened but guess it is possible??
FWYT
5/21/2019 11:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2019 11:11pm
mowerys wrote:
Thank you! I appreciate you measuring your shock. I’m not sure why it’s shorter. The bike was low hours and very stock so I was doubting...
Thank you! I appreciate you measuring your shock. I’m not sure why it’s shorter. The bike was low hours and very stock so I was doubting it was shortened but guess it is possible??
Yeah, kinda strange!
I'd dig around on some of the other forums because I could swear I had read that all those shocks were the same length. But then again, I'm also the guy that would just put the longer shock in anyway and run it. hahahaha
FWYT
8/1/2019 12:06am
I'm still just loving riding this bike. It just rips and is so fun to ride!!

One thing that has been bugging me is the low seat. When I got the foam from Ceet, I just
went with the standard height and density. I guess it's pretty close to OEM but man, I just feel too
cramped and the foam feels too soft.

So I got the 1" taller foam (and spec'd the firm foam this time) and it feels MUCH, MUCH better.
It also looks a little better and not so much like some broken swayback horse.

While I was fussing around, I also thinned out the rear fender profile with a disk sander. That area
always just looked a little too fat to me. Subtle, but I like the change. Before and after photos below:

One thing I'm toying with, if finances allow it, is to send the cylinder and head off to Tom Morgan.
Kinda just seems like the appropriate thing to do, doesn't it?

FWYT
9/22/2019 8:21pm
I wasn't really planning on doing any motor hop up work, but I figured what with it being such fun bike
to ride and a good example of the era, I saved some pennies and sent the cylinder and head to Tom Morgan
to perform his magic.

I loved the motor before and now I REALLY love it. More power throughout, still has the beautiful mid-range, and
will pull a little further on top before signing off. It's frigging awesome. Such a fun and easy bike to ride!!

FWYT
9/22/2019 8:36pm
Here's the start of today's race. Sounds good, huh? Smile Braaaaap! Of course, I cut the
video short right before I gooned out at the top of the hill and let a bunch of guys by. hahahha (Still ended up 3rd)

Let's be real - as a 55+ local B rider, the bike is NOT the weak link in the equation. So
I might as well ride the bike I have the most fun on, while still being competitive, right?
I am totally digging riding this bike!

Yz229
9/22/2019 11:18pm
Nice! And Tom makes a great engine, and is an all around good guy!

Post a reply to: 1995 YZ-250 long rod. Tom Morgan porting magic. :)

The Latest