1995 KX250 Restoration

madmarc
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 5:19pm
In February I picked up an abused 95 KX250 to restore. I hope to finish it within a few weeks. Here's my progress so far...

What it looked like when I picked it up:

It doesn't look horrible from the pictures. But when I started digging in there were many surprises. It was missing a front caliper (I already knew this). The wheels were destroyed (esp the front). The right side cover and clutch cover were broken from previous owner using the wrong kick starter (i knew this too). The swingarm bearings were so shot that the swingarm was actually rubbing against the engine cases (i did not know this!). The inside of the pipe and the powevalve assembly were encrusted with carbon. But overall it had a solid foundation for a restoration. The frame and engine were in relatively decent condition.

So far I've built new wheels, rebuilt the swingarm, rebuilt the engine (had oem crank rebuilt, replated cylinder, new powervalve gears, new clutch and outer basket, oem bearings, etc..). Here's some eye candy:

Next week I should have the suspension finished, and will also hopefully have the frame back from the powdercoater. Then I'll be rebuilding the brakes and cleaning various parts. I also found a 97 oem pipe in really good condition which I'm going to try to remove a small dent from and repaint.

Originally I wanted to build a 97-style Splitfire bike. But after coming across a photo of a 92 KX with blue wheels my jaw dropped and I decided to go for the early 90s green and blue look. The frame is being done in flo green to match the flo green plastics I got. And I'm still unsure about the graphics.

I'm documenting as much of this build as I can in short time lapsed videos for those who are interested. Let me know what you guys think so far!
|
madmarc
5/21/2022 10:28am
I received my shroud graphics from EVO. They couldn't print in flo green so I asked to have them done as cut outs. They look ok but feel incomplete. Considering other options...

Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/21/2022 7:14pm
Looking good so far! Keep posting pictures..
Wycked31
5/21/2022 7:42pm
madmarc wrote:
I received my shroud graphics from EVO. They couldn't print in flo green so I asked to have them done as cut outs. They look ok...
I received my shroud graphics from EVO. They couldn't print in flo green so I asked to have them done as cut outs. They look ok but feel incomplete. Considering other options...

Decal can print the graphics on clear. Cost is a little more but works great on the flo green. I have super clean front end from a 97 KX250 if your interested.

Wycked31
5/21/2022 7:47pm
madmarc wrote:
I received my shroud graphics from EVO. They couldn't print in flo green so I asked to have them done as cut outs. They look ok...

Wycked31 wrote:
Decal can print the graphics on clear. Cost is a little more but works great on the flo green. I have super clean front end from...
Decal can print the graphics on clear. Cost is a little more but works great on the flo green. I have super clean front end from a 97 KX250 if your interested.

These are on green backgrounds with flo green. Should have done clear

The Shop

Kidkawie
5/22/2022 7:12pm
Nice saving that 95! I did blue/flo on one of my 2000's a while back, great combo

madmarc
5/26/2022 4:36pm
Today I got my frame back from the powdercoater. The pictures don't do it justice. Maybe I need to color correct my camera. But in real life the color is bright and beautiful.

I also made a last second decision Monday to anodize my fork tubes, and the shop I took them to turned them around quick. They also replated some hardware. I can't believe how nice they came out.

I'm waiting on vinyl fabric samples to decide on my seat cover. I got one from Pit Replica on ebay but it's a shade too dark so I'm going to make my own hopefully to match that early 90s light blue if I like one of the samples I get. And then I'm going to have the graphics re-done to match that blue. I might take that suggestion to use a clear background on the shrouds.
madmarc
6/4/2022 4:22pm
Here they are finished.

The fork lugs (esp the left one) were badly gouged. I spent some time with the dremel smoothing them out.

I also used some abrasive polishing wheels to shine up the shock body.

And also shined up the carb a bit and got some blue breather hose.

For the carb and petcock I used fine steel dremel brushes.

I was yet again disappointed with fabric samples I got which I was hoping to use for a seat cover. Everything looks one way on the computer and way different in person.
madmarc
6/15/2022 2:38pm
I just finished cleaning up the pipe. It's a low-hour oem pipe off a 97. I removed a small dent a couple little dings using the torch and air method. Then I stripped off the paint and polished it up with a dremel and some abrasive wheels. Mostly happy with the finish!

I also polished up the lower triple clamp and some various parts. I found a nos top triple clamp on ebay. You can see the difference in the finish between the two below.

The bike came with an aftermarket top triple clamp and bar mounts which I didn't like (ugly anodizing). I was going to get some new bar clamps but after grinding off the anodizing the one I've done so far looks awesome!

Original brake and shift levers, and rear master cylinder guard, all polished up.

The bike is nearly ready to come back together now. Just waiting on a few little parts, and some graphics from Decal Works.

The biggest holdup might be the seat cover. I've been trying to get one from Evo but I'm not hearing back from them. So I'll either use the one I already got or maybe have Decal Works make one.
Kidkawie
6/15/2022 7:41pm
Lye bath or spray oven cleaner removes anodize. The top clamp has a cast finish and the lower clamp is more polished, thats how they came. Look into marine vinyl and get some samples sent. I found the 90's match for purple a while back. The shop in Vietnam (or wherever it is) will make/print on supplied vinyl. He has the wrong purple, was going to do that for my 94 but found NOS cover.
madmarc
6/26/2022 10:59pm
I finished up the bike today. Here's some pics from when I put most of it together last weekend. Tomorrow I'll post the final pics when the lighting is good.

KX_250-95
6/4/2023 12:59pm

Beauty restored. I have the exact bike and I’m working on this project as well. Slow but going for a slightly different look. Yours looks super clean!!! Congrats. Did you ride it at all? 

madmarc
6/4/2023 10:18pm
KX_250-95 wrote:
Beauty restored. I have the exact bike and I’m working on this project as well. Slow but going for a slightly different look. Yours looks super...

Beauty restored. I have the exact bike and I’m working on this project as well. Slow but going for a slightly different look. Yours looks super clean!!! Congrats. Did you ride it at all? 

Thanks man, yes I already put more than 66 hours on it. I ride it every weekend I can, but I'll be taking a break for summer.

KX_250-95
6/5/2023 1:43pm

Man maybe I’ll hit you up with some questions. If that’s cool. I’m about to send some stuff in to be vapor blasted. I’m super excited. Kind of afraid to strip all the gear off to the bare frame. Can you encourage me lol is it hard to put the forks ona md off. I want to powder coat the frame. I have rebuilt transmissions so I am mechanically inclined. I got these new radiator clamps. Stainless steel. They look waaaay better than the stock hose clamps. Did you ever try that phat head for the cylinder top? Thanks man

KX_250-95
6/5/2023 2:08pm

How much money did you have in the restoration. I have 2,200 in mine so far and I feel like I can drop at least 6k more. Expensive project. I’m just a nurse assistant so money is always tight with me

IMG 1495.jpeg?VersionId=QiWbWI6YlC1mDuFSFXwFO98ZtiG

Here’s my bike. Going for a room and gloom look

madmarc
6/5/2023 11:32pm
KX_250-95 wrote:
Man maybe I’ll hit you up with some questions. If that’s cool. I’m about to send some stuff in to be vapor blasted. I’m super excited...

Man maybe I’ll hit you up with some questions. If that’s cool. I’m about to send some stuff in to be vapor blasted. I’m super excited. Kind of afraid to strip all the gear off to the bare frame. Can you encourage me lol is it hard to put the forks ona md off. I want to powder coat the frame. I have rebuilt transmissions so I am mechanically inclined. I got these new radiator clamps. Stainless steel. They look waaaay better than the stock hose clamps. Did you ever try that phat head for the cylinder top? Thanks man

Looks like your frame is already powder coated flo green (like mine). Nothing is hard on this bike, just time consuming. And expensive. It cost a few grand but I don't know the exact total. I stuck with the original head. It was in great shape. The motor overall was in good shape. Even the cylinder was still within spec, but I had it replated anyways. 

KX_250-95
6/6/2023 8:23pm
madmarc wrote:
Here they are finished. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/04/553631/s1200_IMG_0170.jpg[/img] The fork lugs (esp the left one) were badly gouged. I spent some time with the dremel smoothing them out. I...
Here they are finished.

The fork lugs (esp the left one) were badly gouged. I spent some time with the dremel smoothing them out.

I also used some abrasive polishing wheels to shine up the shock body.

And also shined up the carb a bit and got some blue breather hose.

For the carb and petcock I used fine steel dremel brushes.

I was yet again disappointed with fabric samples I got which I was hoping to use for a seat cover. Everything looks one way on the computer and way different in person.

I like that blue. I just ordered an aluminum engine bolt kit and it’s blue. A darker blue but I like it. So all the engine bolts and nuts will be a nice blue. I’ll continue that for most the bolts I think. I just ordered my hose clamps stainless steel. Way better looking than the slotted hose clamps

Post a reply to: 1995 KX250 Restoration

The Latest