1994 RM125 - Full Resto

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2019 10:43 AM

Couple quick pics of the restoration I started on my 1994 RM125. Looking to strip it down to the frame and have the frame powder coated. All linkage bearings will be replaced etc. Bike will be ridden here in NJ at raceway park. Should make for a nice change of riding style from my current 2017 RMZ250. Any recommendations on powder coating & light frame fabrication work in central NJ would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for tips on cleaning linkage items (hot tank?).

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/26/2019 11:21 AM

This will be sweet I love the look of these bikes

|

6/26/2019 12:42 PM

First post and restoring a Suzuki.... awesome...a parts washer, like something from harbor freight comes in real handy when doing bike work. I use kerosene in mine, it is a mild cleaner, will not harm any rubber & a red scotch brite pad, some elbow grease will clean up those linkage parts nicely. Soak the complete linkage assembly over night. Looks like you already got the swingarm bolt out, somebody must have greased it at some point, lucky for you!

|

6/27/2019 6:33 AM

sandman768 wrote:

First post and restoring a Suzuki.... awesome...a parts washer, like something from harbor freight comes in real handy when doing bike work. I use kerosene in mine, it is a mild cleaner, will not harm any rubber & a red scotch brite pad, some elbow grease will clean up those linkage parts nicely. Soak the complete linkage assembly over night. Looks like you already got the swingarm bolt out, somebody must have greased it at some point, lucky for you!

Sandman, really appreciate the tips regarding kerosene and scotch brite pads. This is the path I'll go to clean the linkage.

Any tips on removing and installing the bearings? I'm looking at a few bearing removal kits:

https://www.motosport.com/motion-pro-bearing-remover-set?variant[MOP004J]=MOP004J-X001-Y001

Can this also double as a bearing installer? Or do I need to buy a bearing driver set? I apologize for the rookie questions, but I've never torn down a chassis this extensively. Trying to take my time and do it right.

Thanks

|

6/27/2019 7:13 AM

You can use a long bolt with an appropriately sized socket, few washers and, a couple nuts to press some in. I think you can find references in your
manual and even YouTube. My cousins doing a 95 RM 250 restore.

|

6/27/2019 8:13 AM

I have had good results with a bench vise, some wood pieces & sockets. I use heat/ freeze method on all bearings, bearings in freezer over nite, apply heat to the part bearing to be installed, does not need to be smoking hot...pay attention to depth of the bearings, measure or mark them before removal if you do not have a manual, the depth can effect how everything sits when completed. Make sure the bearing starts out straight, if crooked, back off & redo it. They push in pretty easy when straight, using heat/freeze method. Use the wood in between the vise jaws & aluminum so you don’t gouge the aluminum. As stated by Chance 1216, look at some YouTube videos...take your time do 1 at a time & you will get it down...

|

6/27/2019 8:16 AM

sandman768 wrote:

I have had good results with a bench vise, some wood pieces & sockets. I use heat/ freeze method on all bearings, bearings in freezer over nite, apply heat to the part bearing to be installed, does not need to be smoking hot...pay attention to depth of the bearings, measure or mark them before removal if you do not have a manual, the depth can effect how everything sits when completed. Make sure the bearing starts out straight, if crooked, back off & redo it. They push in pretty easy when straight, using heat/freeze method. Use the wood in between the vise jaws & aluminum so you don’t gouge the aluminum. As stated by Chance 1216, look at some YouTube videos...take your time do 1 at a time & you will get it down...

Really appreciate all the help guys.

Ill be going slow and steady at night after work, part by part.

I'll ride my thumper in the meantime.

Thanks.

|

7/4/2019 8:43 AM

Anybody know the best way to remove these linkage bearing ring stoppers? Reverse needle nose pliers?

Photo

|

7/4/2019 9:33 AM

Photo
|

7/4/2019 9:56 AM

Chance1216 wrote: Photo

Ok cool, didn't know if I should be picking at it etc.

|