1992 KX500

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/3/2017 11:19am
KDXGarage wrote:
I won't be doing it any time soon. I saw you mention that in the thread on your bike with the gold colored rims. I will...
I won't be doing it any time soon. I saw you mention that in the thread on your bike with the gold colored rims. I will definitely read it.

To the OP, is that a factory pipe? I noticed the gold colored welds.
I doubt it. Technically its brazed not welded. Welding melts the two pieces and in most cases filler metal is used to fill/build up the joint for strength. Brazing only melts the filler metal, the filler metal having a lower melting temp melts and fuses into the heated pieces.

So why is the bracket brazed and the pipe welded? Because the pipe is a butt weld, they actually torch weld with a flame all the pipe halfs, using no filler metal, its faster and has a lot of control in thinner metals. The bracket is a lap weld, filler is required for the required strength in that braze joint.

In short, its a issue of speed and convenience.
KDXGarage
11/4/2017 3:24pm
Thank you very much for the lesson. I appreciate it!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/7/2017 9:12am
New Brake pivot bracket.

Decided to rework the original brake stop, moving on..

That's all for the frame modifications. Time to tear it down and off to powder coat.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/7/2017 12:24pm
MotoSeat made me a new cover and molded some new foam, fit perfect.

erik_94COBRA
11/7/2017 4:45pm
Build is coming along real nice.

I sure wish those blue anodized forks were staying. They look so badass.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/2/2017 9:12am

The motor was suppose be "ready" but by the looks of everything else i've put my hands on, I had to crack it open.

As you can see the impeller drive gear on the end of the crank shaft was beat to death, mushroomed and had broken teeth.

At first I thought the rod bearing was bad, but I think it will make another run.

Had to make a few tools to get this gear off....

123-rit
12/2/2017 10:29am
the frame looks good what color pc did you use?
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/2/2017 12:31pm
RAL 6018 it's close but it's not perfect. Didn't expect it to be though, 25 year old tank, new ufo plastic, all different shades.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/2/2017 12:40pm
Quick mock up

123-rit
12/3/2017 10:11am
Markee wrote:
Quick mock up[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/02/228988/s1200_IMG_20171202_153841.jpg[/img]
Quick mock up

Looks good.. 92 was one of the best looking years for the kx imo.
123-rit
12/3/2017 10:14am
Markee wrote:
Quick mock up[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/02/228988/s1200_IMG_20171202_153841.jpg[/img]
Quick mock up

Looks good.. 92 was one of the best looking years for the kx imo.
KDXGarage
12/4/2017 11:50pm
WOW! You got skills. Smile

I overlooked the Blue Moon Belgian White... SO GOOD!!

The frame looked great!!

Congratulations on the tool making to get that shaft out.

Sandblaster
12/5/2017 8:28pm
First, I love the 92...
As I was reading your build I wondered if I knew who you were, once I saw the slide hammer on the drive gear I started laughing cause I realized who you are.
I like the mods you are doing.
The Brembo brakes are going to be awesome.
I did a KX450F Rear brake and wheel conversion on a K5 and it made a HUGE difference.
The Pro rider who runs it use to literally burn his K5 rear brake up after a few laps.
He has rode it for several races and no issues and absolutely loves it ... So, I'm sure that you'll be happy.
I like your approach for the forks as well.
You should have a real nice bike when you are done.
Congrats!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/7/2017 11:48am
KDXGarage wrote:
WOW! You got skills. :) I overlooked the Blue Moon Belgian White... SO GOOD!! The frame looked great!! Congratulations on the tool making to get that...
WOW! You got skills. Smile

I overlooked the Blue Moon Belgian White... SO GOOD!!

The frame looked great!!

Congratulations on the tool making to get that shaft out.

Thanks man, The Blue Moon Belgian White is SO GONE!
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/7/2017 12:04pm
First, I love the 92... As I was reading your build I wondered if I knew who you were, once I saw the slide hammer on...
First, I love the 92...
As I was reading your build I wondered if I knew who you were, once I saw the slide hammer on the drive gear I started laughing cause I realized who you are.
I like the mods you are doing.
The Brembo brakes are going to be awesome.
I did a KX450F Rear brake and wheel conversion on a K5 and it made a HUGE difference.
The Pro rider who runs it use to literally burn his K5 rear brake up after a few laps.
He has rode it for several races and no issues and absolutely loves it ... So, I'm sure that you'll be happy.
I like your approach for the forks as well.
You should have a real nice bike when you are done.
Congrats!
Thanks man, anyone reading this, Sandblaster has the best K5 related forum with a ton of information regarding modifying and rebuilding. Awesome stuff @ OEM-CYCLE

I have never rode a K5 but only 3 min around my yard with a bald tire. But one thing I gathered from various sources was brakes = junk and the chassis/suspension isn't up to par.

The brake conversion I knew for me was going to be easy, plus I had extra set of brembos, kinda a no brainer.

I'm going to give this shock a good rebuild and try, being that shock designs haven't really changed much in 30 years, I do think I'll be able to get it working decent with the Race Tech stuff. Might look into the emig racing dog bones as well.

Forks, if in question during any build, 06 - up KYB SSS. Bone stock and sprung are just so good.

sandman768
12/7/2017 12:07pm
Been following your build....as I have this coming up next....
It"s a 90.....I have been thinking about what to do with the fork upgrade. Originally was just going to put the latest k5 front end on, from 99-2004 for something easy...but I see a nice looking set of Pro Circuit clamps on eBay from a late model 250f.....which would be same swap you have done....appears you used the original k5 stem, was this due to height of stem or bearing size? Also, when you had the head decompression mod done, was anything else done to the head? Squish ect? Thanks...

sandman768
12/7/2017 12:15pm
Side note: I"m pretty sure the k5 shock bodies are same as my 89 kx 250 kyb, which means the Oem Ti rear spring for a yz450 fits on perfect

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/8/2017 11:32am
Sandman, I got the ti spring sitting on it right now, I didn't know it would work until I slapped it on and it fits perfect like you mentioned! I was stoked on that.

The front end. I had a yamaha set of forks from my 13 300sx I sold a few months ago, that's why I went yamaha, but you would probably be better off finding the SSS forks used on the KX450 a few years. The bottom fork diameter is the same , but you will see different top clamp sizes depending on the year. BUT! no worries, you can send your trees to Clayton @ Trick Engineering and he can bore to fit for about 50 bucks (that's what I did).

The top bearing on the K5 is smaller and doesn't fit any modern clamps that I know of. That is why I used the steering stem to avoid major frame modifications. But after retro fitting the trees to work with the small top bearing, I believe its about the same amount of work to cut out the top frame cup and weld in a new cup to fit the bigger bearing race. With my resources and had to do it over, that's what I would have done. Because if you wanted to change the trees later maybe to try different offset or whatever, would be nothing to it. Now if you need help on the frame modification part, contact me directly and I can handle it for you.

The compression release was done by Larry Wiechman wiechman@charter.net
Excellent work, he cleaned up the head, installed the comp release and polished the combustion area. The squish will vary from bike to bike depending on a lot of factors. I can handle that on my end. But he might be able to get you dialed, give him a shout.

Sandblaster
12/8/2017 11:46am
Yes, the Ti spring is a nice mod. I think it shaves about a lb.

On the steering stem, you can use a 450F triple clamp on your older KX by pressing in a new stem from EMIG racing.
I believe they are about 100 USD.
If your getting ready to rebuild your K5 engine here is some tips that I put together that can help you get a little more performance out of it..

Did I mention washing it first? Lol..
KDXGarage
12/8/2017 1:21pm
The 2003 + stems are 6 mm taller so besides the smaller upper bearing, one would have to deal with that also.
Sandblaster
12/8/2017 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 1:57pm
KDXGarage wrote:
The 2003 + stems are 6 mm taller so besides the smaller upper bearing, one would have to deal with that also.
Hey KDXGarage, 03 KX500 stems?
If so, I'm pretty sure they are the same from 97-04 when they switched to their final fork design.
Or did I completely miss something?
sandman768
12/8/2017 7:08pm
Thanks for the info guys.... Just enjoying these k5 builds & taking notes....
KDXGarage
12/10/2017 8:40am
2003 + KX125 / KX250 / KX250F / KX450F, not KDX, KLX, KX500
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/22/2017 12:58pm
The previous owner was so kind to grease the crank main bearings for me Dry

The shit sucks. Apparently at some point the motor fail and something was wedged at the bottom the case causing it to scar and bulge. I'll take a stab in the dark and assume the same guy that greased the bearings tried to pull the gap in with the case bolts. This caused one of the tabs to crack.

I've started the repair. We'll see what we got after I weld the tab back right and try to lap the cases flat.

Some good news, the blind trans bearing is out easy. My graphics are done and in, look real clean and simple. In Jan I hope to be moving forward pretty good.

Sandblaster
12/22/2017 1:22pm
Timesaver lapping compound for Aluminum and soft metals is your friend when lapping cases or any other soft metals.

Here is the basics:
Unlike other lapping compounds, Timesaver Lapping Compounds do not contain emery, silicon carbide, aluminum oxide or similar permanent charging abrasives. It will not charge into any metal surface or continue to cut. The lapping compound has a cutting action that is rapid at first and gradually diminishes as the abrasive particles disintegrate into inoperative material. The finishing action is such that surface irregularities and surplus metal is gently and quickly removed without disturbing the natural metal structure.

Timesaver Lapping Compound is manufactured expressly for the purpose of fitting and smoothing the bearing or contacting surfaces of rotating, oscillating or sliding parts of a mechanism. Assembly lapping of parts with Timesaver Lapping Compound, regardless of shape, size or the part involved, will result in precision fits, proper oil clearance and a microscopically fine finish.

Timesaver Lapping Compound cannot replace all of the other lapping compounds available, but if you are hand fitting pieces, have a hot bearing, gear noise or other demanding application where complete disassembly is not desirable, Timesaver Lapping Compounds may be the answer.

RECOMMENDED FOR : Fitting babbit bearing, brass valves, bronze bushings, bronze worm gears, fitting brass, babbitt and other soft metal guides, cooling down hot journal bearings without disassembly and similar uses.

Your cases are bad enough that I would start with 40N Coarse then finish it out with the 100N Very Fine.

This is a typical area that needs to be lapped on every set of KX500 cases I have ever done..

Have fun... I've done a huge pile of them over the years :-)
sandman768
12/22/2017 6:18pm
the great work you have done to the chassis warrants a properly built engine to match...
sandman768
12/22/2017 6:26pm
Timesaver lapping compound for Aluminum and soft metals is your friend when lapping cases or any other soft metals. Here is the basics: Unlike other lapping...
Timesaver lapping compound for Aluminum and soft metals is your friend when lapping cases or any other soft metals.

Here is the basics:
Unlike other lapping compounds, Timesaver Lapping Compounds do not contain emery, silicon carbide, aluminum oxide or similar permanent charging abrasives. It will not charge into any metal surface or continue to cut. The lapping compound has a cutting action that is rapid at first and gradually diminishes as the abrasive particles disintegrate into inoperative material. The finishing action is such that surface irregularities and surplus metal is gently and quickly removed without disturbing the natural metal structure.

Timesaver Lapping Compound is manufactured expressly for the purpose of fitting and smoothing the bearing or contacting surfaces of rotating, oscillating or sliding parts of a mechanism. Assembly lapping of parts with Timesaver Lapping Compound, regardless of shape, size or the part involved, will result in precision fits, proper oil clearance and a microscopically fine finish.

Timesaver Lapping Compound cannot replace all of the other lapping compounds available, but if you are hand fitting pieces, have a hot bearing, gear noise or other demanding application where complete disassembly is not desirable, Timesaver Lapping Compounds may be the answer.

RECOMMENDED FOR : Fitting babbit bearing, brass valves, bronze bushings, bronze worm gears, fitting brass, babbitt and other soft metal guides, cooling down hot journal bearings without disassembly and similar uses.

Your cases are bad enough that I would start with 40N Coarse then finish it out with the 100N Very Fine.

This is a typical area that needs to be lapped on every set of KX500 cases I have ever done..

Have fun... I've done a huge pile of them over the years :-)
I know it's important to lap the cases on these bikes as they donot have center case gaskets, I use a granite countertop with a large piece of 220 or 400 wet sand paper, use small circular motion with light pressure for each case half...is my method incorrect?
Sandblaster
12/22/2017 10:34pm
Anything is better then nothing and you can get your cases very flat using your method. The nice thing about using Time Saver is it will not embed abrasive into your cases. As long as you get your cases flat and clean, your good Cool
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/24/2017 9:54am
Anything is better then nothing and you can get your cases very flat using your method. The nice thing about using Time Saver is it will...
Anything is better then nothing and you can get your cases very flat using your method. The nice thing about using Time Saver is it will not embed abrasive into your cases. As long as you get your cases flat and clean, your good Cool
Where do you get your TimeSave from? Stuff is expensive, $75 for 16oz?? Would be nice if I could get a smaller amount somewhere.

Post a reply to: 1992 KX500

The Latest