1994 KX250 Rebuild

Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 11:27am
I just got a 1994 kx250 today for $500. I know this bike needs some TLC, but I noticed that there is a Kawasaki pro circuit team usa sticker under the front fender. A named carved in the side of the motor(which is a 97 I discovered by running numbers). I can tell by the keifer carb and fmf gold series pipe someone has put serious work in this bike.Also this bike was produced in Japan not the United States.

One marking that I am not sure of is 72.0 mm piston stroke marking on the housing near the shifter. Does anyone know what that means before I start tearing into this bad boy and order parts that maybe arent right? Is there anything that I should be weary of before getting to deep in this build? I have rebuild stock bikes several times, but this will be my first bike with possible upgraded internals.
|
Kidkawie
12/31/2019 1:28am
Nothing special about those parts and all the old KX250s have the info on the left case.

Check your powervalves for wear. Theres a guy on fb reproducing them.

ledger
12/31/2019 11:11am
Snap more up close pic's if you don't mind, and we can see if the bike is special or just another run of the mill. Good deal you got if the bike run's well.
1/1/2020 8:09am
Here are some more pics. I have already taken the plastics off, and I was getting ready to clean the carb because it wasnt getting fuel.

The Shop

1/1/2020 9:09am
No matter what, great bike to restore! LaRocco dominated on that bike in ‘94. What is your plan with it? Man cave beauty? Or are vintage racer?
1/1/2020 10:30am
mxracer106 wrote:
No matter what, great bike to restore! LaRocco dominated on that bike in ‘94. What is your plan with it? Man cave beauty? Or are vintage...
No matter what, great bike to restore! LaRocco dominated on that bike in ‘94. What is your plan with it? Man cave beauty? Or are vintage racer?
I bought it looking to get back into racing. I havent raced since I was 16 and messed up my knee bad on a berm that gave out to the point it took me 6 months to walk again without crutches. I really want to restore it to its former glory with all the money that has already been put in it, but I want to do it right. I saw the graphics and upgrades and thought to ask around before I tore too deep into it.
1/4/2020 9:17am
So after getting the carb adjusted the motor locked up almost immediately. It did have oil in it because I just put fresh in. I have the motor off, and apparently the crankshaft bearings are shot. Whoever had this bike running last majorly overheated this bike. There is heat discoloration on the crank and rod. The bearing ring is broken in several places. The good news is that everything else looks good, and it appears to have recently had a full rebuild. Everything is Wiseco imcluding a 68.5mm cylinder sleeve. New Clutch plates and the transmission looks good. There was not any evidence of oil and coolant mixing anywhere, so I am hoping there is not any major damage to the housing
500crazy
1/6/2020 12:42pm
Great bike to restore for sure, I'm restoring a 94 kx250, long process, I have 4 kids and work shift work. I going oem for now. They look amazing.
1/6/2020 3:02pm
500crazy wrote:
Great bike to restore for sure, I'm restoring a 94 kx250, long process, I have 4 kids and work shift work. I going oem for now...
Great bike to restore for sure, I'm restoring a 94 kx250, long process, I have 4 kids and work shift work. I going oem for now. They look amazing.
I love this bike, and the fact that it was already full of performance part upgrades that are in great shape was a bonus. Good luck on your build. I work as a graphic designer and web developer so work can be sporatic. I have 3 kids too, so I know how it goes.
bonseff
1/6/2020 3:16pm
I love this bike, and the fact that it was already full of performance part upgrades that are in great shape was a bonus. Good luck...
I love this bike, and the fact that it was already full of performance part upgrades that are in great shape was a bonus. Good luck on your build. I work as a graphic designer and web developer so work can be sporatic. I have 3 kids too, so I know how it goes.
Word up, I have the same career with kiddos. These builds are important to take your mind off of clients and all the bs that goes with the profession. Good luck on your build, fellow designer!
Kidkawie
1/7/2020 12:56am
Did you mix oil and gas?
1/7/2020 11:27am
Kidkawie wrote:
Did you mix oil and gas?
I used a standard 50:1 ratio. It is what I run in my chainsaw and wedeater all the time.

Post a reply to: 1994 KX250 Rebuild

The Latest