Related:
Create New Tag
jt.hagerty jt.hagerty
2/17/2021 5:27 AM

So while I'm tracking down parts for my 1994 GasGas EC 125 I decided to do a racer build on my FE 501 Husaberg. I picked the bike up a couple weeks ago, I was told it ran but when I kicked it through it made a bad noise. I took the flywheel off and the ignition was loose, snugged everything up and it fired right up. The bike needs a couple things to be ready to race, correct muffler, tires, seat cover (ordered an original blue MXA cover), brake pads and a few other odds and ends. Someone had cur the back off the original fender, which I can't find a replacement for. I purchased a universal blue UFO fender and installed it, I think it will look cool with the blue seat cover.

Some of you may have seen my thread on the Moto Topics section about the 4 stroke nationals.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/4-Stroke-Nationals,1387574

My goal for the bike is to build it as a bike that would have raced the 4 stroke nationals in the mid 90's. Some of the bikes that raced the series had a smaller tank, if anyone would have a lead on one of the smaller tanks please let me know.

The pictures of the bike with the headlight is how the bike looked with I got it.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Sidecar Sidecar
2/17/2021 9:58 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I built an early Berg back in 2011 for Evo Racing in the 500 class, it held its own against the big CR and KX 500s, even did the VMXdN at Farleigh in 2011 but didn’t have a very good weekend... I raced them back in the day from 98-02 I think, great bikes, I could run in the 250 2 stroke class at a lot of local races, had a lot of ex Joel Smets factory bits, had some good help from a local dealer, needed it too, taught me a lot about building motors...

Yours looks awesome, keep the photos coming 😃👍🏻
Sidecar Sidecar
2/17/2021 10:02 AM

Also...

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

We currently run a 660 Berg motor in our sidecar after retiring our KX500 powered outfit last year...

jt.hagerty jt.hagerty
2/17/2021 10:11 AM
Sidecar wrote:

I built an ...more

Where did you find the smaller tank? The bikes look 100 times better with a smaller tank.

Sidecar Sidecar
2/17/2021 10:31 AM

Bought it at a classic bike show... only paid £40 for it... There is a guy in Italy that makes them for your model, but they are not cheap... I will find him on Instagram later and look for a picture...

Sidecar Sidecar
2/17/2021 10:48 AM
Photo
Photo

Here’s the Berg tank and the Instagram page to contact them...
jt.hagerty jt.hagerty
3/4/2021 10:26 AM

A little update on the big Husaberg. I installed the correct muffler, changed the blue fender to yellow, tuned the carb and fixed a few other bugs. After spending a couple hours figuring out how to start it, it actually starts fairly easily. I purchased a set of preprinted numbers from Decal Works but I think they are too small, I'll probably go back to the old school numbers. I hope to get this thing on a mx track in the next week or so. My new NOS MXA seat cover should be here today.

Photo
Photo

moto804 moto804
3/6/2021 5:12 AM

As goofy as that long low tank looks, there is some reason to keep it. The stock one keeps all that fuel weight about 6" lower (closer to the center of rotation on the bike) rather than having all the fuel way up at the top like most bikes.

My dad was a huge proponent of the handling benefits of that weight shift. He would never fill his tank more than half full to keep the weight low. Didnt need more than that for most motos. I didn't ride his 95 enough to say for sure if there was a change compared to his 99 that came with the shorter (higher) tank. Might be something to try back to back if you end up finding a smaller tank.

jt.hagerty jt.hagerty
3/23/2021 5:51 AM

I finally figured out how to start this thing. It definitely isn't a screamer, the shorter you shift it the faster it goes. I found a small crack in the rear wheel, once I find spokes, I think I'm going to put gold rims on it. I also still need to find someone to make graphics for it.

Photo

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry