1993 KX125 Build

Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 8:59pm
Just picked up this 1993 KX125 from my wife's brother. Plan is to restore it into a runner and give it to my wife's sister as a gift.

Seems to have a few good things going for it, already has the hard to find PC pipe and stinger silencer. PC worked on the suspension back in period (although looks to need a rebuild). Looks like a PC clutch perch. Seems to have relatively low hours overall.

Some concerns: My father in law seems to remember it was sleeved at some point in time, so may look into trying to find a new cylinder. Some oil on the stand, thinking shift shaft seal, countershaft seal, or separated oil coming out of carb (gas was left on when I got it, hasn't been touched in ~6 years)

Plan is new plastics, rebuild suspension, inspect/grease/replace all chassis bearings, rebuild calipers/master cylinders, rebuild carb, inspect cylinder.

|
12/15/2020 6:36am
Finally started to tear into this, the contest that Cam and others are hosting was a good motivation to get it started.

Teardown has gone pretty smoothly so far

I have found that there was a major sealing issue between the pipe and the silencer which has blown carbon all over the back of the cases, carb, air boot, shock, linkage, swingarm etc. On my RMs, there is a rubber seal between pipe and silencer, didn't have one on this bike. Is it missing or did these not come with those seals?

Also, any tips to get the carbon cleaned off the cases? pretty much everything is going to go in the parts washer, but trying to avoid splitting cases if I can.

Second problem, tab for the lower radiator mount on the left hand side of the bike has snapped off

Third problem, bolts holding the Works Connection frame guards on were pretty rusted, were able to crack 3 out of 4 loose, was struggling with the 4th and just thinking about adding some heat and penetrating oil when she rounded off on me. First time I have ever done that, so need to get to the store and buy and extractor.

Last thing, I have never seen a spark plug do this before.

12/15/2020 10:52am
jt.hagerty wrote:
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 93 KX 125 as well, for the second time. https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1993-KX-125,1368642 Make sure you check your frame over. My frame...
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 93 KX 125 as well, for the second time.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1993-KX-125,1368642

Make sure you check your frame over. My frame had a few cracks in it, this is why I'm rebuilding it again. I've learned a lot rebuilding it, if you need any help let me know.
Yeah I've gone through your build, looks great! Do you have any sort of rubber seal between expansion chamber and silencer? After I go through all the work to get this cleaned up, I don't want to blow carbon all over everything again
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2187th
12/15/2020 1:17pm
Yeah I've gone through your build, looks great! Do you have any sort of rubber seal between expansion chamber and silencer? After I go through all...
Yeah I've gone through your build, looks great! Do you have any sort of rubber seal between expansion chamber and silencer? After I go through all the work to get this cleaned up, I don't want to blow carbon all over everything again
I didn't when I first built it, it was tuned pretty good and didn't have oil blow everywhere. I just ordered a rubber connector for a late model KTM 125, I've used these on other builds and they work great.

The Shop

Kidkawie
12/16/2020 12:04am
Heater hose and 2 zipties work.
9/9/2021 10:15am
Things slowed way down on this, my wife's RM locked up the beginning of the year so my time was dedicated to getting that back up and running. Then it got way too hot in the garage to continue work on the KX.

Finally had time to tear into this a little more, took the bottom end and the frame to Factory Edge for them to tear into and weld that radiator tab back on. https://www.facebook.com/factoryedgemotors/

They found that the inner clutch cover had been cracked and rewelded at some point and wasn't sealing very well. Worked out to be a bit cheaper to buy another cover off of ebay for a 93 instead of re-welding and machining. They also found that the crank bearing was on it's last leg so we are splitting cases and doing full vapor blast to do it right.

Having to split cases is going to cut into some of the cosmetic budget so for now we will keep plastics and just retrue wheels and do new bearings.

11/17/2021 4:33pm
Another update, the replacement case that I bought off ebay showed up cracked as well, then got scammed by someone off facebook trying to buy another so just had the builder do what he could to salvage the original. Hopefully it doesn't leak.

Got started on getting the surface rust off the pipe. Going to take a few passes and letting it soak in WD to start to loosen it. Feels like we had about 20 years of surface rust to start with.

Silencer cleaned up really well, was hoping to do packing too but don't have a rivet tool and don't have time before our planned thanksgiving family riding trip to have someone do it for me. Add it to the list for next season.

11/17/2021 4:48pm
Also had AEO rebuild the suspension. Had them keep the original pro-circuit stickers for nostalgic cool factor.

11/23/2021 8:59pm
I have this. Not the exact era but at least it’s new and clean. Been sitting in my drawer for the past few years and I doubt I’ll use it.

If you want it let me know and I’ll just give it to you!

Post a reply to: 1993 KX125 Build

The Latest