1993 KX 125 - Finished....For Now

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/2/2019 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2022 5:20am
So over the weekend I drove 4 hours to pick this thing up. It popped up on Facebook Marketplace and I had to have it. My brother had one when they were new. It's a pretty solid bike just needs cleaned up and a few odds and ends. I'm going to tear it completely apart and go through it. This will be my "vintage" race bike next year. I could use a silencer if anyone has one laying around.

|
500crazy
12/2/2019 3:02pm
Score 👍, looks pretty good. What did u pay for it if u don't mind me asking. There's 1 for sale near me in New Zealand, he's asking $3k in same condition. Cheers
Premix4Life
Fantasy
1306th
12/2/2019 7:26pm
Amazing condition. Always liked the ‘93 graphics! Good luck!
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/3/2019 5:28am
500crazy wrote:
Score 👍, looks pretty good. What did u pay for it if u don't mind me asking. There's 1 for sale near me in New Zealand...
Score 👍, looks pretty good. What did u pay for it if u don't mind me asking. There's 1 for sale near me in New Zealand, he's asking $3k in same condition. Cheers
I paid $900 for it. It needs a little work but it's a solid starting point.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/3/2019 7:15am
I ordered a few parts for the bike yesterday. I have new plastic, PJ1 frame paint, graphics, seat cover, and even a used Applied triple clamp. I plan on starting to tear down the bike tonight. More pictures to follow.

The Shop

metabear18
12/3/2019 10:22pm
Impressive stuff you got there.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/5/2019 7:34am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2019 7:36am
So I started tearing the bike apart and I found a couple things that I will have to fix already. The chain has almost wore the subframe in two, and it's never a good sign when you take the seat off and see a dry filter. It also has the wrong silencer on it, I ordered a new PC one for it. I wish I could find a PC pipe to match.

12/6/2019 1:23pm
500crazy wrote:
Score 👍, looks pretty good. What did u pay for it if u don't mind me asking. There's 1 for sale near me in New Zealand...
People here in Australia expect the same kind of money for a bike work maybe $1000.
EB51
12/10/2019 11:02am
Here is one I finished last year for a little inspiration. They 93s are great bikes. It was my first big bike and I always regreted selling it.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/11/2019 10:14am
EB51 wrote:
Here is one I finished last year for a little inspiration. They 93s are great bikes. It was my first big bike and I always regreted...
Here is one I finished last year for a little inspiration. They 93s are great bikes. It was my first big bike and I always regreted selling it.
Where did you find the rotor cover and the PC fork decals?
EB51
12/11/2019 1:31pm
EB51 wrote:
Here is one I finished last year for a little inspiration. They 93s are great bikes. It was my first big bike and I always regreted...
jt.hagerty wrote:
Where did you find the rotor cover and the PC fork decals?
The Pro Circuit fork decals I got from Evo-Mx. The rotor cover is for a later model KX and required a lot of trimming to get it to fit around the brake line. I just liked the way it looked and made it work. I found the rotor cover on ebay but it took a lot of hunting and waiting to get a green one.
12/12/2019 12:24am
I raced a 92 and 93 kx125 and i loved them but they blew up with regularity. It was cranks. They just wouldnt last. I even snapped a rod in half once on my 1993. So i dont know if I would wanna race one now! I still liked the bike but it did make my dad have to spend long nights rebuilding engines.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/12/2019 4:52am
A little update on the bike, parts are starting to roll in. Graphics, plastics, seat cover, PC silencer, and a few other parts have showed up. I have the bike completely tore apart and I have painted the frame. I also bought a vented Acerbis number plate, I may try to make it work.

Rickyisms
12/13/2019 7:11am
EB51 wrote:
That's a beauty man nice work.
RyanLester761
12/13/2019 10:41am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2019 10:42am
I was gonna mention, the 94-98 kx125 silencer fits the 1993. But, you beat me to it and bought new from PC. Cool they had one in stock! I'll be following this build. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, Luke Johnson has parts in the Bazaar sales page. I bought the engine, but he might have a subframe for you.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/16/2019 10:11am
So I dug into the bike a little more over the weekend. The clutch drug when I rode the bike around the yard so I took the clutch cover off and everything looks good, except the loose nut that hold the whole clutch assembly in. That's not the only things I've found on the bike, no oil in the forks, rust pitting on the shock shaft, completely worn out linkage (the lower shock bearing was so bad it was wearing into the aluminum), seized linkage and swing arm bolts. This bike is a lot worse than I had originally thought.

I have installed all new suspension bearings, and started reassembling some of the pieces.

This week I will be dropping off the forks and the links to be anodized.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/23/2019 4:58am
I was able to work on the bike a little over the weekend. I installed the rear suspension, subframe and triple clamps. I had to throw the rest of the plastic on it to see what it is going to look like.

The original shock for the bike had rust on the shaft and was in super bad shape, a buddy's buddy had a shock laying around off a couple years newer KX. He told me it would fit, well it fits but it's super tight. I'm going to leave it on for now, but I may have to find another 93 shock to rebuild.

I can't decide if I like the stock plate or the vented one better.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
12/31/2019 10:09am
I made a small amount of progress on the bike yesterday. Bottom end is in the frame, bars are on and a few other bits installed.

I can't decide which bar pad. I'm thinking the yellow one.

Kidkawie
1/1/2020 1:04am
Nice build! If you dont like the color of the top clamp, you can strip the anno in a lye bath then polish the bare aluminum.
swodown348
1/1/2020 3:33pm
jt.hagerty wrote:
So I started tearing the bike apart and I found a couple things that I will have to fix already. The chain has almost wore the...
So I started tearing the bike apart and I found a couple things that I will have to fix already. The chain has almost wore the subframe in two, and it's never a good sign when you take the seat off and see a dry filter. It also has the wrong silencer on it, I ordered a new PC one for it. I wish I could find a PC pipe to match.

Looking good. PC Works pipes are definitely out there. I’ve been fortunate a few times, but it seems more of being in the right place at the right time just like everything else.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
1/2/2020 4:34am
Kidkawie wrote:
Nice build! If you dont like the color of the top clamp, you can strip the anno in a lye bath then polish the bare aluminum.
I already stripped the top clamp. I then coated both clamps with Cerakote - Burnt Bronze.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
1/6/2020 5:04am
The bike is slowly but surely coming together. I rebuilt the forks over the weekend and ordered a different rear wheel. This bike was in way worse condition that I expected when I purchased it. I've ended up having to but a different linkage, rear hub, have the cylinder re-plated, and other parts that I wasn't expecting.

On a side note, I purchased another bike over the weekend. My son will be turning 2 in a month and he has more toys than any one could ever play with, so I figured it was time for a PW. I'm more of a Husky guy and any other bike brand so I'm going to do the PW up to look like one of my Huskys.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
1/14/2020 6:10am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2020 6:11am
The KX is now on it's wheels and currently waiting to be finished. I need to send the cylinder off to be recoated and fix the pipe and it will be pretty much done. I also have a ton of decals coming from EVO MX for the bike as well. I'm excited to get this thing finished.

Over the weekend I traded my 1994 Husky 125 for a 1983 KTM 125. I figured since I have the KX I won't ride the Husky much and it will be nice to have a drum brake bike. It needs couple more things to finish and it will be good to go. I have ordered a set of NOS shrouds and a tank that looks ALOT more white that the one that is on the bike.

I also worked on the little man's bike a little. I think I'm going to have to get a new tank that is not quite as yellow.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
1/24/2020 10:07am
So progress on the bike has been slow that last couple weeks.

I received the last of the decals I had made for the bike earlier this week. I installed a pink set of fork decals but they don't "pop" like I would like. I have a set of yellow ones I'll probably change them out for. I sent the cylinder off to Millennium Technologies today, hopefully in a couple weeks I can take a spin on the bike.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
2/24/2020 7:36am
I finally got the cylinder back form Millennium. I spend Saturday buttoning this thing up, it fired up second kick. I still have a few things I want to do to it, new pipe, Works Connection glide plate, and rebuild the shock. But the biggest issue with the bike at the moment is the clutch will not release. I knew this was an issue before I tore the bike apart, I checked over everything while I had the bike apart but didn't see anything of concern. Well when I took the bike for a ride the clutch drug worse than before so I tore it apart again and I found the piece that holds the throw out bearing is cracked and flexing. Of course this piece is not longer available from Kawasaki.

jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
2/28/2020 4:30am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 4:32am
So I want to purchase a new set of rims for the bike but I can't decide what color. I have a set of silver Excel rims but I really like the look of gold or blue rims on this bike. Does anyone have any picture of their KX's with gold or blue rims? I will probably coat the hubs as well.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
3/25/2020 8:10am
A little update on the bike. I am currently waiting on a bladder to finish rebuilding the shock, I've installed a Boyesen Rad valve and I have ordered blue rims for it. I plan on having the hubs coated bronze, I think this will look pretty good with the blue rims.

I had a want to buy add in the for sale section of Vital looking for a PC pipe. I was contacted by a guy who goes by ritarider12 on here. He put me in contact with a "buddy" of his named Josh Reece, joshuareece431@gmail.com. He ended up scamming me out of some money for the pipe. It was stupid of me to buy something through friends and family, but I've learned my lesson. Hopefully he doesn't scam anyone else on here. So if anyone has a pipe for a 92-93 KX they would like to sell I'm still on the hunt.
jt.hagerty
Fantasy
2081st
3/30/2020 5:05am
Well the bike is pretty much finished, if they ever are finished. I'm still having trouble getting the clutch to release.

I'm very happy with the way the bike turned out. I've pretty much touched every piece of the bike.

WDSRCR
3/30/2020 6:29am
jt.hagerty wrote:
Well the bike is pretty much finished, if they ever are finished. I'm still having trouble getting the clutch to release. I'm very happy with the...
Well the bike is pretty much finished, if they ever are finished. I'm still having trouble getting the clutch to release.

I'm very happy with the way the bike turned out. I've pretty much touched every piece of the bike.

Outstanding!! My best friend in High School had a 93. I remember being so jealous of that bike compared to the beat up early 80's 80cc bikes I was riding.

You did an awesome job so far. I am sure you will get that clutch figured out.

On a side note, I am looking for a Pro Circuit Works for my 98 KX250 if you or anyone else comes across one.

Post a reply to: 1993 KX 125 - Finished....For Now

The Latest