1991 kx500 (99% complete)

Captainc
2/21/2018 11:24am
bm201 wrote:
Hey guys, did a rewind (vintage) race last year at Unadilla on a clapped 97 cr250 I bought 2 days before the race. I had a...
Hey guys, did a rewind (vintage) race last year at Unadilla on a clapped 97 cr250 I bought 2 days before the race. I had a blast but decided moving forward I’d get a bike to wrench on over the winter to be ready for next year. Picked up a 91 kx500 that ran but had an issue with 3rd gear. It also has an 07 kx450 front end on it. I plan to make it a full frame up build, but no A kit, no titanium etc with my budget lol. The plan is to get a rolling chassis and then tackle the motor. Here are a few pics of it prior and a few progress pics. I’m honestly not sure on the end result as to what I’m going for but here are a few options I’m looking at. Enjoy! I’ll post as I go.

bm201
4/5/2018 9:11am
Little update. Decided to step back and change a few things. Had the hubs re cerakoted a burnt bronze color, picked up a set of kx250f forks with thr DLC lowers and had the uppers anodized a “kashima” color. Finally decided what graphics theme I wanted to go with and evomx is making me up a custom 97 kx250 emig kit. Still waiting to do the 2 piece clutch cover which I will have the inner cerakoted burnt bronze and run boyesen covers. Slowly getting there but will be finished here in the next month or so I’m hoping!

Sandblaster
4/5/2018 9:36am
Love that Kashima coating...
The 2 piece adapter rings should be out of production today or tomorrow so it should be a couple of weeks before I get them..
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
4/5/2018 12:39pm
this 500 better get the holly

The Shop

WW444
4/6/2018 8:46am
Builds like this make the build section my favorite. Awesome build man!
bm201
4/6/2018 3:34pm
WW444 wrote:
Builds like this make the build section my favorite. Awesome build man!
Thanks man I appreciate that! This whole bike build section is awesome, everyone has different bikes and different tastes and you learn so many cool tricks and see so many great builds. I am the epitome of trying to make a nice bike on a cheap budget so I appreciate all the kind words from everyone.
bm201
4/12/2018 4:51pm
Making a little progress. Was undecided on what to do with clamps. Pro circuit was the obvious choice but my wallet said better think again. I’ll have the wheels done and mounted kater this weekend and then just waiting on graphics to come in. I’m overall pretty happy.

mwssquad827
4/14/2018 11:26pm
CAn you give more details on your front end swap!! I have a complete 08 450 front end I want to put on my 95 k5... you took 2mm off the length.. diameter change? Steering stop change?

Btw very nice bike
bm201
4/15/2018 8:03am
CAn you give more details on your front end swap!! I have a complete 08 450 front end I want to put on my 95 k5...
CAn you give more details on your front end swap!! I have a complete 08 450 front end I want to put on my 95 k5... you took 2mm off the length.. diameter change? Steering stop change?

Btw very nice bike
Thank you! I did buy the bike as a basketcase with the already converted front end. After some disassembly I noticed it was hacked and had to be done right. My best advice I could give after doing all the modifications is if you can find a set of 97+ Kx500 triple clamps you wont need to do any modifications at all. However if you cant, you can contact emig racing and have a set made, or they can make you a steering stem that fits the 08 triples but is the same threads and pitch as the kx500. I had a buddy lathe my 250f stem down to a kx500 one for me to avoid paying the money. On the stock steering stop the previous owner attached a 1” block with a set screw that just bolted right over the old steering stop. The bottom bearings are the same, but you will use your kx5 top bearing and nut.

“Sandblaster” on here runs a facebook page called kx guru racing and you can also search google under kx guru and it has all the steps for this and other modifications you can do to the kx5 to help modernize it. Again if I had to go back I would try to find a set of 97+ triple clamps and just mount and go lol. Best of luck!
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/16/2018 3:41am
CAn you give more details on your front end swap!! I have a complete 08 450 front end I want to put on my 95 k5...

Btw very nice bike
bm201 wrote:
Thank you! I did buy the bike as a basketcase with the already converted front end. After some disassembly I noticed it was hacked and had...
Thank you! I did buy the bike as a basketcase with the already converted front end. After some disassembly I noticed it was hacked and had to be done right. My best advice I could give after doing all the modifications is if you can find a set of 97+ Kx500 triple clamps you wont need to do any modifications at all. However if you cant, you can contact emig racing and have a set made, or they can make you a steering stem that fits the 08 triples but is the same threads and pitch as the kx500. I had a buddy lathe my 250f stem down to a kx500 one for me to avoid paying the money. On the stock steering stop the previous owner attached a 1” block with a set screw that just bolted right over the old steering stop. The bottom bearings are the same, but you will use your kx5 top bearing and nut.

“Sandblaster” on here runs a facebook page called kx guru racing and you can also search google under kx guru and it has all the steps for this and other modifications you can do to the kx5 to help modernize it. Again if I had to go back I would try to find a set of 97+ triple clamps and just mount and go lol. Best of luck!
There are a ton of ways to do it. So the 97 trees are 54mm top and 56mm bottoms? If so thats real easy.

I used 2010 450 trees, bored top to fit forks (yamaha KYB SSS). Pressed out old steering stem, pressed in KX500 stem and sleeved the top tree to fit the smaller stem. I have a build thread 1992 KX500, some details on the first page. But this options tough to do with out a lathe and a press.

The whole problem is the top bearing being so small leaves zero options (that I know of) to change the bearing to fit the larger 450/250 modern tree stem.

Now if I do another 500, I will cut the bearing cup off the frame. Weld in a larger cup. Sounds like too much? Not really, the K5 headtube is three pieces actually. With the larger bearing cup, you can use pretty much any front end you want, different offset trees, etc.. with out messing with stems and adapters, etc..

Also, Trick Eng. can bore any trees, quick turn around, fair prices.
bm201
4/16/2018 3:54am

Btw very nice bike
bm201 wrote:
Thank you! I did buy the bike as a basketcase with the already converted front end. After some disassembly I noticed it was hacked and had...

Markee wrote:
There are a ton of ways to do it. So the 97 trees are 54mm top and 56mm bottoms? If so thats real easy. I used...
There are a ton of ways to do it. So the 97 trees are 54mm top and 56mm bottoms? If so thats real easy.

I used 2010 450 trees, bored top to fit forks (yamaha KYB SSS). Pressed out old steering stem, pressed in KX500 stem and sleeved the top tree to fit the smaller stem. I have a build thread 1992 KX500, some details on the first page. But this options tough to do with out a lathe and a press.

The whole problem is the top bearing being so small leaves zero options (that I know of) to change the bearing to fit the larger 450/250 modern tree stem.

Now if I do another 500, I will cut the bearing cup off the frame. Weld in a larger cup. Sounds like too much? Not really, the K5 headtube is three pieces actually. With the larger bearing cup, you can use pretty much any front end you want, different offset trees, etc.. with out messing with stems and adapters, etc..

Also, Trick Eng. can bore any trees, quick turn around, fair prices.
http://oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573

Based off of sandblasters research the 97-04 clamps will accept the forks and bolt right in. Of course I couldn’t find a set to save my life so I pressed out the stem and used my kx500 stem to replicate it on the lathe to my 250 one.

Btw Markee the 92 is lookimg great!
bm201
4/17/2018 4:15am
Got the front wheel end and it looks good! Getting closer.

YZed250
4/18/2018 11:21am
LOVE the ano uppers over the DLC lower legs. SO SICK! These are my next forks. Well done on the build.
bm201
4/18/2018 2:25pm
YZed250 wrote:
LOVE the ano uppers over the DLC lower legs. SO SICK! These are my next forks. Well done on the build.
Thank you I appreciate the kind words! Graphics are on their way and hopefully have it wrapped up soon. Proof of the seatcover from evomx. The emig patch will go over the hole at the top front.

bm201
5/5/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2018 4:37pm
Getting close. Just waiting on the 2 piece clutch cover (who I got from sandblaster on here awesome guy) to get machined and welded, then to cerakote. It’s 99% finished and will be getting ridden tomorrow (stock cover.) I decided to go with the emig theme because I grew up in that era and lived watching mc and emig go at it. I couldn’t find any decent graphics I liked and evo mx said they could make them for me. It’s a bit of a mut (91 bike, 94 tranny and shift shaft, 97 graphics, 2011 forks, 17 style front end) but I do like the way it came together. I’ll have finished pics and a ride update in the next week or so! Thanks for looking guys.
Sandblaster
5/5/2018 5:44pm
Such a nice job.
That bike will turn heads and keep you riding for years.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/5/2018 5:59pm
Nice! Awesome work man
Byron909
5/6/2018 7:36am
Nice bike, always like seeing an old 500 put back together.
I have a 94 kx, i fixed up about 6 years back, it has 08 kx450 clamps, with 250f twin chamber showas, and if i recall emig racing made a stem to mount those clamps on to my frame. I remember after buying the stem it all just bolted up, and the offset was right and everything.
Im pretty sure what i bought was a normal part they sold, not like a one off deal.
bm201
5/6/2018 9:25am
Byron909 wrote:
Nice bike, always like seeing an old 500 put back together. I have a 94 kx, i fixed up about 6 years back, it has 08...
Nice bike, always like seeing an old 500 put back together.
I have a 94 kx, i fixed up about 6 years back, it has 08 kx450 clamps, with 250f twin chamber showas, and if i recall emig racing made a stem to mount those clamps on to my frame. I remember after buying the stem it all just bolted up, and the offset was right and everything.
Im pretty sure what i bought was a normal part they sold, not like a one off deal.
Awesome! Yeah they sell the kx500 stem for kx250f/450f clamps for like $100. I had a friend machine my 250f stem to match the 500 stem just to save me a few bucks. Alot of modifications you can do to these bikes that kxguru racing has been figuring out!
bm201
5/13/2018 7:16pm
Putting a stamp on it for now until after the Unadilla rewind race. Had a blast helping DTR830 do his 96, we have a few good looking machines that are a combined 49 years old! Making 2 strokes great again..
5/13/2018 9:10pm
First of all.. .. thank you for your service.. i was USAF for 20 years but i always say the Marines are the real military. I really did have it "country club" at least with my job compared to the guys who actually had their necks out on the line... .so thank you again.

Secondly, you did a wonderful job on your bike and it looks every bit as good, in my estimation, as an open cheque book bike build.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
5/13/2018 9:58pm
“you did a wonderful job on your bike and it looks every bit as good, in my estimation, as an open cheque book bike build. “

I always tell Him it’s like having $6k in bank at any given moment.
bm201
5/14/2018 4:14am
First of all.. .. thank you for your service.. i was USAF for 20 years but i always say the Marines are the real military. I...
First of all.. .. thank you for your service.. i was USAF for 20 years but i always say the Marines are the real military. I really did have it "country club" at least with my job compared to the guys who actually had their necks out on the line... .so thank you again.

Secondly, you did a wonderful job on your bike and it looks every bit as good, in my estimation, as an open cheque book bike build.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.
Thank you for your service! The best decision I have ever made. No open checkbook on this bike (or any bike of mine) lol but I appreciate the compliment. Alot of people don’t like saying how much they have into their bike but I’m around 4k give or take. Theres always more that I’d like to do but I’m happy with the current state for the first build.
Byron909
5/14/2018 5:44am
Great job, looks sharp!
Growing up i dreamed of riding hondas, but broken kawis are all i could afford. Any of these older kx builds i see always bring back memories from good times!
Have fun riding!
Taiterator
5/14/2018 4:55pm
Awesome build! Great Attention to detail and I love the Emig Graphics and Seat. Really inspiring me to find another bike to bring back to life....

Post a reply to: 1991 kx500 (99% complete)

The Latest