1991 CR250R Project Bike Build

Lightning78
12/10/2019 9:03am
bm201 wrote:
If you wanted a brand new works looking pipe, simply buy a new platinum and you can have a plating shop strip the nickel plating. Then...
If you wanted a brand new works looking pipe, simply buy a new platinum and you can have a plating shop strip the nickel plating. Then it’s a raw pipe a d you can sand and heat the welds. Cost me $20 at my local plating shop here. Bike looks great!
Maxx MRP wrote:
thanks for the information, I did not know that it was possible.
Neither did I… .. gonna have to make some calls now bec the nearly BRAND NEW fmf pipe on my 03 KX250 Has an area the size of my fist where the chrome plating is flaking off and since it came on the bike when I bought it I can't get anything done warranty wise from fmf so I've been looking into having the playing stripped off
Maxx MRP
12/13/2019 4:12pm
Thx All WinkWink

Recovered frame (part 2)
it has another look now, there yes it is bright white, I let it pack since reassembly is not yet planned, I am waiting to move and anyway I have not recovered all the parts, so storage for later.

Maxx MRP
1/1/2020 9:05am
Hello
sorry no work on the bike for a few weeks, I have to move to a new house and a new workshop.
I wish you a very happy new year 2020 and my best wishes.

The Shop

Maxx MRP
1/8/2020 6:44am
I like days like that, well it's really not much but it is a pleasure to receive parts for the 250 CR.
To test, but I think it will do the job, compared to the old original hoses which may no longer be very tight.

Maxx MRP
1/12/2020 1:57pm
not too much time for the CR, but today I took a few minutes to check and repair the needle of the low-speed compression adjustment of the shock absorber that will take place on the bike.
So rectify the needle and it starts again. see to have the red screw re-anodized.

Maxx MRP
1/15/2020 1:10pm
The GHOST Topic Unsure

Small arrival of parts for the 250 CR today, it is always a pleasure even if it is not much.
You can see there a HotRods crankshaft which is logically sold for the 250 CR from 92 to 2001, but after information taken, it turns out that the HotRods (probably other brands too and OEMs) are compatible with the 90/91 ( see even since the 86) so I wanted to check for myself, the vilo of my engine being nickel I will either keep this one in case I have a problem one day and since it will become a rare commodity (it it's been a while since it was not in stock) or resell it. or in the last case I mount it direct, I don't know anything yet.
Then for the handlebars you know it I like the gray handles grips (and if you do not know it now it is done) to make connection with the air box and the future protections of fork and disc in gray also as in the era of factory Honda RCs, and to finish the piece "Vintage" by excelence, the front fender stiffener, I had that on almost all my motorcycles in the 80s, so this is also a little reminder of the past .
I don't know yet what my motorcycle will look like after reassembly, I have only a vague idea, but I hope that it will turn heads in the paddock with fractures of the retina of the eyes

Maxx MRP
1/16/2020 6:34am
OEM 1991 vs HotRods 92-2001

they are the same

onlysuki
1/16/2020 1:20pm
omg you put some really good work in this bike!!
And som money🤣
looks great!!
1/16/2020 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 3:32pm
Great job man. I like your work. I thought it was only me who took pictures with the engine sitting on a chair lmao
1/16/2020 3:34pm
Maxx MRP wrote:
So I'll try to find specific words for the Google translator to understand and transcribe what I'm saying. first, the cleaning phase. I use brake cleaner...
So I'll try to find specific words for the Google translator to understand and transcribe what I'm saying.

first, the cleaning phase.
I use brake cleaner degreaser, then dishwashing soap and green scocth-brite

then use car body sandpaper with the water, from different grains from 80 to 2000

and finally, I have a blow of heat gun, to give back the gloss disappeared

I can’t wait to start on my plastics great job
Maxx MRP
1/16/2020 3:35pm
I needed a Boyesen Rad Valve for a client, so I took the opportunity to add parts for the 250 CR so as not to have to add additional shipping costs when reaching carriage paid.
So not much, a key for the clutch because I have the vise grip made for but I do not like to use it too much, it is more stable and for the price I do not care to make it a.
The good hose to connect the tank to the carburetor, being the wrong size last time, a can of filter oil (very good I use it since 2010) and finally a small part made in Racetech for my rear shock absorber , for those who know Wink

1/16/2020 3:36pm
Trust me we are always watching. Your doing great work. I sure wouldn’t mind seeing what it looks like with every part you have all n one picture 🤪🤓
Maxx MRP
1/16/2020 3:37pm
onlysuki wrote:
omg you put some really good work in this bike!!
And som money🤣
looks great!!
yes
this bike will make me sleep on the street Laughing
Maxx MRP
1/16/2020 3:38pm
Great job man. I like your work. I thought it was only me who took pictures with the engine sitting on a chair lmao
LaughingGrinningSilly hey hey
Maxx MRP
1/16/2020 3:41pm
Trust me we are always watching. Your doing great work. I sure wouldn’t mind seeing what it looks like with every part you have all n...
Trust me we are always watching. Your doing great work. I sure wouldn’t mind seeing what it looks like with every part you have all n one picture 🤪🤓
as soon as possible I will resume work on the bike, I have not moved forward since October approximately.
I just bought a house with a garage to make it my workshop and it is here that I will start again the work on this motorcycle, once I would have done the work of fitting out the workshop
bonseff
1/16/2020 4:03pm
Maxx MRP wrote:
as soon as possible I will resume work on the bike, I have not moved forward since October approximately. I just bought a house with a...
as soon as possible I will resume work on the bike, I have not moved forward since October approximately.
I just bought a house with a garage to make it my workshop and it is here that I will start again the work on this motorcycle, once I would have done the work of fitting out the workshop
Same here, moved homes recently and my 89 stopped all together, I get it.
1/16/2020 4:32pm
Maxx MRP wrote:
as soon as possible I will resume work on the bike, I have not moved forward since October approximately. I just bought a house with a...
bonseff wrote:
Same here, moved homes recently and my 89 stopped all together, I get it.
All in time. I’m sure that workshop will be sweet. Can’t wait to see it. Let’s see what she looks like too when your done. I can’t wait to see the end result of that bike also. My house was built in 1932 and my workshop is actually leaning but I make due with it. I keep it as clean as I can. Would be nice to have a new floor and cabinets. What I need is a toolbox. I have a small toolbox overflowing and a husky cart. But yea good stuff man
1/16/2020 4:40pm
I’ve been putting work into mine between each build but she’s ready for a new floor and just I need lighting too that’s a really big deal. I only had one small light but now I switched to LED
Maxx MRP
1/17/2020 12:08pm
All in time. I’m sure that workshop will be sweet. Can’t wait to see it. Let’s see what she looks like too when your done. I...
All in time. I’m sure that workshop will be sweet. Can’t wait to see it. Let’s see what she looks like too when your done. I can’t wait to see the end result of that bike also. My house was built in 1932 and my workshop is actually leaning but I make due with it. I keep it as clean as I can. Would be nice to have a new floor and cabinets. What I need is a toolbox. I have a small toolbox overflowing and a husky cart. But yea good stuff man
I have not yet moved to my new house, I would take photos before, during and after the work.

your garage is nice, I like the old look, it's authentic Wink

Maxx MRP
1/23/2020 4:09pm
Here is the rear shock absorber and the half clutch cover in cerakote paint at a friend's house with my son, I will collect them tomorrow afternoon.

Maxx MRP
1/25/2020 4:11pm
half clutch housing and rear shock body returned to the house and small covering work (misery cache) on the radiator grilles, just to give them a little facelift while waiting for new ones one day.

Maxx MRP
3/4/2020 2:37pm
Hi all
not much new since, it's still on stand-by, but I received a bag of Pro Circuit stickers for temperature control and the shock spring preload nuts.
it doesn't take much to be happy, as Balou would say

Maxx MRP
4/17/2020 3:45pm
Hello All

confinement Covid-19 requires and not the possibility of going to do the work of my new house and workshop (15 km therefore prohibited, I would have to be within 2 km)
suddenly I do not advance on the restoration since I have no place to work, the bike is completely in pieces so in the boxes it does not take up space.
I therefore finished covering the radiator fins, since it was not found in new ones, unless I found a model of another motorcycle that could be mounted on it.

and some pictures from before

Maxx MRP
4/29/2020 3:49pm
1st video concerning the restoration of the 250 CR 91.
This is the 1st part, so as not to make the video too long which can make you want to zap.

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
5/1/2020 10:29pm
Great work Maxx. Impressive your patience and attention to the very small stuff.
I am super interested in how you used the heat gun to bring the shine to the tank. I am trying to get the shine back on a airbox. I believe the sanding is all done. Any tips on using heat? Videos? Anything would be much appreciated...

Post a reply to: 1991 CR250R Project Bike Build

The Latest