1989 CR125 Project...

Edited Date/Time 11/23/2022 5:39am
I posted this in the wrong forum so here's a copy:

I just picked one up and this is my first "vintage?" rebuild. If you have restored/rebuilt one I would appreciate any feedback as to tips/tricks/resources and also the best sources to buy all the parts. Or, let me know if you have any parts for sale? I want the bike to look clean/new when I'm done, but I'm not planning on a full restoration for now. I'll be riding it when it's done.

Right off the bat I don't believe there are custom hubs available for these old bikes correct? Just powder coat or anodize the stock hubs? I'm already torn between gold or black rims...even though they aren't native to the bike i will probably be going with one or the other.

I pretty much need everything, so let me know where you guys get your stuff. I'm in Southern California.

|
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/17/2019 3:31pm
i dont really have any advice but looks like a great bike to be starting with, looks fairly clean from afar.
4/17/2019 3:39pm
soggy wrote:
i dont really have any advice but looks like a great bike to be starting with, looks fairly clean from afar.
It's got decent bones for sure and good to start with. It looks cleaner in the photo than it really is. I need to go through everything. Going to start with powder coating the frame and go from there.
bonseff
4/17/2019 4:43pm
Here is one I am working on

If any of this is helpful, great! I am here to answer any questions you might have. Heads up.. the power valve is a oain in the butt.

All the best with your build!

-Robbie
bonseff
4/17/2019 5:10pm
Pick up some 2006'ish yz pegs. they bolt right up.

The Shop

4/17/2019 10:21pm
bonseff wrote:
Pick up some 2006'ish yz pegs. they bolt right up.
Thanks Man, great progress on your bike. I might be reaching out for sure if I run into some roadblocks...
sandman768
4/18/2019 6:25am
Looks like a Nice clean bike to start with.....
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
4/18/2019 7:14am
dubya might have hubs
billyslad
4/18/2019 11:06pm
Are u going to race it ?
Check the weight of the talon hubs vs. Stock
Manbearpig
4/19/2019 1:55am
I posted this in the wrong forum so here's a copy: I just picked one up and this is my first "vintage?" rebuild. If you have...

I just picked one up and this is my first "vintage?" rebuild. If you have restored/rebuilt one I would appreciate any feedback as to tips/tricks/resources and also the best sources to buy all the parts. Or, let me know if you have any parts for sale? I want the bike to look clean/new when I'm done, but I'm not planning on a full restoration for now. I'll be riding it when it's done.

Right off the bat I don't believe there are custom hubs available for these old bikes correct? Just powder coat or anodize the stock hubs? I'm already torn between gold or black rims...even though they aren't native to the bike i will probably be going with one or the other.

I pretty much need everything, so let me know where you guys get your stuff. I'm in Southern California.

Nice platform to start with. Looks like a score. Bolt modern YZ pegs up. Here's my 89 cr500 footpegs using modern YZ pegs
4/19/2019 9:17am
billyslad wrote:
Are u going to race it ?
Check the weight of the talon hubs vs. Stock
If the stock hubs are lighter I'll refinish and run them.....I'm betting the stock is lighter now that you mention it. Thanks for the tip.
4/19/2019 9:38am
I posted this in the wrong forum so here's a copy: I just picked one up and this is my first "vintage?" rebuild. If you have...

Manbearpig wrote:
Nice platform to start with. Looks like a score. Bolt modern YZ pegs up. Here's my 89 cr500 footpegs using modern YZ pegs [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/19/340303/s1200_IMG_20190318_135749_901.jpg[/img]
Nice platform to start with. Looks like a score. Bolt modern YZ pegs up. Here's my 89 cr500 footpegs using modern YZ pegs
Great looking pegs...can you let mom know what year/model YZ those pegs are from? They bolt right on with no issues correct?
bonseff
4/19/2019 9:39am
I am hesitant to give you this tip because now we are competing for parts, but here it go:

hop on babbiitts and bookmark the 89cr125 landing page. They have exploded views of everything and part numbers.
Lots of parts will have no price because they don't hold stock.

Find the part numbers you need and talk to your local honda parts dealer and let them know what you are building. They can access a database as well and sometimes you can find stock parts from a far away dealer (old on the shelf) and pay over phone and have it shipped to you.
4/19/2019 9:46am
bonseff wrote:
I am hesitant to give you this tip because now we are competing for parts, but here it go: hop on babbiitts and bookmark the 89cr125...
I am hesitant to give you this tip because now we are competing for parts, but here it go:

hop on babbiitts and bookmark the 89cr125 landing page. They have exploded views of everything and part numbers.
Lots of parts will have no price because they don't hold stock.

Find the part numbers you need and talk to your local honda parts dealer and let them know what you are building. They can access a database as well and sometimes you can find stock parts from a far away dealer (old on the shelf) and pay over phone and have it shipped to you.
Sounds great, thanks for the tip. I have awhile before I start ordering stuff that's not easily accessible, but I'll be sure to take a look when the time comes. Right now I'm still in inspection and research mode....
4/19/2019 12:25pm
I was going to offer you a fuel tank, but yours looks at least as good as the one I have. I ordered one off ebay for my 87. The ebay listing said it was for an 87. It arrived and it's an 89 tank.
4/19/2019 2:15pm
I was going to offer you a fuel tank, but yours looks at least as good as the one I have. I ordered one off ebay...
I was going to offer you a fuel tank, but yours looks at least as good as the one I have. I ordered one off ebay for my 87. The ebay listing said it was for an 87. It arrived and it's an 89 tank.
Great to know you have one. I might buy it off you if I end up needing it for some reason. I see you are working on an '87.....very cool. My friend is working on a '87 as we speak.
4/20/2019 2:34pm
Just let me know, BDB. I recently mailed an 87 tank to a friend. Like me, he's on the East coast. The charge was $55.
billyslad
4/20/2019 11:05pm
I put a set of carbon talons in the 89 on the left with a bit of work and new spacers they will go on
As I said check the weight
RABnasty
4/21/2019 10:03am
I wouldn't go through all the hassle of the Talon hubs. Just send your stuff over to Faster USA and have them rebuild your stock hubs and lace em up to whatever wheel you like. Keeping cost down and a much better factory looking wheel set. Just my 2 cents.
Lightning78
4/21/2019 6:37pm
Hey Black Diesel Bomber....of you're looking for a good documented build of an 1989 CR125 then check out pulpmx, Matthes did one and it turned out badass! The entire b ju uld is/was pretty well documented and you'll have an idea on some of the difficulties you might run into.
4/21/2019 6:56pm
Just let me know, BDB. I recently mailed an 87 tank to a friend. Like me, he's on the East coast. The charge was $55.
Okay, I'll let you know if I need it. Gotta get some other things done first.
4/21/2019 6:57pm
RABnasty wrote:
I wouldn't go through all the hassle of the Talon hubs. Just send your stuff over to Faster USA and have them rebuild your stock hubs...
I wouldn't go through all the hassle of the Talon hubs. Just send your stuff over to Faster USA and have them rebuild your stock hubs and lace em up to whatever wheel you like. Keeping cost down and a much better factory looking wheel set. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, I decided to stay with stock hubs...gonna blast them and powder coat.
4/21/2019 6:58pm
Hey Black Diesel Bomber....of you're looking for a good documented build of an 1989 CR125 then check out pulpmx, Matthes did one and it turned out...
Hey Black Diesel Bomber....of you're looking for a good documented build of an 1989 CR125 then check out pulpmx, Matthes did one and it turned out badass! The entire b ju uld is/was pretty well documented and you'll have an idea on some of the difficulties you might run into.
I'll check it out...no build is easy, so expect the worst and hope for the best.
4/23/2019 6:20am
RABnasty wrote:
I wouldn't go through all the hassle of the Talon hubs. Just send your stuff over to Faster USA and have them rebuild your stock hubs...
Did you see the ones Dubya did for me on my build thread? The total was $855, and that included all new seals and bearings, and shipping. They did an incredible job. For some reason they recommended cerakote on the hubs instead of powder coat, so I went with the cerakote.
4/23/2019 8:31am
RABnasty wrote:
Did you see the ones Dubya did for me on my build thread? The total was $855, and that included all new seals and bearings, and...
Did you see the ones Dubya did for me on my build thread? The total was $855, and that included all new seals and bearings, and shipping. They did an incredible job. For some reason they recommended cerakote on the hubs instead of powder coat, so I went with the cerakote.
I'll be doing the same. Dubya is right down the street from me. Cerakote makes sense I guess.
Chance1216
7/3/2019 9:59pm
I really enjoy following Honda builds. Phil Denton engineering makes some nice hardware and other misc parts for your year of bike depending on what your looking for.
sandman768
7/4/2019 5:36am
Looking good...gold rims always look good on the Honda’s...
NoMuff2Tuff
7/8/2019 3:33pm
Gonna be a sweet looking bike, the 89 screamed on top . I always loved the older CR 125's, they always have the motor department covered starting in 1986 to about 1996. If you look at the later years Yam, Suzuki and Kawi cylinders they pretty much copied Honda's cylinder port lay out minus the power valve design.

Post a reply to: 1989 CR125 Project...

The Latest