1989 ATK 406 Restoration

Micahdogg
4/24/2020 6:35am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 8:08am
Had to install the forks in order to address the brake line, which was twisted up pretty bad. The shielding was also damaged just below the guide that mounts to the steering stem. That stuff is brittle like glass so I used a pipe cutter to cut about 1 inch of damage out, then butted the two ends together and wrapped it with clear packing tape. Its surprisingly rigid and I expect it to hold up well. I also cleaned the inside of all that tubing and blew the dirt out with the air compressor. A quick polish of the plastic and presto...you can see that nice stainless brake line again! And its running fairly straight.

I also took the opportunity to mount the front fender once I knew the gas tank and pipe wouldn't interfere. I also spent some time splicing in a oem style Honda kill switch with some nice connectors.

Micahdogg
4/24/2020 11:37am
Im also blown away at the quality of these "straight from China" riser adapters. Ive been using Rox Risers on several bikes now, but those are $85 and rarely go under $80. I was going to try a Zeta brand for $45, but these were $26 shipped. They are about 1 inch forward and 1 inch up.

Micahdogg
4/26/2020 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2020 6:01pm
Thanks Chuckie.

This bike was fairly complete, however it was missing a mudflap. I don't even have great pictures of one, but sort of figured out what it should look like and I know it should be white.

I mocked up a template with an old cereal box and drug out the original front fender that came with the bike. I hated to cut this up because it wasnt "that" bad, but a vent on back was broken and I was pretty sure that I would never use it for anything. It had a close enough shape to work with so I proceeded (hey it was free right?).

The airbox was also missing the lid. Unfortunately I dont even know what it should look like, so I took a stab at it. I used the cereal box again and repurposed the busted up original number plate.

Then I got into the rear fender, and the silencer, and the side plates, and before I knew it I was zippy tying the front caliper in place just to roll the bike out of the garage for the first time in 6 months.

The Shop

bonseff
4/26/2020 6:08pm
Hat's off to you, sir. Holy shit your bike is ace!
Micahdogg
4/26/2020 7:39pm
Thanks man...but its got a long way to go still. I cant wait to see the graphics on it...whenever they get done.
k0
4/27/2020 8:53pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Thanks Chuckie. This bike was fairly complete, however it was missing a mudflap. I don't even have great pictures of one, but sort of figured out...
Thanks Chuckie.

This bike was fairly complete, however it was missing a mudflap. I don't even have great pictures of one, but sort of figured out what it should look like and I know it should be white.

I mocked up a template with an old cereal box and drug out the original front fender that came with the bike. I hated to cut this up because it wasnt "that" bad, but a vent on back was broken and I was pretty sure that I would never use it for anything. It had a close enough shape to work with so I proceeded (hey it was free right?).

The airbox was also missing the lid. Unfortunately I dont even know what it should look like, so I took a stab at it. I used the cereal box again and repurposed the busted up original number plate.

Then I got into the rear fender, and the silencer, and the side plates, and before I knew it I was zippy tying the front caliper in place just to roll the bike out of the garage for the first time in 6 months.

If I remember correctly, stock air box cover for the '89 is a plain, very translucent, thick, nonflexible piece that should set on top of and attach to threaded insert in that lower stalk. It breaths around the periphery and the cover is thick so it doesn't deform under intake pressure. And it almost looked to be homemade.
The project so far looks fantastic.
Micahdogg
4/27/2020 9:31pm
Thanks...that helps me visualize it. This airbox has plenty of room to breath around the inlet and outlet so I cant imagine it would generate that much vacuum, but I had never really thought about that.
k0
5/1/2020 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2020 2:32pm
This photo again shows part of the cover.
Micahdogg
5/2/2020 9:09pm
Thanks Matt...there were a couple good shots in there.

My clutch cable I decided to leave alone. It has one lone broken strand up by the perch. Certainly I can use it for now and just keep an eye on it. The throttle cable was fubar though and already hung WOT on me. I noticed my 1993 RM125 cable looked similar and sure enough Motion Pro 04-0114 for 89-93 RM125 was perfect replacement. Scored one on Ebay for $10 shipped.
Micahdogg
5/10/2020 7:58pm
Thanks to Husabutt on YouTube for pointing out that one of my rear frame rails appeared to be bent. After some measuring I comfirmed that he was right. The silencer side was 1/2 inch higher, which is why my fender was twisted after I mounted it. I should have looked closer before powdercoat since the silencer was pointing at the sky (duh).

Regardless, I wasnt having it so I devised a method to straighten it without trashing the finish. Thankfully powdercoat is flexible so you cant even tell that I touched it.

I also tore into the carb. It had some pretty nasty green crap in it. The needle was in the 2nd clip (from top) and the pilot was a 15. That seems a bit on the crisp side but oh well. I had a 2001 CR250R that loved a 25 pilot on a Mikuni and surely made more HP than this thing. Plus nobody blew their junk up off idle or  midrange. The main was a 350, I'm guessing standard. It cleaned up well and I was able to reuse everything.

Micahdogg
5/16/2020 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2020 5:21pm
I messed with the shifter. Here is how it was before I touched it. A prior owner tack welded the pivot into a fixed position and did the grinding on the weld. I was able to remove the weld and clean it up to make a functional pivot again.

And here is my craftsman offset wrench. I just could not "un-see" how well it fit. The idea of not having to form metal in a suitable profile was very appealing so I zipped the head off of the wrench and also zipped the shifter from the splines. A little cleanup and I'll have some good area to weld on and its going to fit really well.

Also the graphics are moving at a snails pace, but they are coming along. I hope to have something in a few more weeks.

Micahdogg
5/17/2020 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2020 6:36pm
Shifter done. Welds look ok, but both the old shifter and the wrench were chrome plated and as usual I couldn't be bothered to really clean the metal up.

The fit is really good. And while it looks long, remember that the old shifter was pretty stubby. I took a shot of my KTM peg-to-shifter distance for comparison.

Carb got cleaned finally. New OEM style vent lines installed.

Got some universal number plate sheets and trimmed out the side plates.

Also getting the front number plate squared away and found an oldschool cloth Renthal bar pad in the garage. The white and blue will be right at home on the ATK.

Micahdogg
8/23/2020 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2020 3:20pm
Got caught in a lull. Finally found time to pull the forks and tear em down. I had no clue how these came apart but there are no compression or rebound adjustments in these simple WP 4054 old school 40mm inverted forks so they werent too hard to navigate around. Hoping parts show up soon because Im eager to get this bike fired up!

My fancy "fork holder tool" ended has been put into service as a step for my kids rope swing.

The vid shows some details of break down.

Micahdogg
9/22/2020 6:34pm
Almost a month later, still no fork parts. Just got notice that they should be shipped this week. The inner and outer bushings are discontinued. The "inner" bushing for lack of a better word is very specialized. It is the part that you see in the cover picture of the youtube video - the part with all the tabs folded over. It would be a nightmare to replicate. Fortunately, both bushings have enough Teflon to reuse. The dust boots have long been discontinued, but I found one of the last known pair. So basically these forks will just get dust boots and oil seals.

To make matters worse, there is no info on rebuild procedures for these forks. Turns out there are a few tricks. Luckily I found a pretty in-depth, 6-page article circa 1986 from Motocross Magazine.....only problem is the article was entirely in French. I spent 2 weeks manually typing every word from French into Google translate to get the English translation. It was extremely helpful because adding fluid is not as simple as it would appear.

In the meantime, I stumbled across the ultra-elusive "MX" gas tank. There are not many of these out there and they go like hotcakes whenever one pops up on the market. I don't intent to immediately use it, but I will try to source a matching seat for the future. It gives the bike a radially different look.

Bearuno
9/22/2020 10:15pm
Just a note, Shorty:

I'd be very surprised if you can't fit a late model ,entire 48mm front end on the bike. If you intend to ride the bike much, it gives you a Lot of options for a far better front end than what it had / has. KTMs use 29 x 50.25 (?) x 15mm bearings top and bottom, perhaps the ATK might be the same?

I was looking to get just the KTM 18/20mm offset triple clamps to fit to my CR500, to get rid of the 24mm std offset (the WPs I got and the CRs Kayabas both having 35mm offset of the axle from the centerline of the fork tubes) but got an entire CC front end, with the Brembo caliper and Master Cylinder for $500, a couple of years back.

I know how to make the CCs work to my liking, and make them actual Closed Chamber forks ( which they are far from, as std, hence the variable performance many complained about), so found a way to fit them to the 500. Anything's possible with a bit of engineering! Woohoo The front end is so much better than the original one. As is the Ohlins TTX PDS back end I have on it.

That RM 500 you've got looks to be a Lot of work for you to do, by the way. Good luck with it.
Micahdogg
9/23/2020 4:17pm
I really did consider swapping the front end. Or at least upgrading to a newer generation of the 4054's, which offer better parts and performance. Hell, these first gen's don't even have compression or rebound adjustments. But, I thought the bike would be worth more with the original stuff in functioning order. I honestly don't even get to ride my go-to bike nearly as often as I want, so this will not see a lot of action unfortunately.
xotom125
9/24/2020 4:13pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Very little progress
Very little progress

Hi,
Can you give me some advice on the forks and shock.
Did you take off the bottom fork lugs?
If so how do they come off.

Also how do you remove the anodised resovoir
On the rear shock
Thanks in advance

I need to strip these parts off my bike to be anodised
Micahdogg
9/24/2020 5:40pm
I did not take off the fork lugs. I would think that they unthread...with the use of heat. As for the shock reservoir, it unthreads. If you go to my youtube channel I did a video showing the tool i made from an angle grinder spanner wrench.

Micah
Micahdogg
10/3/2020 10:24pm
Finally got the WP oil seals and dust boots.

Here are some of the fork components. The part with a zippy tie around it is an old broken bottom-out bumper. These were busted up on both forks. I replaced them with those red polyurethane tie rod end boots. You can get them at Autozone in their isle for $7.

Forks back together with approximately 650cc of 5w Maxima fluid. The springs feel a bit soft, but I won't know until giving it a ride.

Here are a couple vids of the install, showing some of the ins and outs of adding fluid. I hope I got it right...but hey, there isnt much guidance on this old stuff.

Micahdogg
10/4/2020 5:39pm
Got the forks installed, gaurds installed, new front brake pads, air filter back on and suddenly I thought it was ready to fire up.

Last thing to do was to change the oil. Found out I cant get my front skid plate bolts out with the pipe installed. So I pulled the pipe. Got to the allen head drain bolt and it was all buggered up. I tried hammering a 7mm allen into the worn 6mm head. That didnt work. I drilled the hole clean, hammered an 8mm allen in there and that worked. Got the old oil out...installed the drain plug and just as I snugged it down the head popped off. So....no fire yet.

Micahdogg
10/10/2020 5:05pm
I took advantage of the nice weather to roll the bike outside and tackle the graphics. I had to cut the larger graphic in half and really didnt want to screw it up.

Here is a walk around that shows it off a little better. Getting pretty close to wrapping this up. I also have to toot my horn a bit...this is exactly how I wanted the bike to look! I'm really happy with it.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
10/11/2020 11:55am
That looks great. If it rides half as good as it looks you'll have a blast on it! Well done.
philG
10/11/2020 1:25pm
Micahdogg wrote:
Shifter done. Welds look ok, but both the old shifter and the wrench were chrome plated and as usual I couldn't be bothered to really clean...
Shifter done. Welds look ok, but both the old shifter and the wrench were chrome plated and as usual I couldn't be bothered to really clean the metal up.

The fit is really good. And while it looks long, remember that the old shifter was pretty stubby. I took a shot of my KTM peg-to-shifter distance for comparison.

Carb got cleaned finally. New OEM style vent lines installed.

Got some universal number plate sheets and trimmed out the side plates.

Also getting the front number plate squared away and found an oldschool cloth Renthal bar pad in the garage. The white and blue will be right at home on the ATK.

While its Ok to say the shifter tip is in the same place relative the footrest, it is nowhere near the same throw as the original.. the KTM shifter pivot is in front of the peg whereas the ATK one is behind it.. that is going to take a lot of movement to ensure you dont miss shifts. on bikes with stubby shifters, i tend to set them a little higher so i can get my foot under it, you have to lift your foot to downshift.

10/10 for the ingenuity, i just think its way too long to be practical.
Micahdogg
3/10/2021 10:17am
I haven't put the finishing touches on this bike yet, but I did get it out a couple months ago and give it a little romp around the yard.

k0
3/13/2021 11:45am
Micahdogg wrote:
I haven't put the finishing touches on this bike yet, but I did get it out a couple months ago and give it a little romp...
I haven't put the finishing touches on this bike yet, but I did get it out a couple months ago and give it a little romp around the yard.

As it should sound and that's great! Good idea to get accustomed to riding without a rear brake. The countershaft disc overheats easily. Not a bike for a brake dragger. Ceramic inserts and high temperature brake fluid were the "hot" seatup.
LWC307
11/13/2021 2:19pm
Probably too late now but i have got several manuals for your shock and fork, all the factory WP spec sheets, parts list etc.Any chance you can tell me where you got that french 4054 doc from or can give me a copy of it.I can give you a few things in return. Thanks

Post a reply to: 1989 ATK 406 Restoration

The Latest