1986 KX500 Resto

Garage11
Edited Date/Time 9/19/2020 1:02am
Hey all

Have been pretty busy with builds recently, which I said when I started them I was going to post on here the progress, sort of kept forgetting and getting distracted so the 96 CR 125, 250 and the 91 YZ250 might have just missed the boat... oh well.

I will however start to post progress shots of the mighty KX500 that is just getting underway!!! this thing is... was a basket case of sorts, looks to me like it came out of California to Australia a while ago and has never really been looked after. (Never herd of a miss treated motocross bike before).

|
Bearuno
8/30/2020 2:55am
Just looking at the UniTrak Push Rods thread and nuts makes me cringe........ those things could be a Bastards to deal with after just a few races. Let alone 33 / 34 years.

Good luck with the old beast, sir! Woohoo
Garage11
8/30/2020 3:16am
Bearuno wrote:
Just looking at the UniTrak Push Rods thread and nuts makes me cringe........ those things could be a Bastards to deal with after just a few...
Just looking at the UniTrak Push Rods thread and nuts makes me cringe........ those things could be a Bastards to deal with after just a few races. Let alone 33 / 34 years.

Good luck with the old beast, sir! Woohoo
Yeah I know its one of many scary things as well as the lateral play in the crank, and the heaps of discontinued parts that are missing lol, all for the fun of it !
Garage11
9/2/2020 4:34am
Ok so now its a matter of getting everything apart and away to the respective trades, as in engine guy and powder coaters. This means getting the bottom end apart and crank out.

The crank had heaps of side ways movement on the bearings so we had to source a another crank then get that pressed apart then back together with new bearings and rod. Barrel went away to get machined, and all the gear box bearings and main bearings where pressed out along with all the old seals.
Then the cases where blasted and Cerakoted in house. Just waiting now on the frame to get back and the crank and barrel and we can start putting it back together.

The clutch cover had had a hole punched into it from the brake lever ( total shock horror ) so that is also getting repaired as we speak.

The Shop

Garage11
9/2/2020 2:53pm
this looks fun, I'm in.

Were the cases painted or powder coated?
Thanks!! should be fun, hope its dose not give us too much grief!

Cases where actually Cerakoted with Cerakote Elite series, its meant to be harder wearing. Its not as thick as powder coat either.
mx4l
9/15/2020 1:46pm
this looks fun, I'm in.

Garage11 wrote:
Thanks!! should be fun, hope its dose not give us too much grief! Cases where actually Cerakoted with Cerakote Elite series, its meant to be harder...

Cases where actually Cerakoted with Cerakote Elite series, its meant to be harder wearing. Its not as thick as powder coat either.
That is what I am having put on my cases for the 87CR80 build. Cerakote Elite Series. Looks like it turned out nice.. What are your thoughts?
Garage11
9/19/2020 12:34am
this looks fun, I'm in.

Garage11 wrote:
Thanks!! should be fun, hope its dose not give us too much grief! Cases where actually Cerakoted with Cerakote Elite series, its meant to be harder...

mx4l wrote:
That is what I am having put on my cases for the 87CR80 build. Cerakote Elite Series. Looks like it turned out nice.. What are your...
That is what I am having put on my cases for the 87CR80 build. Cerakote Elite Series. Looks like it turned out nice.. What are your thoughts?
Hey

Yeah I love it turned out really well, exactly the same to use as well. I bought it because it is a little harder wearing than the standard Cerakote and it has a nicer gloss finish about it too.
Garage11
9/19/2020 12:47am
Still waiting for the frame to get back from the powder coaters and the engine bits from the engine guy!! its taking a lot longer because the world seems to be ending.

Anyway i started prepping some of the other parts in anticipation of the frames return. Managed to clean up the triple clamps and re zinc coat all the bolts for them as well. turned out not to bad in the end.

Garage11
9/19/2020 1:02am
Started restoring the swing arm too, this has been a fair bit of work between tig welding up all the scratches and dents to re surfacing everything, would have to be one of the longest processes next to the tank. Not yet finished still have finalise surface finish then get it to the anodizing company.

Garage11
9/19/2020 1:05am
Then finally for now the Uni Link was pulled apart and re zinced and coated with some new bearings, was not to hard to get apart.

9/20/2020 11:48pm
this looks fun, I'm in.

Garage11 wrote:

Would you go Cerakote Elite Series for a frame or stick to powder coating?

Post a reply to: 1986 KX500 Resto

The Latest