1986 CR125 alive again! she is done!

6/16/2019 7:01pm
Work continues....
Radiator, All Balls linkage kit. Going to try zinc plating tomorrow.

6/19/2019 7:59pm
I got the spring back from the powder coater and cleaned up the shock.

The Shop

6/25/2019 7:57am
That’s great to hear. You have an awesome looking bike and I look forward to seeing more of it.
6/25/2019 9:53pm
You know it’s bad when you take the dirty and a little rusty clamps and polish them. Then I put them in on and feel the need for them to be all placed a certain way and symmetrical.

NoMuff2Tuff
7/8/2019 4:13pm
Your doing a great job on one of the best 125's ever. Keep up the good work, this is good build to follow. I've been trying to hunt down a 87 to restore and these older bikes are getting harder and harder to find!!
7/8/2019 6:31pm
Your doing a great job on one of the best 125's ever. Keep up the good work, this is good build to follow. I've been trying...
Your doing a great job on one of the best 125's ever. Keep up the good work, this is good build to follow. I've been trying to hunt down a 87 to restore and these older bikes are getting harder and harder to find!!
Thanks for your kind words. I am out of town but plan to order tires this week and continue working on it this weekend.
7/11/2019 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 12:14pm
Dunlop MX33 tires, new UFO radiator shrouds, and Hotfoot Moto chain slider are on the way! I already got the gold DID chain and new sprockets. I should be getting real close to riding this puppy.
Mark_Lynch
7/11/2019 5:37pm
Dunlop MX33 tires, new UFO radiator shrouds, and Hotfoot Moto chain slider are on the way! I already got the gold DID chain and new sprockets...
Dunlop MX33 tires, new UFO radiator shrouds, and Hotfoot Moto chain slider are on the way! I already got the gold DID chain and new sprockets. I should be getting real close to riding this puppy.
I’m impressed Brian ! Your bike is looking awesome. You can tell your meticulous about things and that usually makes for a nice outcome. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing it finished
7/11/2019 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 5:42pm
Dunlop MX33 tires, new UFO radiator shrouds, and Hotfoot Moto chain slider are on the way! I already got the gold DID chain and new sprockets...
Mark_Lynch wrote:
I’m impressed Brian ! Your bike is looking awesome. You can tell your meticulous about things and that usually makes for a nice outcome. Keep it...
I’m impressed Brian ! Your bike is looking awesome. You can tell your meticulous about things and that usually makes for a nice outcome. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing it finished
Thanks for your kind words Mark. You bike turned out great so this means a lot coming from you. I really appreciate it. It is my first rebuild.
7/22/2019 2:08pm
Brian, thanks for stopping by and giving me a nice compliment. I'm going to return the favor. Believe me when I say your build is better than mine. Mine's sort of a budget build.
7/23/2019 4:46pm
Installed new rear sprocket, brake shoes, and tire.
7/23/2019 6:12pm
Brian, are those 86 forks? If so, have them worked by someone. They were not good. I found out just how bad they were when I sold my 86 and bought a new 87 in 87. Night and day difference. But nothing like the grunt of that 86 motor! Spectacular!
7/24/2019 5:25am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 5:27am
I have not done it yet but I am planning on upgrading the springs and changing the fork oil. I am 6’2” so the spring rate is way too low. I think it came with 33 pound springs. I would need around 45 pound springs ideally. My friend has some CR500 springs that are 39 pounds. He said I could have those.
7/24/2019 6:49am
Understood, but they need a lot more than springs. Would you like to purchase the other set of 87 cartridge forks I have? All i can tell you is the seals weren't leaking when I stored them, and they were fine, but they've been in the shed now for around a year. $150 plus shipping. We're both in Georgia so shipping shouldn't be too pricey. Up to you, but I'm telling you they are way better forks.
7/24/2019 1:48pm
Brian you could probably drive here and pick them up for less than I can ship them. You should come get them. If you make the drive you can look them over and decide if you want them. I can send pics if you want too.

By the time the UPS store in Kingsland boxes them up and rings up the charge, it'll be something like 60 bucks. You can drive here in a couple of hours for $25 in fuel and give them a good look over before purchasing. They're worth your time, my friend. WAY better than 86 forks, and remember, I had both bikes back in 86 and 87. Night and day difference. Your call. I just thought I'd offer them to you, because I'm going to offer them up in the Bazaar here at Vital real soon.

And Roadrider makes an excellent point and he's spot on. The 86 125 is the only one of the full-size bikes that didn't get the cartridge forks. Free is better if you can make it happen!
7/24/2019 7:28pm
Brian you could probably drive here and pick them up for less than I can ship them. You should come get them. If you make the...
Brian you could probably drive here and pick them up for less than I can ship them. You should come get them. If you make the drive you can look them over and decide if you want them. I can send pics if you want too.

By the time the UPS store in Kingsland boxes them up and rings up the charge, it'll be something like 60 bucks. You can drive here in a couple of hours for $25 in fuel and give them a good look over before purchasing. They're worth your time, my friend. WAY better than 86 forks, and remember, I had both bikes back in 86 and 87. Night and day difference. Your call. I just thought I'd offer them to you, because I'm going to offer them up in the Bazaar here at Vital real soon.

And Roadrider makes an excellent point and he's spot on. The 86 125 is the only one of the full-size bikes that didn't get the cartridge forks. Free is better if you can make it happen!
Thanks for the offer. I will get back with you on it after I have had some time to check these out.
500crazy
7/28/2019 8:10pm
Hey Brian, just watched your vid👍, sounds nice and looks great👌. Awesome job.
7/28/2019 9:03pm
500crazy wrote:
Hey Brian, just watched your vid👍, sounds nice and looks great👌. Awesome job.
Thanks very much!
JMX82
7/28/2019 11:42pm
Nice work!

Post a reply to: 1986 CR125 alive again! she is done!

The Latest