1985 XR600 build

Related:
Create New Tag

10/19/2020 6:24 PM

This all started because I found a motor for $100 on craigslist. I took the head cover off and discovered why the motor was so cheap.

Photo

I guess in 1985 they were actually a little bit faster than the other models because they had the dual carb setup. I was able to pick one of those up for a pretty penny on eBay. $250 for two 35-year-old carbs

I have been just slowly buying parts to put it together. Im going to end up splitting the cases. It's my first four stroke rebuild. I will probably rebuild the crank and put all new bearings in the bottom end. The cylinder doesn't look too bad but I will get it honed.

Photo

I have a set of 2002 yz125 forks that I will put heavier springs in and I hope to have it end up somewhat like a scrambler. I found the right bearing and the steering stem should work.

I hope to end up with something like this. Stay tuned.
Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

10/19/2020 9:46 PM

Well shoot. This sucks, I dropped a valve. I'm contemplating getting a newer head and returning the $250 carbs... Or I could pay around $350 for a head rebuild. Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

10/20/2020 12:09 AM

Is only the valve bent?
You can rebuild a head yourself for a lot cheaper.

|

10/20/2020 5:03 AM

timobijnen84 wrote:

Is only the valve bent?
You can rebuild a head yourself for a lot cheaper.

That makes more sense. Awesome.

|

Amateur helmet painter

10/23/2020 10:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2020 10:04 AM

Sweet man. It looks like a fun rebuild. I’ve only done 2-strokes, but would love to do a 4-stroke.

|

10/23/2020 4:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2020 4:51 PM

burn1986 wrote:

Sweet man. It looks like a fun rebuild. I’ve only done 2-strokes, but would love to do a 4-stroke.

Yeah I've always been kind of scared to do a four stroke, so this is a good first four stroke for me. The middle cam journal was pretty shot so I found a "new" head on ebay that looks to be in much better shape. I also bought steering stem bearings that should allow me to put the yz forks on. It is 1 mm too wide at the base, but otherwise the measurements are spot on. The steering stem is the right length already.

This should help with the steering stem bearing install. I just picked it up and am already having a lot of fun with it. Photo

The new head

Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

10/23/2020 7:10 PM

My other clue as to what lead to the death of this motor is that it looks like this thing was ridden with this cover off. I'm not sure what the cover is called, but it is on the clutch side right in front of the oil pump. Anybody know what it's called so I can find it on ebay? Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

10/24/2020 4:59 AM

That’s where an oil lines gets bolted on to. I rebuilt my 650l and that looks very familiar

|

10/24/2020 6:10 AM

doitinthewoods wrote:

That’s where an oil lines gets bolted on to. I rebuilt my 650l and that looks very familiar

Aha, that makes sense. I noticed all the grime around it so I thought whatever it was, that maybe it became disconnected while somebody was riding it. Thanks.

|

Amateur helmet painter

11/25/2020 4:22 PM

Any updates?

|

11/26/2020 6:27 PM

Jake_R72435 wrote:

Any updates?

Not a lot unfortunately. I have bought a lot of odds and ends, including a new head, because my cam journals were shot and I had that bent valve. The original head was bone dry and had a lot of metal shavings on it, so that made me nervous.

Photo

I had to order large wrenches to get the cylinder bolts loose. I'm in a rural mountain area so most of my parts and tools get ordered online. I want to be able to check the rings and crank out and hopefully avoid splitting the cases. I'll be getting a cam soon since tomorrow is pay day. In theory I should be able to start it up if everything checks out. I have all the wiring, header, and carburetors.

|

Amateur helmet painter

11/26/2020 7:34 PM

I also forgot to mention I got the bearing pressed into the steering stem for the yz forks.

|

Amateur helmet painter

4/11/2021 6:39 PM

Well a lot has happened, some small progress was made too. We moved across the country and are finally set up to get some work done. I got the frame powder coated and should have the swing arm back soon from getting blasted and coated. I finally got the cylinder off with some help from my dad and the crank feels good so I won't be splitting the cases, only down side is that I won't be able to get the cases blasted. I'll just be polishing then with some elbow grease. The piston and cylinder looked really good. Our theory is that maybe the cam chain jumped and caused the snafu in the head. Lots of parts are being blasted now by a good friend who started his own company. Calls it restoblast out of Missouri. I'm going to dig into the forks next and get them anodized, I'm hoping for the factory look like these.
Photo

I'm also getting a lower triple clamp blasted and polished by Mullenix quality coatings in temecula CA, he was my go-to guy when I was on that did of the country. I got an applied upper that was already polished.

Photo

Photo
Photo

I picked up a random really cool looking exhaust too for pretty cheap on ebay. It's really fat and will probably be really loud. I really like the welds. Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

4/12/2021 2:01 PM

Looking forward to the finished build!

|

5/15/2021 10:55 PM

Hmmm, not sure how I'm going to make this work, but we will cross that bridge tomorrow. Photo
Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/7/2021 1:55 AM

I decided I need to get a welder, notcher and metal bender. Im going to try to get a subframe fabbed, this is my first time trying anything like this.

I got my parts back from the blaster. I was also able to line up some more lucrative work so hopefully things will start happening faster....but I do still have a one year old and another one due in November, so I'm definitely not making any promises. Photo

|

Amateur helmet painter