1983 RC480, Uber Trickness!

Edited Date/Time 1/31/2021 4:03am
Hi guys , we started the build up of a 1983 'RC480' this week. It's been a bit crazy here the last few months so I haven't really had the chance to share some of the builds we have been working on.... But this one is gonna be TRICK, so I had to share it!

I don't really have any "before" pictures as it started out as just collection of parts.
Originally, the customer wanted a 1980 Twinshock CR480 so a 1983 CR480 motor was sourced and rebuilt. A 1980 CR250 frame was modified and the build up was ready to start.....

Then it turned out that a 1980 Twinshock CR480 wouldn't be eligible to race in any class in France, where the customer lives.
So we had to have a re-think...

We had a fully rebuilt '83 CR480 motor sat on the bench. We had a pair of fully rebuilt 1983 CR480 wheels and a pair of 1987 CR250 43mm forks already converted for the 83 drum brake.....
We also happened to have a really nice 1983 CR480 frame sat in storage.... So we came up with a new plan!! A 1982/83 RC480 replica!!

The frame was repaired, there were a few small dings in the bottom tubes. We added bash plate mounts and also modified the swingarm spindle area for a captive head spindle.
The customer wanted an "full on" build so an RC "coke bottle" swingarm, alloy tank and one piece alloy sub-frame and airbox was ordered from Bormi parts in Italy.

The swingarm and tank arrived back in the shop on Wednesday and we have started bolting it all together!

Here's some teaser pics from when we laid it all out before we began assembly. I'll post more pics up as we get further through the build up. It will be pretty quick this one,as we have pretty much everything we need in stock and ready to go!

Cheers

Stevie

|
TymeMoto
2/1/2019 8:50pm
Dude soooo trick !

Can’t wait to see the updates. That swing arm is so sick, and the tank is badass too.
2/2/2019 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2019 2:28pm
Got the clamps and some more parts fitted up this afternoon.

The clamps we make ourselves from 6082-T6 alloy. They move the bars further forward and raise them a little. This gives a massive improvement in ergonomics. It gives these older bike a completely "modern" feel.

Titanium stem top nut and bearing adjuster nut. (Made in house) and one of our HRC spec front #plate bolts.

Fitted the new linkage up as well. This is the first, prototype, CR480 linkage assembly we have made. Billet 7075-T6 for the link and 6082-T6 for the knuckle. The link is longer than stock. The same length as a "Simons" link. This gives a much more modern and progressive linkage ratio. It also has proper bearings!! The stock 480 linkage used bushes! We are using a modified 1988 CR250 bearing set, plus a pair of seals whipped out of an 89 kit, plus CRF450 lower shock bearing. (We have the seals from the 89 kits on order so we don't have to canibalise kits in the future!!)

As the link is longer than the original it requires the front mounting point to moved forward. Plus some special, offset, collar bushes to be machined and fitting into the frame. I'll get some detail pics of 'before and after' this mod, showing how it's been done.

All the bolts are Titanium, made in house. All with period correct HRC hexagon sizes and shape.

The customer requested the Ohlins shock.
The pics will come quickly next week, its moved a little further on since i took these! I'll get updates during the week.
Hopefully, she'll be on her wheels and rolling by Wednesday

Stevie

BR8ES
2/2/2019 2:48pm
Love this already... pity about the twin shocker though!

The Shop

TymeMoto
2/2/2019 5:13pm
This build just keeps getting better
Paul333
2/3/2019 6:57am
My God it’s going to be trick!
2/5/2019 11:50am
Got the motor in and the forks and wheels in.

This is my favourite part of the build so far. The swingarm spindle is Titanium. (Made in house. Heat treated and shot peened) We modified the frame so the head is captive. This was done on the factory bikes of the time but it didn't reach production bikes till '88!

Titanium bolts through out.

Titanium bearing adjuster nut and stem top nut.

Adjustable billet brake trq arm.

I'll get some more detail pics in the next few days once it's fully rolling.

Stevie

2/7/2019 11:49am
Some pics of the billet linkage set up, we made for it. Modified 88 bearing set, a pair of 89 seals and we fit CRF450 lower shock bearing to all our links.

BR8ES
2/7/2019 5:48pm
what a build, wow. Can't wait to see the finished product.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
2/7/2019 9:20pm
This must be a build where the client said I don’t care what it costs just do it.
Absolutely brilliant execution sparing nothing.

I would be greatly indebted to know if one wanted something similar what to expect roughly cost wise and already having a host bike.

Over $30,000.00?

Even more impressive if he intends to ride this regularly.

Great post for guys who dream of being able to craft at this level.
2/8/2019 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 11:50pm
TooOld4WFO wrote:
This must be a build where the client said I don’t care what it costs just do it. Absolutely brilliant execution sparing nothing. I would be...
This must be a build where the client said I don’t care what it costs just do it.
Absolutely brilliant execution sparing nothing.

I would be greatly indebted to know if one wanted something similar what to expect roughly cost wise and already having a host bike.

Over $30,000.00?

Even more impressive if he intends to ride this regularly.

Great post for guys who dream of being able to craft at this level.
Pretty much. The client basically said "I want this", and sent us pictures of Daryl Shultz's 1982 RC480.

He already has one our our 1980 CR250's and originally wanted a 480 version to "match". Sadly there is no class for them in France. As we had already done the motor, wheels and forks, (we had a 1980 frame modified as well, but we will be using that on another build instead) it was pretty easy to swap it all over to an 83 RC480 build.

When someone asks for a build like this it actually makes it way easier for me. I don't like it when I have to compromise, and I can just get on and build it exactly how I want to! ?

Although, on the this one the motor is virtually standard. We make gear sets and billet clutch baskets for the 480, but they haven't been fitted.

The squish has been recut to stop detention. We also remove the cylinder head studs and use bolts, there are steel inserts in the barrel so the threads don't get distroyed! We also add dowels so the head locates accurately.
When the 480 motor is fitted on to the 1980 chassis you can't take the top end off with the motor in the frame when the head studs are left in... It's a real pain in the ass! Swapping to bolts gets around that. This had already been done before the change to a STD 83 480 frame.

swatdoc
2/8/2019 6:04pm
Wow. Incredible but par for the course Stevie
2/11/2019 10:03am
Before and after of the mods to the linkage mounts. (Ok, the before pic is a different 480 frame...)
You can see how much further forward the the new link mounts

The offset collars we brazed into the frame for the new mount. We made them so they have the same outer width as the original mounting point, so the original bolt can be used.

outerlimits
2/13/2019 10:11am
This build is incredible. Sorry if I missed it, but where did that swing arm come from? It looks very much like a factory arm from back in the day with that weld going down the middle the length of it. Great job!
2/18/2019 11:34pm
This build is incredible. Sorry if I missed it, but where did that swing arm come from? It looks very much like a factory arm from...
This build is incredible. Sorry if I missed it, but where did that swing arm come from? It looks very much like a factory arm from back in the day with that weld going down the middle the length of it. Great job!
The arm and tank came from Bormi parts in Italy. It's beautiful workmanship.
2/18/2019 11:44pm
All the wiring is now done. New connectors and sleeving through out. Freshly refurbished CDI box and Ti bolts holding it all together.

shuggs
2/19/2019 8:15am
Looks very, very nice!!! Somebody is going to be happy when they get their hands on it.
2/22/2019 12:06pm
Boris sent me these teaser pics through this afternoon....

Oh my god!! I can't wait to get this fitted up!! We can finish the exhaust system up with the sub frame fitted then.... it's first start up time!! ?????

Superdave19
2/22/2019 7:39pm
If I had the chance to ride this, or Jenna Jameson, I’d choose this!!!
mitch199
2/25/2019 5:38pm
This thing is simply insane. Amazing workmanship!
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
3/4/2019 2:07pm
If I had the chance to ride this, or Jenna Jameson, I’d choose this!!!
+1 here! At least you know the bike is fresh and clean. Jenna Jameson not so much I'm thinkingLaughing
3/4/2019 3:43pm
The swingarm spindle is Titanium. (Made in house. Heat treated and shot peened)
Why shot peen and heat treat the titanium? I would of guessed it would of been strong enough?
Sweet build and props for the craftmanship
3/17/2019 2:34am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 2:36am
[b]The swingarm spindle is Titanium. (Made in house. Heat treated and shot peened) [/b] Why shot peen and heat treat the titanium? I would of guessed...
The swingarm spindle is Titanium. (Made in house. Heat treated and shot peened)
Why shot peen and heat treat the titanium? I would of guessed it would of been strong enough?
Sweet build and props for the craftmanship
They are heat treated so we know they are all The same hardness/strength. And the shot peening stress relieves them.
3/17/2019 2:42am
Been off it for a few days as we've had a new mill delivered a couple of weeks ago and it's been absolute chaos,l. We've had to completely rearrange the entire workshop. It's still a complete mess, but we're slowly getting organized!

I managed to get the sub-frame/airbox bolted up yesterday, and made a start on the pipe, once the pipes sorted were gonna fire her up! Then the tank and airbox assembly can go out for paint

3/17/2019 2:50am
Absolutely beautiful and super trick build Stevie!!! Jury still out in the slab sided fuel tank till I see it all together. Love the swingarm and subframe!

Post a reply to: 1983 RC480, Uber Trickness!

The Latest