1982 RM125Z my first restorarion

12/25/2020 8:11am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 7:52pm
Hey all. I had just picked up this 82 RM125 on trade for a chainsaw last week. This is my first restoration I need a few things and wondering if some of y'all are able to help me source some parts for this old machine.
When I was stripping it down, I had a hard time getting one bolt out of the suspension piece (sorry, unsure of what it is called) when I was pressing out the bolt i noticed the needles falling out of the bearings, and the other side is seized solid. So I need a new set of bearings. Is this something I'm able to source from a local bearing shop or is this something I need to have specifically made for this machine?
Also, would appreciate any tips on stripping paint from the frame and prepping for paint
All it needs is piston/rings and bore the cylinder. Head stem bearings are shot (which i sourced) and these bearings in question here.
Appreciate any and all help as I am a noob at forums and restorations, but no stranger to working on bikes.

|
sandman768
12/25/2020 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/25/2020 12:34pm
Press the bearings out, clean them up & visit a bearing house to see if they can match them up. Frame should be sandblasted & inspected for cracks and stripped out fittings before refinishing...post up photos!
12/25/2020 1:59pm
Yeah, I only have the foot pegs left to remove from the frame and a bit of cleaning to do . Waiting until after the holidays so I can rent a sandblast booth. Frame looks mint though, straight, no bends or cracks.
This piece is called the cushion lever and I believe I have found bearings for it as well from a Japanese retailer.

danman
3/11/2021 10:47am
I'll have to watch this one.
I picked up the same bike about 4 years ago. I stripped it all down to nothing and collected a few new parts, but then moved on to other stuff. I just finished collecting the parts to get the engine back together, so that will be first. After that, I'll get the frame stripped and painted, then who knows.
Here is what it looked like when I bought it:

3/11/2021 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2021 7:12pm
Man, parts are taking FOREVER to ship lol my cylinder got bored out. Found a divot from where the piston sat forever. 0.5mm over stock now Found a NOS piston and rings. Top end gasket kit showed up today, actually. But I'll get started on the motor pretty quick now that I have every thing for it. Bottom end is mint.
Still waiting on some head bearings and those cushion lever bearings are fairly elusive. I kind of put it on the back burner over winter as my garage isn't heated.
Got the suspension serviced and ready to go. I'll hold off until spring to do my painting. Got the pipe stripped and repainted before it got cold though.

The Shop

mxracer666
3/11/2021 7:50pm
Most all bearings and engine parts/bearings are still available from Suzuki. Check with your dealer first when trying to find something. Those(2) rocker arm spherical bearings are nearly impossible to find anywhere but Suzuki. And they are "expensive", so buy new seals while your at it! Great bikes, tho they probably make less power than a modern RM85!
mxracer666
3/11/2021 7:52pm
And make sure you have the rubber bumper-stop installed on the frame where the rocker arm contacts it!!

Post a reply to: 1982 RM125Z my first restorarion

The Latest