1976 Honda Z50j (monkey) Restoration FINISHED!!

Jacko986
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2021 6:41pm
The time has come for me to start another project after all but finishing my 2005 RC4 rm250 replica.
This next build is somewhat sentimental as I’ve had it for over 25 years and was my first ever dirt bike. A 1976 Honda Z50j. After I grew out of it when I was around 11-12 years old my sister then used it for a few years. It then became the rouse-about on the property where I grew up, getting used and abused until one day the cam chain gave way. It then got parked in the corner of my dads shed where it stayed until recently
This is how it looked when I dug it out of the shed, rather dismal.

The plan with this bike is a restoration to get it back to the way it once was in 1976. I’ll be trying to use as many genuine Honda genuine parts as I can. I was lucky to order quite a lot of parts for this bike over the past few years as some parts are getting expensive and hard to source. Below is what I hope to achieve out of this build. I’d like to get the bike roadworthy and registered so I can take it on the occasional cruise

|
Jacko986
7/23/2020 5:44am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2020 6:48am
The engine had the top end removed previously as it was all roached, so I got to pulling the bike down. This wasn’t too hard as these bikes are only small and simple.

After pulling the bike down and realizing how much was needed for this bike, it sat in a box for a while until I moved house and could put some more time into it.
Now I’m at the point where I’ve just pulled down the engine bottom end, the cases and crank are actually in decent condition for a 45 year old engine

Next up is to clean up the cases and remove the main bearings and cam chain drive sprocket from the crank
Jacko986
7/24/2020 3:31pm
I removed the old bearings off the crank and got the cases looking pretty decent for a 45yr old engine. Assembly of engine next on the to do list. Just need to ensure I don’t require any more parts before starting assembly

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/25/2020 2:16pm
Cases look good, but if you can find someone that can vapor blast them , they will look brand new. It’s very inexpensive to get it done. I did my RMZ450 cases, they came out much better than I was expecting. Every little crevice looks perfect. JMO
Jacko986
7/25/2020 5:24pm
langhammx wrote:
Cases look good, but if you can find someone that can vapor blast them , they will look brand new. It’s very inexpensive to get it...
Cases look good, but if you can find someone that can vapor blast them , they will look brand new. It’s very inexpensive to get it done. I did my RMZ450 cases, they came out much better than I was expecting. Every little crevice looks perfect. JMO
I was originally planning on getting them vapor blasted but I got them fairly close to where I wanted them. I did tweak them a little further than in this photo, still not as good as vapor blast admittedly. The casting quality is certainly not as good a newer bike Would be either and up close there are a few blemishes from years of being a runabout bike on the farm

The Shop

Jacko986
7/26/2020 3:25am
Nice! I restored a 73 z50 and just threw a big bore Chinese motor in it. Purists might not like it.
That’s cool mate, as long as it’s still running around and putting a smile on your face I don’t thing it matters.
This is my first ever dirt bike so I wanted to get it pretty close to standard as I could, unfortunately my barrel and head were roached so I had to get aftermarket components. The bottom end is getting complete Honda oem parts, bearing bolts, washers etc
Jacko986
7/26/2020 3:39am
Started to assemble the engine, new transmission bearing in the cases, removed the old cam drive gear and old main bearings from the crank and fitted all new gear and bearings. After they cooled I installed the crank and transmission into the case. There’s little wonder why these engine last so long, the bearings and cases are huge for a 50cc engine

Also dismantled the clutch. Cleaned it and Reassembled it with new springs, plates and fibers.

Jacko986
7/27/2020 11:45pm
Engine assembly is all but finished now, just waiting on the reproduction stator to arrive to complete the engine.

Jacko986
8/7/2020 7:51am
Few parts that I’ve had for a little while and a few I’ve picked up recently. Also had the frame repaired (side cover bracket has always been missing) and front forks have had new ears mounted for the blinkers

Jacko986
2/5/2021 6:28am
Few more parts have been found for the build. New carby fitted to the engine. Also decided to make a little stand to sit on my normal lift stand to make life easier once assembly starts.

Mocking up frame, seat, new shocks and tank

All the parts getting painted black prior to sending them away, these will be picked up in the next couple of days as the painter has told me they are complete

Some of the new electrical parts I have acquired. New key switch, full wiring harness, blinker unit, coil and lead. I’ve also got a new 6 volt battery and blinker switch not pictured. Few more parts coming next

Jacko986
2/7/2021 7:25am
Got the frame, swingarm, headlight bucket etc back from the painters. I also refurbed the airbox and fitted it to the engine. Happy with the result.

Jacko986
3/4/2021 1:35am
A fair bit more progress on the little monkey, majority of the electrical is done short of the front headlight, blinker and hand at switch. Rear suspension and mudguard are fitted along with tail light bracket. New OEM tail light, lens and blinkers. Rear wheel is just mocked up at this stage. Just in the process of rebuilding the front and rear wheel hubs and brakes.

Jacko986
6/1/2021 6:28am
Been a while since I’ve updated this build as the painter had a lot of work to get through prior to painting a little fork and tank parakeet yellow. I decided to get the painter to apply the decals on the yellow then clear over them. This will hopefully protect the decals and give a more uniform shine for years to come

I can now continue on with assembly and hopefully have the bike fired up within the next couple of days.
Jacko986
6/2/2021 5:38pm
Bike is all but complete now, just waiting on the rear luggage rack to arrive but it’s not expected for a couple of months. I’ve had the bike running, quick adjustment on the points and it’s running like a dream.

The colour and finish on the tank and fork are brilliant

willbilly
6/3/2021 5:14pm
Wow! Bike to be proud of! Brings back lots of good memories of my first bike. Thanks for sharing.
Jacko986
6/4/2021 5:25am
willbilly wrote:
Wow! Bike to be proud of! Brings back lots of good memories of my first bike. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks mate, they are a great little bike that was bullet proof in there day. Lots of memories from my end aswell
BToz
6/6/2021 6:41pm
Wow. Bravo- fantastic work!!

Post a reply to: 1976 Honda Z50j (monkey) Restoration FINISHED!!

The Latest