19.5 450 fe build

Related:
Create New Tag

7/31/2019 5:38 PM

I really love the redbull graphics but I wanted to try something more subtle.
I first switched over my cone valves and shock then put white plastic on.
first ride went very well I would say I was completely comfortable within 3laps! I've been on two strokes for a few years so I need to get used to not shifting. I had a little trouble with stalling coming into very hard turns.

|

8/1/2019 4:03 AM

next was the procircuit linkage. it is a very noticeable change
then a steering stabilizer oversized rotor and rj wing seat cover 👍

|

8/3/2019 6:34 AM

the steering stabilizer is amazing I honestly didn't think that I would make as big of a difference as it did! definitely my second favorite upgrade so far only behind the cone valves!

|

8/3/2019 6:38 AM

next is going to be a few personal preference mods. I'm going to switch to a regular throttle tube and renthal kevlar grips and possibly cut down my seat foam slightly. the 2019 seat pan is such a pita to staple though!!

|

8/4/2019 2:12 PM

lukemoto wrote:

What difference did you feel with the pro circuit link over the stock one ? Did you go up with your springs ? Many thx

|

8/4/2019 6:12 PM

Whats that wing seat suppose to do? Bike looks good

|

8/5/2019 2:22 AM

lukemoto wrote:

Baton Rouge wrote:

What difference did you feel with the pro circuit link over the stock one ? Did you go up with your springs ? Many thx

yes I did need to go up in spring rate. it really makes the bike feel a lot more planted and stable.

|

8/5/2019 2:26 AM

Markee wrote:

Whats that wing seat suppose to do? Bike looks good

the seat is so you can have a better hold of the bike using your knees. I really like it, I feel like it really helps me get my weight off of the bars and move the bike around easier. definitely looks a little goofy at first...

|

8/5/2019 2:06 PM

What do you think about throttle response? I played with both maps and still felt my 16.5 with a remap had better response... I just had this one remapped, it is better but still feels like it could be improved...I”m wondering if different muffler would help....I just had FC revalve my shock, I needed a stiffer spring...not as easy to find the sweet spot with this chassis as the 16.5 IMO...I just got it back together, should get some seat time Thursday to test suspension

|

8/5/2019 6:28 PM

sandman768 wrote:

What do you think about throttle response? I played with both maps and still felt my 16.5 with a remap had better response... I just had this one remapped, it is better but still feels like it could be improved...I”m wondering if different muffler would help....I just had FC revalve my shock, I needed a stiffer spring...not as easy to find the sweet spot with this chassis as the 16.5 IMO...I just got it back together, should get some seat time Thursday to test suspension

I was definitely a little disappointed about the bottom end response. I still want to try adjusting the tps before trying a vortex or get.
kris keefer had a good write up and stated he felt the chassis needed 10-12hrs to "settle"
did you remove the spark arrestor from the muffler?

|

8/6/2019 4:25 AM

Spark arrester removed, 2t filter cage, drilled out airbox side flap, tps adjusted along with remap. It’s better but not as good as my 16.5 was. I have about 14 hrs on it now, but the stock rear spring was on the soft side for my weight and my CV forks needed a service, I had 100 hrs in my 16.5 so I felt right at home on it, hopefully the FC suspension will help me get the chassis to my liking...MXA states the akrapovic muffler slows down the low to mid transition, maybe I will try another muffler. Also thinking about going up a tooth on the rear, I would like to have 3rd gear pick up sooner.

|

8/6/2019 5:02 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Spark arrester removed, 2t filter cage, drilled out airbox side flap, tps adjusted along with remap. It’s better but not as good as my 16.5 was. I have about 14 hrs on it now, but the stock rear spring was on the soft side for my weight and my CV forks needed a service, I had 100 hrs in my 16.5 so I felt right at home on it, hopefully the FC suspension will help me get the chassis to my liking...MXA states the akrapovic muffler slows down the low to mid transition, maybe I will try another muffler. Also thinking about going up a tooth on the rear, I would like to have 3rd gear pick up sooner.

I was thinking the same thing went up to a 49t and currently have a wtt in the for sale section for a fmf exhaust.
I really want to try a rekluse radius cx also
|

9/5/2019 6:56 PM

[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/05/371087/s1200_20190905_204328.jpg[/img

changed back to orange. the white gripper graphics got chewed up so fast
|

9/5/2019 6:57 PM

|

9/6/2019 5:18 AM

I like the orange....how are your front wheel spokes holding up? I have to go over my spokes every ride and if I smack something hard, like coming up short on a jump, they get very loose again...

|

9/6/2019 7:56 AM

sandman768 wrote:

I like the orange....how are your front wheel spokes holding up? I have to go over my spokes every ride and if I smack something hard, like coming up short on a jump, they get very loose again...

yep same thing here. before I even rode it the thing had 7 dead spokes! I complained to the dealer and they said they might have loosened up on my trailer... I kinda buy their excuse a bit more now lol

|

9/6/2019 10:34 AM

sandman768 wrote:

lukemoto wrote:

yep same thing here. before I even rode it the thing had 7 dead spokes! I complained to the dealer and they said they might have loosened up on my trailer... I kinda buy their excuse a bit more now lol

I have also notified my dealer, so when my front wheel explodes they have a record of our discussion. I”m not trying to be a pita for my dealer but the bike has 20hrs of a 50+Rider, riding on groomed MX tracks, not like I”m hammering through rock gardens all day. It’s a shame, those nice looking orange spoke nipples aren’t orange anymore!

|

9/6/2019 11:26 AM

sandman768 wrote:

lukemoto wrote:

sandman768 wrote:

I have also notified my dealer, so when my front wheel explodes they have a record of our discussion. I”m not trying to be a pita for my dealer but the bike has 20hrs of a 50+Rider, riding on groomed MX tracks, not like I”m hammering through rock gardens all day. It’s a shame, those nice looking orange spoke nipples aren’t orange anymore!

that's not a bad idea least they could do would be to replace the nipples/spokes and lace them back up.

did you check your tps voltage? I've been reading about some people that find its low but i haven't had a problem with it yet.

|

9/6/2019 12:25 PM

lukemoto wrote:

that's not a bad idea least they could do would be to replace the nipples/spokes and lace them back up.

did you check your tps voltage? I've been reading about some people that find its low but i haven't had a problem with it yet.

Had the tps adjusted when remap was done, it was not that far off, I”m happy with the way it runs, or I have adjusted to how it runs, still would like to try stock muffler can to see if it helps throttle response, but have not made an effort get find one.

|

9/6/2019 2:31 PM

sandman768 wrote:

Had the tps adjusted when remap was done, it was not that far off, I”m happy with the way it runs, or I have adjusted to how it runs, still would like to try stock muffler can to see if it helps throttle response, but have not made an effort get find one.

I feel like the bike is plenty fast but it's just so smooth it feels like it lacks the brutal 450 bottom end feel, which for riders that like to lug a gear it leaves us wanting more grunt.
it's the fastest, easiest, and most mellow 450 I've ever ridden.

|

9/8/2019 2:41 PM

Like yellow mellow?

|

9/8/2019 4:51 PM

rjg wrote:

Like yellow mellow?

Suzuki? not sure haven't ridden one. but I don't mean mellow in a bad way at all.

|

9/11/2019 5:43 PM

|

9/11/2019 5:45 PM

added xtrig mounts and took off the bumpers from the silencer. 👍
|

9/12/2019 8:06 AM

vented airbox cover. next on the list will be a remap

|

9/15/2019 10:24 AM

lukemoto wrote:

vented airbox cover. next on the list will be a remap

The bike sounds a lot throatier now but as for power I cant say it feels any different. I am going to switch to the 2stroke cage and get a remap soon. I want to make this thing bark! I'm not sure if I want a vortex or get but they are definitely options. please comment if you have any experience with a stock remapped ecu or a aftermarket one.

|

9/16/2019 7:32 AM

lukemoto wrote:

The bike sounds a lot throatier now but as for power I cant say it feels any different. I am going to switch to the 2stroke cage and get a remap soon. I want to make this thing bark! I'm not sure if I want a vortex or get but they are definitely options. please comment if you have any experience with a stock remapped ecu or a aftermarket one.

I have a 2019 450sx and have compared back to back with a 19.5 Husky 450. The Husky is mapped by twisted, has the vented airbox and a fmf exhaust. Honestly felt mine was stronger. I was going to have my ecu mapped, but after riding one I don't think that I will.

|

9/24/2019 5:52 AM

Hi, great read and info.

I am looking into either a Herlings replica or a 2020, have to ask tho what do you prefer riding the 2 stroke or the new 450?, and why.

Last 450 I had was a 2017 and would just not turn well period, then had a 2018 350 and that was fun, but not for me.

Will keep an eye on this!.

|

2014 KTM 250 / Full Ohlins

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.

9/24/2019 9:02 AM

Make sure you have the quick turn throttle cam installed, it improves the throttle response...at 30hrs I replaced throttle grip/tube with oem replacement, little by little it gets slower and harder to turn, believe it or not, this helped also. I”m in the process of installing new chain & spockets, going to try +1 on the rear, a 49, this should allow me to use 3rd for all but the tightest turns.

|

9/24/2019 2:28 PM

#76 wrote:

Hi, great read and info.

I am looking into either a Herlings replica or a 2020, have to ask tho what do you prefer riding the 2 stroke or the new 450?, and why.

Last 450 I had was a 2017 and would just not turn well period, then had a 2018 350 and that was fun, but not for me.

Will keep an eye on this!.

thanks!
that's a really tough question! the 250 2t is so much fun it's really satisfying to come out of a corner just right, on the pipe and then just let her rip! that being said coming out of corners on the pipe is the tricky part lol the 250 doesn't hide rider error very well like the 450 does. I'm a +30 rider and I am really enjoying the power on demand the 450 has to offer! my lap times are usually 3-4sec faster on the 450 and I can do almost twice as many laps.

|