17 crf450r build

Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 8:50am
I've finally got around to posting my build. In the next 3-4 weeks it will (hopefully) be totally complete.

Of course, most builds start with a freshie.

Having a new Big Red, the next move seem to be a no-brainer: throw a Yoshi on her.

I then moved to putting on a Cycra Stadium plate and some temporary graphics on. In addition, I showed some love to a new sponsor of mine (Next -- a branch of Matrix Concepts) and threw on a Next front brake/ clutch and perch combo on. I was a tad skeptical at first as I've been a die hard ARC consumer, however I was very pleases with this new Next combo. Some grey ODI lock ons and a "bling kit" from Dubya was next in line. The Dubya kit included, the likes of engine plugs, anodized brake reservoir caps, axel blocks, rim locks, front cable guide, etc. was thrown on also. A wheel kit from Warp9 (I know theres some skepticism surrounding Warp also, but I have fell in love with my wheel set) with gold hubs, also added. Of course the all so necessary holeshot device from Works Connection was acquired. To top off this period, I added a guts gripper seat.

|
12/26/2017 11:46pm
I then stripped her down for a more minimalistic look, while adding a full Hinson clutch kit. At this time I also threw on Ride Engineering linkage (absolutley love it).
12/26/2017 11:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/27/2017 8:26pm
I've now taken my next "major" step, in adding a completely new graphic kit with a new title sponsor, black shrouds, black side plates, and I replaced my white stadium plate with a red stadium plate, a new Guts seat cover, and a yellow vent hose (small but nice touch).

Currently in the works for finishing post: Ti-Ni coated lowers; clear coat uppers; black anodized lugs, motor mounts, and triple clamps; Blue Moto Hose radiator hoses; Works Connection oil filter cover and dip stick; red EBC pads; a set of Moto Tape; ODI fat bars; ODI white or yellow grips (haven't decided); ODI oversized bar pad; Applied red oversized bar mounts; and lastly some new rubber in the form of Dunlop.

The Shop

12/29/2017 7:54pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Great looking bike so far??
Appreciate it! The radiator hoses will be on this weekend and the other parts listed are slowly trickling in. And fingers crossed I get my forks back within the next two weeks. Shipping over seas isn't exactly the quickest unfortunately haha
hubbardmx50
1/16/2018 10:38pm
I then stripped her down for a more minimalistic look, while adding a full Hinson clutch kit. At this time I also threw on Ride Engineering...
I then stripped her down for a more minimalistic look, while adding a full Hinson clutch kit. At this time I also threw on Ride Engineering linkage (absolutley love it).
With that link, are you able to run around 104-105mm of sag opposed to 107-108 like people run with the stock link arm? What does it do exactly, just balance out the bike more?
Trev311
1/18/2018 7:19am
Nice looking bike. Just a tad bit jealous.
1/18/2018 7:31am
I then stripped her down for a more minimalistic look, while adding a full Hinson clutch kit. At this time I also threw on Ride Engineering...
With that link, are you able to run around 104-105mm of sag opposed to 107-108 like people run with the stock link arm? What does it...
With that link, are you able to run around 104-105mm of sag opposed to 107-108 like people run with the stock link arm? What does it do exactly, just balance out the bike more?
Yeah, right around 105-106mm of sag with the link I believe. I'm not sure balance out is the description I would use. Well, maybe. I would describe it as a solid/ planted feel in the corners. Its not some miracle part by any means, but I can definitely tell a difference with it on.
1/26/2018 4:21am

Got my sticks back! Here's a look at the lowers.

Tomorrow is the day! I finally have everything, the few straggling parts I was waiting on, only thing left is putting her back together. To say I'm excited is an understatement haha
samcampbell
1/26/2018 6:35am
Tubes sure look trick. Care to share who did them and how much it cost?
1/26/2018 8:41am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 9:14am
Tubes sure look trick. Care to share who did them and how much it cost?
Appreciate it! Euro ended up doing the coatings. I believe the tubes were around $500-600
1/26/2018 9:17am
Heres a look of them back together and of the triple clamps /engine mounts.

3/6/2018 7:11am
Unfortunately haven't been able to get the work done as soon as I wanted, but the checkered flag is finally in view! All I have left is to throw the bar mounts, bars, throttle tube, grips, and plastic back on and she's good to go.

erik_94COBRA
5/13/2018 6:41am
Gold hubs are really nice looking.

Notice any difference with the Yosh exhaust over stock?

And any benefit from the frame grip tape?

Nice build.
5/13/2018 8:16am
Gold hubs are really nice looking.

Notice any difference with the Yosh exhaust over stock?

And any benefit from the frame grip tape?

Nice build.
Appreciate it!

Not a huge difference. The biggest thing I notice is in the mid range -- it feels like it pulls much smoother here compared to stock. It also seems to rev out longer across the whole spectrum in general.

I've always been a fan of grip tape. I demolish graphics in that shroud/back plates area, so I like to think the grip tape helps prevent that by keeping my legs from rubbing as much. But honestly to what extent it helps I'm not positive. It very well could be placebo haha but hey it looks good.
SIMX2
5/24/2018 10:57am
All it needs now is a SIMX sticker!!
5/25/2018 7:45am
SIMX2 wrote:
All it needs now is a SIMX sticker!!
Haha you're right, I think all my bikes from 65s up had one
hubbardmx50
11/26/2018 3:18pm
Don't know how I'm just seeing the finished product of this build, but wow! Do you still have this bike or did you sell it to get the Kawi? And also how do both bikes stack up in comparison?
11/28/2018 7:28am
Don't know how I'm just seeing the finished product of this build, but wow! Do you still have this bike or did you sell it to...
Don't know how I'm just seeing the finished product of this build, but wow! Do you still have this bike or did you sell it to get the Kawi? And also how do both bikes stack up in comparison?
I ended up selling it. You know how it is with bike year. Even with the money I had in it I was worried I wouldn't get anything for it if I waited another year. As far as a comparison goes I really enjoyed the Honda, easily one of the most powerful bikes I've owned. The suspension was fantastic too, especially after the work we had done -- the linkage was a game changer. However, that said, the Kawi is leaps ahead in my opinion... I'll admit I don't think it's as fast as far as pure raw power goes, but it's just so much more rideable and smooth. i mean just to give you an idea, I matched my lap times of the Honda after everything was done to it on my track on the Kawi straight out of the crate.
EHink450
11/29/2018 8:49am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 8:50am
That bike is sick. You did a nice job on her. Shame you had to sell. I really like hondas alot lately the more I read about them and the more I see built crf's online. Definitely gonna be my next bike.

Post a reply to: 17 crf450r build

The Latest