17 250 SX

Edited Date/Time 9/18/2017 1:44pm

|
9/7/2017 8:23pm
random question but, did you mill the head to adjust the squish? I just got a 17 tc 250 and wondering if that mod is worth the hassle?
9/8/2017 7:57pm
It's completely stock inside save for the Wiseco top end kit. It will remain that way for its life.

The Shop

FTB
9/8/2017 8:03pm
random question but, did you mill the head to adjust the squish? I just got a 17 tc 250 and wondering if that mod is worth...
random question but, did you mill the head to adjust the squish? I just got a 17 tc 250 and wondering if that mod is worth the hassle?
It'll give you a better tune, bit more HP, plus better fuel economy
9/8/2017 8:33pm
FTB wrote:
damn. I may just go for it and see how I like it. everything ive been reading says there is almost no drawbacks to it. found stock heads online for under $100. sounds like a cheap mod to try with very good gains. how hard was tuning?
9/11/2017 5:42am
No. I'm not milling the head for a better "tune". Let me say this again the bike will stay stock inside for the remainder of my ownership.
FTB
9/11/2017 12:59pm
FTB wrote:
damn. I may just go for it and see how I like it. everything ive been reading says there is almost no drawbacks to it. found...
damn. I may just go for it and see how I like it. everything ive been reading says there is almost no drawbacks to it. found stock heads online for under $100. sounds like a cheap mod to try with very good gains. how hard was tuning?
I have a Lectron, so pretty easy lol.

I did gain 3 HP though.
FTB
9/11/2017 1:00pm
No. I'm not milling the head for a better "tune". Let me say this again [b]the bike will stay stock inside for the remainder of my...
No. I'm not milling the head for a better "tune". Let me say this again the bike will stay stock inside for the remainder of my ownership.
Relax mate. I wasn't talking to you, if I was, I would've quoted you.
doofy
9/11/2017 3:05pm
No. I'm not milling the head for a better "tune". Let me say this again [b]the bike will stay stock inside for the remainder of my...
Sheeeeesh.....
Camp332
9/11/2017 6:24pm
FTB wrote:
You see that snake on his graphics Bro? That means "Don't Mess With Me!" Laughing
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
9/12/2017 11:40am
FTB wrote:
Camp332 wrote:
You see that snake on his graphics Bro? That means "Don't Mess With Me!" Laughing
Effing A cotton!
ktm-5
9/13/2017 3:32pm
FTB wrote:
damn. I may just go for it and see how I like it. everything ive been reading says there is almost no drawbacks to it. found...
Milled the head on our 14 250sx was a big positive, definitely worth it
FTB
9/13/2017 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 4:28pm
FTB wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
KTM's have the worst squish settings from the factory,
It wasn't about increasing HP for me, I just wanted my engine to run more efficiently.
9/14/2017 7:03pm
FTB wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
is the guideline for milling about .020-.025 inch? made a few calls today, looking to get it done next week.
ktm-5
9/14/2017 7:11pm
ktm-5 wrote:
is the guideline for milling about .020-.025 inch? made a few calls today, looking to get it done next week.
Best thing to do is a squish test to see exactly how bad it is. If your looking for something just quick to help it run better you can take .010 off with no worries. If you want the best performance wise take a squish test and send your head to jbonemotor works, he Mills the head and reshapes the dome, one of the best mods we did
9/14/2017 7:21pm
ktm-5 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Best thing to do is a squish test to see exactly how bad it is. If your looking for something just quick to help it run...
Best thing to do is a squish test to see exactly how bad it is. If your looking for something just quick to help it run better you can take .010 off with no worries. If you want the best performance wise take a squish test and send your head to jbonemotor works, he Mills the head and reshapes the dome, one of the best mods we did
I know there is lots of different ideas of how to shape the head. im just looking for a less temperamental fix. had my 06 yz and never touched the carb at all form riding from sea level to 4000'. my tc will be ridden on all the same tracks, and from pala ( where it ripped) to Cahuilla, the bike seemed like was down on power badly. i don't think i want to get that involved in cc'ing the head and reshaping, but looking for a basic mod though. should i meet in the middle and go .015"?
ktm-5
9/14/2017 7:27pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Best thing to do is a squish test to see exactly how bad it is. If your looking for something just quick to help it run...
I know there is lots of different ideas of how to shape the head. im just looking for a less temperamental fix. had my 06 yz...
I know there is lots of different ideas of how to shape the head. im just looking for a less temperamental fix. had my 06 yz and never touched the carb at all form riding from sea level to 4000'. my tc will be ridden on all the same tracks, and from pala ( where it ripped) to Cahuilla, the bike seemed like was down on power badly. i don't think i want to get that involved in cc'ing the head and reshaping, but looking for a basic mod though. should i meet in the middle and go .015"?
You should be safe there. If I remember correctly I think our squish was like .062 it ran much better than stock after I took .010 off our bike was an sx
sandman768
9/15/2017 4:39am
Nice build Jeff, what are your jetting specs? I have an 18..with a little stumble off idle
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/18/2017 11:42am
ktm-5 wrote:
I know there is lots of different ideas of how to shape the head. im just looking for a less temperamental fix. had my 06 yz...
ktm-5 wrote:
You should be safe there. If I remember correctly I think our squish was like .062 it ran much better than stock after I took .010...
You should be safe there. If I remember correctly I think our squish was like .062 it ran much better than stock after I took .010 off our bike was an sx
Remember its not about a rigid number to take off, but determining how much you need to take off to get to the right setting for YOUR bike. I've turned a few heads down, on two different but same year motors, the heads had different amounts taken off to get the squish right.

I have had excellent results running .040-.045 squish while using 110 fuel. or a 50/50 mix of 110 and no ethanol 93. If you go tighter with the squish, the bike will feel tighter and seem to not rev out as good. So there is a happy place.

If for some reason you don't like the feel or get sick of buying race fuel, a new head is 90 bucks, then she back stock, no big deal.
ktm-5
9/18/2017 11:58am
ktm-5 wrote:
You should be safe there. If I remember correctly I think our squish was like .062 it ran much better than stock after I took .010...
Markee wrote:
Remember its not about a rigid number to take off, but determining how much you need to take off to get to the right setting for...
Remember its not about a rigid number to take off, but determining how much you need to take off to get to the right setting for YOUR bike. I've turned a few heads down, on two different but same year motors, the heads had different amounts taken off to get the squish right.

I have had excellent results running .040-.045 squish while using 110 fuel. or a 50/50 mix of 110 and no ethanol 93. If you go tighter with the squish, the bike will feel tighter and seem to not rev out as good. So there is a happy place.

If for some reason you don't like the feel or get sick of buying race fuel, a new head is 90 bucks, then she back stock, no big deal.
If you would have read all of my comments you would have seen I said it's BEST to check your squish first.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/18/2017 1:42pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Markee wrote:
Remember its not about a rigid number to take off, but determining how much you need to take off to get to the right setting for...

ktm-5 wrote:
If you would have read all of my comments you would have seen I said it's BEST to check your squish first.
I quoted the wrong person. I was just trying to help rollin 64 understand a little better.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
9/18/2017 1:44pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/06/213497/s1200_IMG_0502.jpg[/img]

Bike looks great Jeff

Post a reply to: 17 250 SX

The Latest