14 KTM 250 SX winter refresh

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 6:00am
First time posting here after lurking like most. Lots of great bike builds here. Thought I would share mine. Keep in mind, this is weekend warrior +30 C vet bike. Mostly open motocross practice and D23 hare scrambles, not a garage queen. A new bike isn't in the financial budget this year, so that's why the refresh. So no high end titanium or works parts here. Sorry if rebuilding a 5 year old MX bike is over done. Save your time and stop reading now.

On with the subject matter here, 2014 KTM 250 SX. I bought it fall of 2015 after trading my KTM supermoto straight up with a guy on craigslist. I'm the third owner, no idea original hours on the bike. Assume one full race season by a local MX'r. Already had suspension setup, and some aftermarket bits, like radiator braces, lowering link, tusk wheel set. Previous owner claims full engine rebuild prior, yada, yada.

Here she is after I originally spruced her up:

Always wanted the frame powder coated orange, so time for tear down.

Frame was getting pretty rough, worse under the frame guards.

|
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 9:06am
All stripped down and ready for powder coat
I love before and after photos, so satisfying.

I like when you come home to find moto goodies on your door step.

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 9:39am
It's been a great bike, I've ridden it for 4 seasons without issue. I installed an hour meter when I got. 28 hours over 4 years. Yeah, I ride a lot. Dry
Sad part is, half of the hours are just from last year. Either way hope to ride more. I've added and replaced parts over the years. Flywheel weight, FMF pipe and silencer, had the suspension setup for me, etc.
Now back together she goes...

Of course new steering stem bearings were installed. Cleaned and greased the swingarm and linkage bearings. Replacing all the wearables. Looks like original countershaft cover. The other chain sliders were replaced by previous owner. Old vs new

Even with such low hours (?) It's interesting to see how stuff wears out so fast on these machines. I imagine the previous owner has 40 hours on it plus my 28, if i had to guess.
On to the rear brake caliper. I always wondered what was up with the caliper piston...

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 9:48am
I guess that plastic insert is actually part of the caliper piston. Also found one brake pad retainer clip missing, possibly causing the uneven pad wear.

New brake caliper piston, o-rings, pads, and brake hardware.

FarleyMX25
1/26/2020 12:13pm
Love the build. I have two 13 models. Great bikes. Looking forward to the rest of the build!

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
1/26/2020 12:20pm
Looking good!

I added the top clamp from a newer bike to my 14 150SX and it helped a lot with the vibration.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 1:33pm
Looking good!

I added the top clamp from a newer bike to my 14 150SX and it helped a lot with the vibration.
What top clamp did you use? I wanted to do the same, but wasn't sure if they were interchangeable.
I also want to update to the newer front number plate and fender combo. But they also changed the color of the KTM orange and I don't want to buy another full plastic set just to match the front.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 1:45pm
More cleaning today. Not the Sunday cleaning my wife had in mind..

Like we say at the track, "good enough for the girls we go for."
I'm not going for the polished look. Trust me, after looking at some of the other builds around here, I thought about investing in a bench polisher, soda blasting, and cabinet etc. But after thinking about it, my first wet sloppy spring ride would make all that seem worthless.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 1:56pm
Inspected the reeds, was going to order new pedals...

but they're discontinued for the VForce 3 valve. Oh well, guess I needed an upgrade.

I was curious what the difference was from the V3 to V4.
Intake manifold boot also appears weathered, so I got a new one as well.

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 2:17pm
New coolant tee and radiator hoses. Removing the stock tee wasn't so bad as long as your not reusing it. I just pulled the rubber hose ends off with a pliers, pulled the pipe down thru the frame and cut it with a hacksaw. No need for special tools.

New frame guards. These look so much better. Yes, they are still loose. Still need to put the engine back in...

erik_94COBRA
1/26/2020 2:46pm
Looking good!

What top clamp did you use? I wanted to do the same, but wasn't sure if they were interchangeable. I also want to update to the...
What top clamp did you use? I wanted to do the same, but wasn't sure if they were interchangeable.
I also want to update to the newer front number plate and fender combo. But they also changed the color of the KTM orange and I don't want to buy another full plastic set just to match the front.
Found a full set for $200 from a 17 250 SXF.

The 19 plastic is more fluorescent orange vs pumpkin orange on my 14.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
1/26/2020 6:19pm
I might need some of your guys help. My front wheel set is a DNA and my rear is a TUSK. My front wheel bearings are a little crunchy. Supposedly the Tusk wheel bearing kit fits these old DNA hubs? Looks like I could use new spacers as well. Not sure if the silver colored spacers that came equipped on the bike are DNA or OEM. The black ones are the new Tusk replacements. The silver ones have a wider lip for the sealing surface. The black ones are a little longer in overall length. What would you do? Waiting for bearings and seals to arrive before I can test fit.

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 10:59am
Update, recieved a Tusk front wheel bearing kit. Bearings and seals are correct, the spacer is not. Luckily, I'm able to salvage the old one. Damaged the new wheel bearing going in, should have known better with the inexpensive chineese bearings. Ordered some high quality replacements on Amazon. Here's a pic of the spacers. Note the Tusk one is longer and the DNA one has tappered edges the fit to the bearings.

While I wait for front wheel bearings to arrive, on to the motor...

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 11:11am
Remove the power valve cover and this is what I find...

The bolt that holds the spring to the lever was loose, and the spring had zero tension on it.

Causing wear on a few power valve parts

Power valve was a bit sticky. After a bit of elbow grease, cleaned all the carbon off, and working freely again.
2/2/2020 11:18am
Interested in following this thread. I’m about to do the exact same thing to my 14 sx. I have to frame it and now that is turning into replacing everything.

Mine has 263 hours, so a lot will need to be done to it lol

My engine is still pretty fresh so I will hold off on that, and possibly send off the cylinder, head and cases when it comes time to rebuild the bottom end
2/2/2020 11:50am
Do you think stripping the whole frame with air craft stripper is necessary? It looks like you may have just sanded the bad areas on your frame?
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 1:57pm
Do you think stripping the whole frame with air craft stripper is necessary? It looks like you may have just sanded the bad areas on your...
Do you think stripping the whole frame with air craft stripper is necessary? It looks like you may have just sanded the bad areas on your frame?
I dropped it off at the powder coater with dirt still on it. They sandblasted the entire frame before powder coating. Cost me less than $200 for the whole process.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 2:17pm
This is the one area of the frame I have mixed feelings on. Anyone here that has powder coated a KTM frame knows that you could potentially destroy the VIN # stamped in the frame. That's cause it's only stamped into the powder coat. My guy taped it off. Good side is, you can read the VIN and know its legit. Bad side is, it looks tacky. But, it's behind the number plate and you won't really notice it.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 2:18pm
Really interested to see how this thing performs with the power valve correctly adjusted. I've never played with the power valves. Never had any complaints riding it, no lack of power which is strange. Think I would have noticed something.
Just doing a top end only. Bottom still checks within spec. Replaced the Weisco with the same one. Looks like the original owner did replace a top end once before me.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/2/2020 2:34pm
Funny the things you find when doing a complete tear down. Noticed the brake spring wore the hole out. Thought about having someone weld it but, found one of the bearings also seized. So, time for new brake pedal too.

I went with the Torc1 pedal to match my Torc1 shifter on the other side. Thought the brake snake that it comes with (not pictured) might come in handy durring a hare scramble someday.
2/2/2020 3:16pm
Nice. Yeah I was concerned with the VIN, I have a buddy that works at a body shop that said he will paint it for me so I’m sure I’ll be in good hands. Really wanted powder coating but I don’t want to deal with people I don’t know.

My brake wears in the same spot, check your clutch cover hole also. I’ve had both repaired and they need it again.

Also, I’ve ran vertex and wisecos in my bike with zero issues. The last 3 have been wisecos and I’m sticking with it. Vertex c clips are a pain.

I’m excited to refresh the whole bike. Just framed it today and may make my own thread for the build. Nothing special
2/3/2020 11:59am

Erik did you notice a real difference in vibration that made you feel like it was worth the $200?

I'm interested, but $200 is a lot to gamble on lol
erik_94COBRA
2/3/2020 1:56pm

Erik did you notice a real difference in vibration that made you feel like it was worth the $200? I'm interested, but $200 is a lot...
Erik did you notice a real difference in vibration that made you feel like it was worth the $200?

I'm interested, but $200 is a lot to gamble on lol
I think so.

I switched to the stock triple clamps with rubber bar mounts from a very nice set of Applied Racing rigid bar mounts on a CR250 I used to have l. Was significantly better.

I rode a 14 250SX at a demo day when planning to upgrade from my CR250. It vibrated really bad.

After riding my 150 SX for awhile I had the same sensation as my old Honda. Then found a set on Facebook and snagged them. Was a lot better.

2/3/2020 2:14pm
I think so. I switched to the stock triple clamps with rubber bar mounts from a very nice set of Applied Racing rigid bar mounts on...
I think so.

I switched to the stock triple clamps with rubber bar mounts from a very nice set of Applied Racing rigid bar mounts on a CR250 I used to have l. Was significantly better.

I rode a 14 250SX at a demo day when planning to upgrade from my CR250. It vibrated really bad.

After riding my 150 SX for awhile I had the same sensation as my old Honda. Then found a set on Facebook and snagged them. Was a lot better.

Sweet, thank you man.

OP, as somebody in the middle of restoring a 2012 250XC, your pictures of the teardown have honestly been very helpful in trying to figure out some of the wiring routing lol so thank you for that.

Build looks great!
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/3/2020 5:05pm
Thanks, and you're welcome. I use the photos for a reference when putting stuff back together. You think you'll remember when taking it apart, then 2-3 weeks go bye...
lumpy790
2/5/2020 7:09am
Thank you for showing your build with our hoses!

Happy to see your build going so well and Love the look of the orange frame!

Have to ask. What happened to the good clamps KTM and Husky come stock with?

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/5/2020 10:13am
Thanks lumpy. I haven't tightened down the clamps yet, because I was thinking the same thing. Those are the clamps that were installed by the previous owner... Undecided which clamps I will order, the KTM ones or the ones you guys supply. I understand the automotive style have a sharp edge that could wear through or damage the hose.
lumpy790
2/5/2020 4:26pm
Correct the sharp edges and the cut out holes for the threads dragging across hoses can create damage Not sure what the OEM KTM clamps cost but ours are $2 each.

AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/16/2020 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2020 8:34pm
Update. Slow with the updates, mostly because nothing really note worthy. Engine is all back together, with new top end. I estimate the machine has around 75 hours on it. So low end has plenty of life. Piston was replaced once by PO, probably didn't even need a new top end. Only power valve service. I expect the bike to have more top end or over-rev than before.

All back together in the bike:

Thanks to lumpy790 for steering me the correct way on my hoses. A secret reason why I post photos along the way, so other vital mxer's can point out my faults.

Part of the hardest part of the build is, my inability to make decisions on what parts, what graphics, etc. Trying to stay on a budget. This bike is slowly becoming my woods weapon, more than an MX'er.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1297th
2/16/2020 8:30pm
Replaced the ignition cover with an OEM one. The old one no longer sealed dirt and dust. Note, the new replacement from KTM, does not have the KTM logo on it.

Plan on using paint stripper on my clutch cover, and going for a raw aluminum look since the paint is wore off anyways.

erik_94COBRA
2/17/2020 5:54am
I may do a set of these graphics on my 14 eventually.

Credit to user jeffro667 on here.

Post a reply to: 14 KTM 250 SX winter refresh

The Latest