$100 PW 80

Aj528
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2021 10:11pm
My little guy got a Chinese electric bike for his birthday last April and has loved it. He has been bugging me for a gas powered bike, but I’m fresh out of college at pretty strapped for cash so I’ve been putting it off. But I had been keeping my eye out for either a KX 65 or a PW 80. A 65 was my first bike 18 years ago, and the 80 would let him get a decent bike speed wise without having to deal with the clutch. I’ve messaged in over 100 different Facebook ads over the past 8 months, but no luck. Finally last week I found a PW 80 with a blown up motor for $100. I jumped on it and went and picked it up. I’m still not wealthy, but money has been better as of late. I looked up parts for the bike and found I could replace the plastics, graphics, seat, air box, brakes, throttle, bars, carb, head, cylinder, piston, rod, crank, and gaskets for under $400

Basically for a $500 investment I could turn this old bike into something almost brand new. So I ordered all the parts between Amazon and eBay and they should be in within the next week or so. A lot of knock off stuff, but for his current level of riding I’m not worried. Less of a performance build and more to test his true interest.

But I also want to do a few things that can make it a fun pit bike for me too, especially once he grows out of it. The previous owner had switched wheels to one with a disk brake, but never added the caliper. I’m going to mockup a mount for a Chinese caliper.

May powder coat frame, and might swap front forks and triple clamps so I can have disk front brakes too. For an extra $350 I can have new wheels, forks, and shocks with disk brakes on both ends. But that’s yet to be determined.

I always hated working on my bikes when I raced, but now I’m totallyI excited to work on this for my little guy!

Going with white plastics, black tank, red seat, and maybe black wheels.

|
Aj528
2/13/2021 4:02pm
Well, I’ve lost my mind a bit. Have wheels on the way. Also have 35mm fork and triple clamps coming. Chinese pit bike forks but still better than what’s on it. Also Will allow for disk brake on both ends. Might have an Ohlins shock for it if it fits. The knock off 110 market has made it so I can put way too many cool toys on this pdub.

So current new parts list is;
Crank
Rod
Main bearings
Cylinder
Piston
Rings
Head
Spark plug
Cdi/spark cap
Throttle assembly
Carb
Oil injection delete plate
Handle bars
Grips
Triple clamps
35mm forks
Black Wheels front and back
Disk brake set up front and back
Chain and sprocket
Shifter
White Plastic kit including tank and seat
Air box
Bolt kit
Graphics

Had to modify swing arm to create a brake stay, but came up with something pretty easy.

Took it down to frame and swing arm and them gave it a good soak in a bath tub of degreaser, scotch brute and a tooth brush, sanded down edges on chipping paint, then etching primer, wet sand, and gloss black. Was going to strip it, blue up the welds, and then clear it, but with the new paint stripper after they handed the good stuff I was worried it would end up being a mess.

I pray I don’t find any other cool toys for this thing because my wallet can’t afford it! Doing a split and seal this week on motor and then it will start going back together.

876moto
2/14/2021 9:26pm
Following. Feel free to do my 80 next haha
Aj528
2/27/2021 1:21pm
Waiting for my dad to finish the motor. Got front end and brakes installed. Probably going to pull forks back off after we have it all together and ride it a time or two and put top out spacers in them to lower them. Even slid all the way up in the clamps they’re about and inch and a half taller. Still waiting on the ohlins shock to see how much that raises it. Don’t want it to be a chopper. Also waiting on a rear axle bolt. Front axel bolt went from a 12mm to a 15 and I didn’t realize. So I moved the rear axle bolt to the front because I wanted to finish the front end, and ordered one for the rear. Front and back fenders/number plates are installed, tank and seat are just set on.

The Shop

Aj528
3/5/2021 3:57pm
I trimmed the back of the seat down so it followed the lines of the bike better and doesn’t look so frompy. Played with the front end and steering a bit to get it happier. Still will need to pull fork off and put top out spacer in them. Right now it’s pretty choppered and the forks are too stiff which makes that even worse especially for my little guy who’s 60lbs soaking wet. Probably will end up with lighter fork springs and stiffer shock spring. Also the ohlins shock I had didn’t fit, so I picked up a cheap eBay one.

Also ended up having to order front and rear axle bolts, twice. First set were way too long. Somehow the front and rear got separated despite ordering at the same time, so I’m waiting on the rear currently. Also had to open up the hole in the swing arm for the bigger bolts.

Stickers got here today. Both the stickers and plastics were eBay cheapies, so I’m not sure who was off, but they fit a little weird and they only cover like half of the side plates and seam small on the front and rear fender. If the front number plate wasn’t perfect I would have said they were for the 50 not the 80. Still looks decent thought.

Most of the roller is done. My little guy has been out bouncing on it. Cool seeing it come together. Wait on my dad to finish the engine. Did some cool coatings on that. Still debating exhaust. I can’t find any good aftermarket stuff online so I make just paint it back to black(previous owner rattle canned everything silver.)

Have had a lot of head scratching moment and had to stretch my brain muscles retrofitting a lot of this non pw parts onto this, but I’m really happy with how it’s turned out so far!

Aj528
4/22/2021 10:15pm
Finally got the motor in it and running! Once I got the motor in I realized my mounting for the rear break reservoir would have to be moved, and I will have to bend the rear pedal. Also need to build a new chain tensioner and chain guard.

Little guys birthday was last week and he’s been itching to ride so we went to the track today with just front brake. He’s just getting started, only had an electric bike before. Rode mostly in the pits and a little in the track. We haven’t had done anything motor wise to make it faster, so it’s pretty slow, but I think that’s good for him right now as it’s not as intimidating.

Also had my head scratching. Runs for like 10 minutes without issue. Then randomly shuts off. Kicks right back over. Runs for 20-30 seconds and shuts off. Usually we would do that 3-4 times and then push it back. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then it will run for 10 minutes again. I have no clue what’s up. I was thinking maybe clutch overheating, but then it shouldn’t start right back up and run fine. Anyone have any ideas?

4/23/2021 3:55am
Aj528 wrote:
Finally got the motor in it and running! Once I got the motor in I realized my mounting for the rear break reservoir would have to...
Finally got the motor in it and running! Once I got the motor in I realized my mounting for the rear break reservoir would have to be moved, and I will have to bend the rear pedal. Also need to build a new chain tensioner and chain guard.

Little guys birthday was last week and he’s been itching to ride so we went to the track today with just front brake. He’s just getting started, only had an electric bike before. Rode mostly in the pits and a little in the track. We haven’t had done anything motor wise to make it faster, so it’s pretty slow, but I think that’s good for him right now as it’s not as intimidating.

Also had my head scratching. Runs for like 10 minutes without issue. Then randomly shuts off. Kicks right back over. Runs for 20-30 seconds and shuts off. Usually we would do that 3-4 times and then push it back. Let it sit for 20 minutes and then it will run for 10 minutes again. I have no clue what’s up. I was thinking maybe clutch overheating, but then it shouldn’t start right back up and run fine. Anyone have any ideas?

When we've had bogging issues my go to because its free and quiet often is an issue is blocked vent hosing
JMX82
4/23/2021 4:24am
It could be bad stator coil. Ignition system can start to acting up once it's warmed. Check spark when the problem occurs
Aj528
4/23/2021 9:54am
JMX82 wrote:
It could be bad stator coil. Ignition system can start to acting up once it's warmed. Check spark when the problem occurs
Literally as soon as it stops you can kick it and fires first kick. All the things that would make sense to me get blown out the window since it fires right back up.
4/23/2021 2:15pm
That thing looks really cool. I was going to try to put those same forks on a z50 with an extended swingarm, but I ran into enough issues that I just did klx forks instead. Did you have to swap the steering stem or did it work just fine without modifying?

I had one of those that always ran terrible. Did you stop the oil injection and just use premix? I heard they helps it run better.
Aj528
4/23/2021 10:11pm
That thing looks really cool. I was going to try to put those same forks on a z50 with an extended swingarm, but I ran into...
That thing looks really cool. I was going to try to put those same forks on a z50 with an extended swingarm, but I ran into enough issues that I just did klx forks instead. Did you have to swap the steering stem or did it work just fine without modifying?

I had one of those that always ran terrible. Did you stop the oil injection and just use premix? I heard they helps it run better.
I had to play with the bearings to make it work. A little janky but using a combo of oem races, the after market bearings, and some hardware store spaces and bushings. Had to put it together a couple times with different configurations before it felt good and no slop or resistance. Still need to work on steering stops.

We deleted the oil pump and running pre mix. It sounds good and runs good(just slow), but it just shuts off after it gets hot.
kylekyle
3/26/2023 11:31am
Aj528 wrote:
I trimmed the back of the seat down so it followed the lines of the bike better and doesn’t look so frompy. Played with the front...
I trimmed the back of the seat down so it followed the lines of the bike better and doesn’t look so frompy. Played with the front end and steering a bit to get it happier. Still will need to pull fork off and put top out spacer in them. Right now it’s pretty choppered and the forks are too stiff which makes that even worse especially for my little guy who’s 60lbs soaking wet. Probably will end up with lighter fork springs and stiffer shock spring. Also the ohlins shock I had didn’t fit, so I picked up a cheap eBay one.

Also ended up having to order front and rear axle bolts, twice. First set were way too long. Somehow the front and rear got separated despite ordering at the same time, so I’m waiting on the rear currently. Also had to open up the hole in the swing arm for the bigger bolts.

Stickers got here today. Both the stickers and plastics were eBay cheapies, so I’m not sure who was off, but they fit a little weird and they only cover like half of the side plates and seam small on the front and rear fender. If the front number plate wasn’t perfect I would have said they were for the 50 not the 80. Still looks decent thought.

Most of the roller is done. My little guy has been out bouncing on it. Cool seeing it come together. Wait on my dad to finish the engine. Did some cool coatings on that. Still debating exhaust. I can’t find any good aftermarket stuff online so I make just paint it back to black(previous owner rattle canned everything silver.)

Have had a lot of head scratching moment and had to stretch my brain muscles retrofitting a lot of this non pw parts onto this, but I’m really happy with how it’s turned out so far!

How did you trimm the seat 

9/15/2023 1:51pm

Hi,

this thread was really interesting and hugely inspiring. I’m planning doing something very similar to my old PW80 which I’ve had for about 30years (it was my 1st bike that I got when I was 7). I thought about using pit bike parts for upgrades, so it’s great to see that it’s already been done and works. Can I ask I few specific questions?…..

what wheel size did you go for? Standard 14” front and 12” rear?

can you go into a bit more detail about getting the forks to fit the PW head tube? What additional parts were required?

you mentioned that the forks were a bit too long. What size are they and what do you think would be better?

sorry for all the questions. I love what you’ve achieved and just want to do my old bike justice. Your sons a lucky kid. 

zander

Post a reply to: $100 PW 80

The Latest