09 Rmz 450 build

12/26/2018 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 10:16am
Hey guys, ive always wanted to post on the build i did last summer but with racing and traveling I never got the chance, anyways heres the story on this bike.
I also broke my back riding in 2016 and sold my YZ right after and said Id never ride again but I guess i couldnt stay away! haha

I got it from a buddy who had 4 of these bikes and this was a bike which he stole parts from and eventually became just a frame sitting in the corner with birdshit all over it. basically what i got was a frame, swingarm, subframe, fuel tank, two half motors (enough to build two into one) suspension and a box of random parts such as a wiring harness and throttle body. Thankfully a bunch of years ago i had one of these bikes and kept alot of stuff from them and have a few connections within the industry which helped me out.

Im still digging for pictures of when i got it but as you can see it was in rough shape, frame was filthy, swingarm bearings were as roached as they could be.

So i gave the frame a good scrub and cleaned what I had and was on the search for parts.

While being on a budget working fulltime I was searching for what I needed to build the motor. I needed a crank, piston, cylinder, head redone and all new bearings and all that stuff. For some reason I didnt take any pictures of doing much to the motor which i kick myself for but I am currently rebuilding another motor I had bought in a box and Ill show what it looks like as it will be in the bike for next season.

like I said I am still searching for pictures of the mid build. I bought a Set of rads thru the team I worked for during the time, got hubs from Mike Alessis Mechanic, RG3 clamps and linkage from the team aswell. I found a set of old rad hoses I had laying around and got them all cleaned up. I bought a set of DID Black hoops and spokes from MXONLY in Saskatchewan and spun and polished the hubs down for a nice clean look.

Here is the bike with the motor assembled and halfway done

I then found some ti bolts for the front end and plastics on ebay so I scooped them up since i needed them anyways. I got the wheels all done and mounted some Phirellis up. I had old early 2000s RM250 master cylinder for the front and found a lightly used caliper on ebay for 10 bucks and got a yamaha GYTR front braided brake line and used all Ti banjo bolts.

The bike then got put on hold as The new year started and we began building race bikes and got into a couple x games projects for Blair Morgan and Ryan Villopoto and then our race season in canada started in february.
Every time Id get some extra time id head out into the garage and work away at it and get parts to finish it,
Heres a couple pics from X Games

until I find anymore pics here is how the bike looks like now with a Hydraulic Clutch and about 7 hours of riding time on it.

Thanks for looking and I hope you like It, Im glad I got back on the bike and ride for fun because I sure missed it!
|
12/26/2018 4:14pm
They’re one of my favorite 450s! Here on the east coast they work very well. Nice build!
1/16/2019 10:16am
Ive got brand new Yoshimura Camshafts for that bike if you are interested Smile

Post a reply to: 09 Rmz 450 build

The Latest