08 RM250 With RMZ Subframe

agcarlson
Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 5:39am
Hey guys!
Long time listener, first time caller.

I am totally doing this completely backwards because my build will be ride-able tonight. I just wanted to share the bike and I should have done this sooner so I could have had people pushing me to finish it faster than 2 years Grinning

So here it is, 2008 RM250. Bought it brand new at the end of 07 so I like to think I'm not a 2-stroke bandwagon fan haha. I have built it up a few times over the years but this is the most comprehensive build so far and most expensive. It has a 2013 RMZ 250 subframe to try and update the look and be unique. I have seen a few bikes with the 450 subframe but never the 250. The 250 plastics have better shape IMO. Other than the powdercoat and subframe everything else is just bolt on stuff so its not really to exotic. I really wanted to spend more time/money on it but there is a 2stroke race next weekend that I wanted to do so i just started putting it together. I also just sent out my CRF suspension and bought an exhaust so I am broke as a joke. I will post more build pics later tonight but heres a few for now.

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/8/2018 7:48am
Bike looks sweet! I'd like to hear more about how you got the rmz subframe to work. I've never seen anyone use a 450 subframe either
mx125cc
6/8/2018 12:53pm
That’s really nice ! How much work was fitting the subframe ?

The Shop

agcarlson
6/8/2018 1:34pm
Thanks for the love guys. The subframe was actually very easy to do, maybe I will do a write up. Got a busy weekend ahead of me but I rode it for the first time today just around the yard and I'm super pumped!
PTshox
6/8/2018 3:16pm
Nice work. Did you have to mod the RMZ250 sub frame or did it bolt right up?
And what did you do for an air boot? Use the RM250 one on the RMZ250 air box?
agcarlson
6/9/2018 4:52pm
PTshox wrote:
Nice work. Did you have to mod the RMZ250 sub frame or did it bolt right up? And what did you do for an air boot...
Nice work. Did you have to mod the RMZ250 sub frame or did it bolt right up?
And what did you do for an air boot? Use the RM250 one on the RMZ250 air box?
I'll write up some info for you guys after the weekend is over it's been super busy for me and isn't done yet!
agcarlson
6/11/2018 4:05am
For those interested here are some pics of the subframe mods. It is relatively simple, I used a 2013 RMZ 250 subframe plastics and air box. The RM air boot bolts directly to the RMZ air box which made this super easy. I also used the RM seat with some slight Mods and it fit good enough, I dont think its bad but could be better. The two lower subframe mounts were untouched, they are a tad wide but squeeze in with the bolts so not to worried. the upper mounts we cut the slugs out and shortened along with making some spacers to fit to the RM frame because it is narrower than the RMZ. Moved one silencer mount on the subframe and modified one silencer mount on the exhaust. I dont have measurements on how far things were moved but I would be happy to measure the finished product if anyone wants something measured. The Pro Circuit silencer was key to this as well because of the way they build their mounts. It was super easy to change. It would be really tough to do with an FMF.

Here are the upper spacers after shortening the top rails, I know it could be done better.

Silencer mounting. The front mount tab was cut off from the front of the subframe and moved back for the silencer. The rear tab was existing for the RMZ and the silencer mount was modified to reach it.

Last but not Least, I had to run a intake spacer for the air boot to reach correctly. Thankfully I already had it on the bike previous and its not a unwanted change.

Here are some more pictures of the bike. I would say its 99% done, Just a couple more things to bolt on tonight and then time to break her in. (if the rain holds off today)

6/13/2018 3:51pm
Build is weak and the rider is even weaker. Kidding lol. She’s a beaut man can’t wait to see it this weekend
agcarlson
6/15/2018 3:41am
Build is weak and the rider is even weaker. Kidding lol. She’s a beaut man can’t wait to see it this weekend
Dude your not kidding, wait till you see this thing tomorrow, its clapped out garbage. Silly
mwssquad827
6/15/2018 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2018 8:32pm
agcarlson wrote:
Thanks for the love guys. The subframe was actually very easy to do, maybe I will do a write up. Got a busy weekend ahead of...
Thanks for the love guys. The subframe was actually very easy to do, maybe I will do a write up. Got a busy weekend ahead of me but I rode it for the first time today just around the yard and I'm super pumped!
Please do a write up with measurements!! I love how people are getting into the RM’s..
agcarlson
6/19/2018 11:11am
agcarlson wrote:
Thanks for the love guys. The subframe was actually very easy to do, maybe I will do a write up. Got a busy weekend ahead of...
Please do a write up with measurements!! I love how people are getting into the RM’s..
the few pics and details I posted will most likely be it. If you would like specific measurements of something I can measure for you.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
6/28/2018 12:38pm
That thing is tits!!!! Nice work.
adam8781
7/11/2018 12:27am
whats the purpose of the huge reed spacer?
Stevehrc
7/11/2018 1:30am
adam8781 wrote:
To fit the sub frames my guess?
agcarlson
7/11/2018 3:52am
adam8781 wrote:
Its helps with bottom end torque. I actually had it on the bike before i did the subframe but if you would have read the caption thats right above the photo you would have known that. Whistling
adam8781
7/11/2018 1:35pm
adam8781 wrote:
agcarlson wrote:
Its helps with bottom end torque. I actually had it on the bike before i did the subframe but if you would have read the caption...
Its helps with bottom end torque. I actually had it on the bike before i did the subframe but if you would have read the caption thats right above the photo you would have known that. Whistling
you said you had it on already before the build but not why you did it lol. ive messed with spacers on yz250s and rm250s never seen one that big before, i would imagine adding that much crankcase volume would mke the bottom end tractable but lazy.
agcarlson
7/12/2018 4:00am
adam8781 wrote:
you said you had it on already before the build but not why you did it lol. ive messed with spacers on yz250s and rm250s never...
you said you had it on already before the build but not why you did it lol. ive messed with spacers on yz250s and rm250s never seen one that big before, i would imagine adding that much crankcase volume would mke the bottom end tractable but lazy.
I honestly have only ever ran the spacer on the stock RM. I have no experience on it with other 2 strokes but I can promise you it is far from lazy haha. In all honesty I really didnt notice much of a difference at all. Everything is stock on the bike except the pipe/silencer, CP race piston, and the spacer. I run stock jets and VP C12 mixed 32:1 with Amsoil Dominator and its by far the best running bike I have ever owned. I did put maybe an extra 1/4 turn in the power valve but thats about it.
adam8781
8/1/2018 12:27am
adam8781 wrote:
you said you had it on already before the build but not why you did it lol. ive messed with spacers on yz250s and rm250s never...
agcarlson wrote:
I honestly have only ever ran the spacer on the stock RM. I have no experience on it with other 2 strokes but I can promise...
I honestly have only ever ran the spacer on the stock RM. I have no experience on it with other 2 strokes but I can promise you it is far from lazy haha. In all honesty I really didnt notice much of a difference at all. Everything is stock on the bike except the pipe/silencer, CP race piston, and the spacer. I run stock jets and VP C12 mixed 32:1 with Amsoil Dominator and its by far the best running bike I have ever owned. I did put maybe an extra 1/4 turn in the power valve but thats about it.
awesone man, i had an 05, full varner built motor c12 only. never came across a spacer that size before.

ive been drooling at building a rm250, selling my 05 back in the day was the worst thing i ever did. i lovw my built yz250 and im doing my rmz450 from frame up as we speak. need rm250 in my life again!

Drop-Bear
7/27/2019 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 5:53am
Put a Lectron, or Smart Carb on it, and you won't need the spacer for the airboot. (Edit), and a V-Force V3 reed block.

Bike looks awesome. Nice job!
Drop-Bear
7/31/2019 5:37am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 5:39am
Took a pic of my 125 today, so thought I'd might as well post it here. The sub frame I used was already lowered 7mm by the factory.

Post a reply to: 08 RM250 With RMZ Subframe

The Latest