*DONE* FasterUSA/Dirt Bike Mag YZ125

FiendzCC
1/23/2018 4:05pm
The folks over at ODI giving us something to hang on to with their Podium Flight bars and half waffle grips.

ledger
1/23/2018 4:20pm
Great choice on plastics, and knowing your'e putting fresh fuel in a new tank is a bonus also. Few questions....Did glass blasting harm the brass on the carb or did you remove those part's ?....and what size fuel line do you suggest ? Thanks in advance. Oh, bike is looking great.
FiendzCC
1/23/2018 4:29pm
Got the tank and shrouds mounted. This bike has some shape to it now!

Colin mounting up the exhaust. Pro Circuit got us dialed in with their works pipe. With how busy this bike is, this should tie it together and balance out the appearance of the bike a bit.

Buuuut you know we had to go with something flashy for the silencer Wink

Titanium 2 Shorty about to have this bike screaming.

I like the way it looks with the Rtech airbox panels.

Now just waiting for levers and a couple of other small things.

yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/23/2018 4:55pm
Sweet, any thought of putting the '10-13 YZ250F swingarm on to clean up the look and loose some additional weight?

The Shop

FiendzCC
1/25/2018 9:05am
ledger wrote:
Great choice on plastics, and knowing your'e putting fresh fuel in a new tank is a bonus also. Few questions....Did glass blasting harm the brass on...
Great choice on plastics, and knowing your'e putting fresh fuel in a new tank is a bonus also. Few questions....Did glass blasting harm the brass on the carb or did you remove those part's ?....and what size fuel line do you suggest ? Thanks in advance. Oh, bike is looking great.
Thank you very much, the brass pieces were all taped off prior to blasting. As long as you're not a complete idiot with the gun, it works just fine. 1/8" vent line, 3/16" fuel line both from Helix Racing Products. Made in USA.
FiendzCC
1/25/2018 9:21am
yak651 wrote:
Sweet, any thought of putting the '10-13 YZ250F swingarm on to clean up the look and loose some additional weight?
We wouldn't have done what we did to the stock swingarm if we were going to change it out haha. I know that people do that mod on the two strokes, but I just don't really see the point. Personally, I don't care for the look of the 4T swingarm on the 2T. I can't remember what the weight savings are, but a 125 is so light to begin with I just can't justify trying to save a whole lot of weight. That may sound contradictory considering we have some carbon fiber bits on this bike, but those are really just for looks. Although I gotta say, that silencer is feather light Cool
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
1/25/2018 11:36am
I like the Rtech shrouds, been looking at them for a while because I hate scratching the tank instead of shrouds. I just wish they covered the lower part of the radiator better, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe a next generation redesign. Or even better yamaha will do this from the factory.
Don't like their airbox and side panel. Prefer the 15+ oem. Very similar but small differences.
Bike is coming along nice, any sneak peak at graphics?
FiendzCC
1/25/2018 12:28pm
I like the Rtech shrouds, been looking at them for a while because I hate scratching the tank instead of shrouds. I just wish they covered...
I like the Rtech shrouds, been looking at them for a while because I hate scratching the tank instead of shrouds. I just wish they covered the lower part of the radiator better, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe a next generation redesign. Or even better yamaha will do this from the factory.
Don't like their airbox and side panel. Prefer the 15+ oem. Very similar but small differences.
Bike is coming along nice, any sneak peak at graphics?
I feel you. I do love the look of just a clean stock bike, how everything was meant to be, how the Japanese envisioned it.

And I wish I had something to give you a little preview on the graphics, I just don't have much info on that at this time. I'm not sure who's doing the graphics just yet, should know more soon.
FiendzCC
1/27/2018 11:32am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 9:17am
First fire up:
captmoto
1/27/2018 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 11:14pm
Why the Mikuni on the bike? Doesn't the 125 come with a Keihin?
LumpDog841
1/28/2018 6:56am
captmoto wrote:
Why the Mikuni on the bike? Doesn't the 125 come with a Keihin?
YZ125, come with Mikuni stock.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
1/28/2018 4:52pm
Did you blast the engine cases while they were apart? Or was blasting done to the entire engine while the cases were sealed with all holes plugged? I think a few people, myself included, are wondering if we can abrasive blast an engine without taking it all apart.

Excellent work. You're inspiring me to do my own Cerakoting. Looking at blast cabinets and ovens now...
FiendzCC
1/29/2018 9:16am
pCp 252 wrote:
Did you blast the engine cases while they were apart? Or was blasting done to the entire engine while the cases were sealed with all holes...
Did you blast the engine cases while they were apart? Or was blasting done to the entire engine while the cases were sealed with all holes plugged? I think a few people, myself included, are wondering if we can abrasive blast an engine without taking it all apart.

Excellent work. You're inspiring me to do my own Cerakoting. Looking at blast cabinets and ovens now...
We did majority of it in the blast cabinet when it was still put together, before anything was split, and then when it was rebuilt we just used a scotch brite pad on a couple of the trickier areas. You can absolutely abrasive blast the engine, but definitely tape and plug everything off first.

Thanks man, having a Cerakote setup definitely comes in handy. The blast cabinet alone you'll find yourself using constantly. You can mess around with different materials to achieve different finishes. You can even get away with blasting rubber hoses clean if you're careful enough with a fine grit haha
FiendzCC
1/29/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 12:02pm
Got the grip tape from JJW Designs on and protecting our frame. The folks over at Wiseco got us running with a Made in USA piston that we're about to test run once the brake components are mounted up.

Setting up the front brake. We have levers on the way, but we're just using the stock stuff in the meantime to make sure everything works properly.

If you're bleeding brakes, Autozone will rent you this pump for $50. It makes your life a lot easier and saves you a lot of time. Take it back when you're done and get your money back.

ProX air filter oiled and tacky.

Mounted up the old seat that came on the bike just for the test ride. We're loving the way it sits flush with the rear fender and tank.

Colin letting metals expand before really opening it up. For legal reasons, I have no video of said alleged test ride and I personally may or may not have just taken it for a spin down the road... All I can say is I think I heard the last car alarm finally quit beeping!

She bogs a bit down low, but when that powerband does hit, the front wheel comes right up. It absolutely screams. We're going to re-jet tomorrow or wednesday and will update you guys as we come to a very near finishing point on this build.

FiendzCC
1/31/2018 2:20pm
We went from a 40 to a 35 pilot, moved the needle from the 4th position to 3rd, and closed the air screw from 2.25 turns to 1.75 turns. This is a cold start up, no significant revving until just before the 1:30 minute mark. What do you guys think of the Pro Circuit sound?

ledger
1/31/2018 3:48pm
^^ Crisp, that's a good thing.
YamahaJT1
1/31/2018 4:42pm
Just got off the blower with Colin at FasterUSA... Ordered a spiffy new wheel set/rubber for my 07' CR125 build. Good dude, great service! They will build what you want. Just ask.

Hell, I am OCD as heck, but no match for this build! Sweetness abounds!
FortyHat
1/31/2018 7:11pm
Are those black fork protector guides available to the general public? I have an 06 YZ125 with the older white guides and they have always bugged me. At some point they removed the guides entirely, my 16 YZ250 doesn't have them at all.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/1/2018 5:13am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 5:33am
FortyHat wrote:
Are those black fork protector guides available to the general public? I have an 06 YZ125 with the older white guides and they have always bugged...
Are those black fork protector guides available to the general public? I have an 06 YZ125 with the older white guides and they have always bugged me. At some point they removed the guides entirely, my 16 YZ250 doesn't have them at all.
Interested too, my yz didn't have the rings on the forks when I bought it. Cant find them anywhere, plus those look more like A-kit pieces.

Fortyhat, if you can't get those you can dye your white ones. Check out my build or JWACK build for how to.

Found these:
http://www.shop-technical-touch.com/documents/catalog/000_2e0379.xml?op…
TJMX947
2/1/2018 6:26am
That thing sounds almost 250-esque upon initial crack. Love it. Gets my blood flowing.

Takes me back to my first two seasons racing (which were some of my favorite memories). My first 250F sentenced me to a bike payment which I didn't shed for 7 years buying bike after the next bike. There is something to be said about these old trusty two strokes.
FiendzCC
2/1/2018 8:15am
FortyHat wrote:
Are those black fork protector guides available to the general public? I have an 06 YZ125 with the older white guides and they have always bugged...
@FortyHat & @Zesiger

We got them through Mike over at Exxtreme MX. Really cleans up the look of the front end.

www.exxtrememx.com/
FiendzCC
2/1/2018 8:26am
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Just got off the blower with Colin at FasterUSA... Ordered a spiffy new wheel set/rubber for my 07' CR125 build. Good dude, great service! They will...
Just got off the blower with Colin at FasterUSA... Ordered a spiffy new wheel set/rubber for my 07' CR125 build. Good dude, great service! They will build what you want. Just ask.

Hell, I am OCD as heck, but no match for this build! Sweetness abounds!
Awesome, we're building that up this morning actually. I had that exact color setup on an '09 CRF250R I had a while back. Should stay looking good for a long time. Thanks for your business!
FiendzCC
2/1/2018 8:28am
ledger wrote:
^^ Crisp, that's a good thing.
Thank you! Going to have to get some video of it when it hits the dirt for some real sound.
FiendzCC
2/1/2018 8:40am
TJMX947 wrote:
That thing sounds almost 250-esque upon initial crack. Love it. Gets my blood flowing. Takes me back to my first two seasons racing (which were some...
That thing sounds almost 250-esque upon initial crack. Love it. Gets my blood flowing.

Takes me back to my first two seasons racing (which were some of my favorite memories). My first 250F sentenced me to a bike payment which I didn't shed for 7 years buying bike after the next bike. There is something to be said about these old trusty two strokes.
Thank you, that's pretty much the direction we were trying to go with this build, trying to show that you don't need to start with the latest and greatest to have a cool bike. I completely feel you on the mistake that is financing a four stroke that isn't worth anything when you go to eventually sell it. Done it before, never again. This is how I plan on buying all of my bikes in the future, and although that doesn't help dealers much in the new bike sales department, I'll let someone else "speak with their wallet". I've done it plenty of times, and it's not worth it for a young guy like me haha. Old two strokes allow you to spend money on more cool stuff for your bike, in turn supporting small independent businesses Cool
FortyHat
2/1/2018 9:47am
FiendzCC wrote:
@FortyHat & @Zesiger

We got them through Mike over at Exxtreme MX. Really cleans up the look of the front end.

www.exxtrememx.com/
Thanks!

Really impressive build, glad you opted to not go the standard route and did things a bit different. Killer, been fun to watch.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
2/2/2018 3:43am
Things beautiful man! Good job
FiendzCC
2/8/2018 11:14am
ARC sent over a set of unbreakable brake and clutch levers to give us more durable and better feeling controls than the old worn out components that came on the bike.

The levers are forged, the rest is machined. We also like that they add a roller bearing to the brake knuckle.

Think this should clean it up a bit Cool

Graphics and a seat, that's all we're waiting on now guys!

FiendzCC
3/20/2018 2:01pm
Excuse me while I dust the cobwebs off of this thread, but the final pieces to this puzzle have just arrived!

Post a reply to: *DONE* FasterUSA/Dirt Bike Mag YZ125

The Latest