’05 CR250 winter refresh | Finished-Photo update! |

Sandvik74
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 6:35pm
Hey guys, tought i might share my project for the winter since people seem to enjoy the good old days 2 strokes.

I live in Finland and since the weather is so cold and got lots of snow so i was thinking i might aswell get the bike fresh and ready for next summer.

Here are a few pics of the bike from last spring

Won’t do anything crazy this winter since im a little low on money right now, just get everything clean and fresh again.

My plans for right now:
- Clean frame and swingarm real good
- Grind off the casting marks off the linkage and shine it ut, new bearing
- Every bering new framewise
- New chainslider and chainguide
- new rear brakeline
- New shift and brake pedal
- New seatfoam and seatcover
- Fresh plastics and grafics
- New radiator hoses wich are one piece in the Y-coupler.
- Service the suspension
- complete engine rebuild with new crank, all bearings and top end, maybe all new bolts to the engine aswell
- Open up the wiring harness to check all wires are good and make new isolation.
- Sand blast front and rear hub and grind of casting marks to make them look better, new spokes and nipples.
- Take the dings out of the pipe and refurbish

To my wishlist i would like a CMT carbon tank 😂

If anyone have any good tips and trix engine or chassie wise to improve the old smoker let me hear them!

Started teraring it down to the frame today, going to start with cleaning the frame and swingarm!

|
FarleyMX25
1/2/2022 9:55am
If you don’t have access to vapor blasting, aluminum brightener is a good alternative. Sweet ride!
Sandvik74
1/2/2022 10:04am
Unfortunately no one near in my are has a vapor blaster i know of, would love to get the engine cases as well vapor blasted and ceracoted, but maybe next winter!

Thanks for the tip! Im going to pick up some aluminium brightener and test it out!

Thank you!
1/2/2022 10:50am
You've got a really nice-looking, well set up bike to start with. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Sandvik74
1/2/2022 10:58am
Thank you! Trying to make it better piece by piece when the money allows me to! But pretty happy with it so far.

If anyone have a devol lowering link for this bike then hit me up! They ride pretty high in the rear and feel stink bug. Talked to them at devol but they are not shipping outside the U.S and can’t find any in europe who sells them..

The Shop

Sandvik74
1/8/2022 6:10am
Been hella busy during the week and haven’t had any time to work on the bike.

But today i got a few hours starting scrubbing the frame, used scotch pad and WD-40. Not the result i wanted but about as good as you can get it without vapor blasting. Really difficult getting everywere with the scotchpad because the frame got so many kinks and welds where its hard to reach in to properly..

Might but a little bit more time on it but not too much since it’s anyway getting pretty nasty after 1 ride whem the boots are grinding the frame.

Anyway here are some pics of the frame so far.

Before

After.

Going to try to get started on the subframe and swingarm this weekend aswell.
Sandvik74
1/14/2022 11:48am
Nothing really interesting has happened this week, opened up the wiring harness and checked all the wires and cleaned it up, going tu buy some new isolation and wrap it in again.

And also started on the linkage today.

And i’ve been thinking back and fort for a year now about the CMT composit carbon fuel tank and finally pulled the trigger and ordered it home.

Most people are spending 10k on a new dirtbike every year and i have a 17 year old bike so i tought i can treat myself this one even if it’s pretty expensive and unnecessary, but think it will be the icing on the cake. It should arrive in about two weeks.

1/14/2022 1:24pm
Smart to go check all the wires . Get a new coil there cheap bike should b a little snapper. Nice score on the tank. I saw a all original 05 cr250 on fb last week for 7k. On yt the hrc method for the rc valve. I set my 04 cr125 with it, runs great.
Sandvik74
1/14/2022 1:31pm
Smart to go check all the wires . Get a new coil there cheap bike should b a little snapper. Nice score on the tank. I...
Smart to go check all the wires . Get a new coil there cheap bike should b a little snapper. Nice score on the tank. I saw a all original 05 cr250 on fb last week for 7k. On yt the hrc method for the rc valve. I set my 04 cr125 with it, runs great.
Yeah i’d tought that too, then you have a little piece of mind the bike won’t get any electrical failure on the face of a jump.

Was thinking about replacing the coil for a fresh one since they go for pocket money!

What exactly is the hrc method on the rc valve? Never seen that.
JMCR250
1/14/2022 2:41pm
Smart to go check all the wires . Get a new coil there cheap bike should b a little snapper. Nice score on the tank. I...
Sandvik74 wrote:
Yeah i’d tought that too, then you have a little piece of mind the bike won’t get any electrical failure on the face of a jump...
Yeah i’d tought that too, then you have a little piece of mind the bike won’t get any electrical failure on the face of a jump.

Was thinking about replacing the coil for a fresh one since they go for pocket money!

What exactly is the hrc method on the rc valve? Never seen that.
There's a YT video on it -- search Honda CR 250 RC Valve Adjustment. Essentially, you are using a dowel or something similar to be able to tell when the RC valve is at maximum opening then set the cables at the proper tension/adjustment to ensure the RC valve is fully closed at low RPM and fully open at high RPM. It works!
1/14/2022 9:30pm
I used a 13mm socket with black tape to keep it in the exhaust port. That is on a 04 125, didn’t hv a paint stick.
Sandvik74
1/15/2022 12:34am
Oh, that is in fact the video i have looked at a long time ago and set my RC valve the same way, just forgot it was the HRC way 😂

I have ordered two right side cables so i can delete the spring system for the rc valve and looks much cleaner. Saw it on mr. Blackdiamonds build on his honda for MXA and thought i will give it a shot too since it looked so much cleaner!
JMCR250
1/15/2022 7:13am
I tried that when the front cable was temporarily unavailable. The bike seemed a bit off with that setup. Watching the video above, it seems that the spring on the front cable actually does serve a function (contrary to what some have opined). So last time I refreshed the top end, I returned to the stock front cable and used this adjustment method, and the bike seemed noticeably stronger from bottom to top.
Sandvik74
1/15/2022 7:41am
Okay thank you! Yeah have been thinking about it that it serves a purpouse, the spring probably helps closing the valve faster, the servo motor probably dosen’t close it fast enough by it’s own movement.

But since i have the cable im gonna bring both to the track at spring when the tracks open again and try both options back to back to really feel the difference. It’s a easy swap at the trackside anyways to test it out.
Sandvik74
1/16/2022 5:38am
Got everything wire wise opened, checked, cleaned, new protection and taped back together.

Lot’s of parts have been ordered and are on the way.

Sandvik74
1/24/2022 7:08am
FINALLY some parts dropped in today, ridicolous the shipping time is these days..

The finish and quality on the fuel tank is absolutely amazing, 100% recommend their products!
Sandvik74
1/27/2022 10:43am
Here is a quick little good to know for you Honda people with the gen3 frame 02-07. My stock footpeg brackets had seen it’s best days, the pinholes wich hold the footpeg was worn out of shape, had a set of CRF450 2015 footpeg brackets at work so i took them home and tried them. Turns out they are a direkt fit on the CR250 and have the mudguard on the bracket also.

Sandvik74
1/29/2022 7:37am
Got sick of the scotch pad cleaning since it dosen’t give the reslut i want, so went and picked up a small blasting cabinet and some soda and glass media. Made life so much easier..

mxracer666
1/29/2022 11:59am
Get some 3M gray rubbery grip tape to put on the frame, under where the radiator shrouds rub on the frame. It keeps the plastic from vibrating a groove into the aluminum frame! Once you are doing the final assembly, put the shrouds on and use a sharp pencil to draw a line on the frame to mark where the shroud sits. Let it overlap past the plastic a few millimeters - it's gray so you won't see it. Hate it when people just let the shroud eat away at the frame! Nice build!
Sandvik74
1/29/2022 12:05pm
mxracer666 wrote:
Get some 3M gray rubbery grip tape to put on the frame, under where the radiator shrouds rub on the frame. It keeps the plastic from...
Get some 3M gray rubbery grip tape to put on the frame, under where the radiator shrouds rub on the frame. It keeps the plastic from vibrating a groove into the aluminum frame! Once you are doing the final assembly, put the shrouds on and use a sharp pencil to draw a line on the frame to mark where the shroud sits. Let it overlap past the plastic a few millimeters - it's gray so you won't see it. Hate it when people just let the shroud eat away at the frame! Nice build!
Yeah i know, looks absolutely awful! Was planning on doing that, also on the inside of the frame where the fuel tank hits the frame, and also to protect the fuel tank since i don’t want the carbon to get scratched and ugly.

Thank you!
1/29/2022 6:26pm
Sandvik74 wrote:
These dropped in today 😎 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/20/529442/s1200_A27946CF_BB0F_425A_8C8B_EE2361130258.jpg[/img]
These dropped in today 😎

They make them for cr125 too ? Don’t forget to give us a test report. I hv 1 set of rg3 top clamps left. A higher and more forward clamp. The others where stolen along with bikes. So I need the top t clamp for a practice bike yet.
Sandvik74
1/29/2022 11:57pm
Sandvik74 wrote:
These dropped in today 😎 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/20/529442/s1200_A27946CF_BB0F_425A_8C8B_EE2361130258.jpg[/img]
These dropped in today 😎

They make them for cr125 too ? Don’t forget to give us a test report. I hv 1 set of rg3 top clamps left. A higher...
They make them for cr125 too ? Don’t forget to give us a test report. I hv 1 set of rg3 top clamps left. A higher and more forward clamp. The others where stolen along with bikes. So I need the top t clamp for a practice bike yet.
They don’t make them model specific for the two stroke hondas. These are for a CRF250 2014–> and 450 2013->

You only need to replace the stearing head stem bearings to you’r model bike and then they fit, so you can fit then on a 125 too. BUT these clamps are larger diameter where the forks clamp, so the stock CR125/250 47mm showa wont fit. You have to have a set of 48mm forks.
1/30/2022 5:56am
Oh ok I need 48mm forks. How much better r the Ohlins forks ? Your shock is it Ohlins also ? I would like to find a Ohlins shock for my 04 125. Then I would hv 2 shocks for my practice bike. A 05 125 engine is going in my 04. I hv the 05 forks for the 04 also then, the axle on them is set back more.
Sandvik74
1/30/2022 6:17am
I like the ohlins stuff, fork is plush but still have better bottoming resistance compared to most stock forks.
Yes rear shock is also ohlins, but its a very old one and didn’t really like it, changed to the showa shock for now and going to install gold valves in that meanwhile trying to find a Ohlins TTX rear shock.

But everyone has different taste in suspension, i like the plush stuff and others like them more ridgid feeling.
Sandvik74
1/30/2022 9:58am
Installed a new seat cover, not sure if i like it.. but i’ll run it for now, wear out pretty fast anyway..

Sandvik74
2/1/2022 12:25am
This package just dropped in, going do to engine,rear shock and the gold is for my Ohlins fork since the coating on them are in very bad shape.

Post a reply to: ’05 CR250 winter refresh | Finished-Photo update! |

The Latest