04 RM125 build for the rest of us...done

BAMX
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 12:11pm
The idea of this build is to get a nice bike which I can race some enduros with. The other idea is to do it economically. I would like to stay around $1000 total. I don't have anything against the bling or A kits of some other builds but it isn't in my budget and I want to race this and not worry about scratching my show bike. The idea for this came up a couple of months ago but really cheap bikes are few and far between around here. As luck would have it, someone listed a 04 RM125 in need of some work for $650 on Craigslist last weekend. After checking it out, we agreed on $550 and the project has begun.

The good:
good price, overall not too beat up, has title, has all of the parts

The Bad:
Blown crank, overall really dirty and just neglected, in need of a bunch of small stuff. bike was taken apart before it was cleaned.

Here is what I am starting with. The motor and the rest of the parts are in that blue tub.

|
BAMX
11/29/2016 8:37pm
garagedog wrote:
Good find!
Yah...I haven't seen one that cheap in a while. So far, I have just been cleaning, cataloging parts needed and searching out prices. Today I was able to get the cases cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/29/2016 9:30pm
Sweet job on the case! I did an RM over a few years ago. Bought it for a 1000 and it blew the bottom end 3 laps into riding haha.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
11/30/2016 12:47am
Great find! Can't beat an RM125

51 tooth rear sprocket and a V-Force go a long way on these bikes, helps awaken the low end.
HGS pipes are very good on these bikes if a new pipe is on the shopping list

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/30/2016 7:32am
BAMX wrote:
The idea of this build is to get a nice bike which I can race some enduros with. The other idea is to do it economically...
The idea of this build is to get a nice bike which I can race some enduros with. The other idea is to do it economically. I would like to stay around $1000 total. I don't have anything against the bling or A kits of some other builds but it isn't in my budget and I want to race this and not worry about scratching my show bike. The idea for this came up a couple of months ago but really cheap bikes are few and far between around here. As luck would have it, someone listed a 04 RM125 in need of some work for $650 on Craigslist last weekend. After checking it out, we agreed on $550 and the project has begun.

The good:
good price, overall not too beat up, has title, has all of the parts

The Bad:
Blown crank, overall really dirty and just neglected, in need of a bunch of small stuff. bike was taken apart before it was cleaned.

Here is what I am starting with. The motor and the rest of the parts are in that blue tub.

You picked that up from upland didn't you??

I was first in line to get it until the wife ended that haha
BAMX
11/30/2016 7:51am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

That's the one.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/30/2016 7:58am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

BAMX wrote:
That's the one.
Dammit!!! You lucky bastard! Lol. I'm watching this thread closely to see what could have been Sad

Glad I get to see what it turns into. What did you end up getting it for?
BAMX
11/30/2016 7:59am
RussB wrote:
Great find! Can't beat an RM125 51 tooth rear sprocket and a V-Force go a long way on these bikes, helps awaken the low end. HGS...
Great find! Can't beat an RM125

51 tooth rear sprocket and a V-Force go a long way on these bikes, helps awaken the low end.
HGS pipes are very good on these bikes if a new pipe is on the shopping list
I lucked out and it came with V Force 2. For the pipe, I found a Pro Circuit Platinum with a couple of small dents (I will be removing them with some dent removal tools that I made) for $75 on Ebay. Since I will be racing some D37 enduro's, it needs a spark arrestor. I found an FMF Turbine core 2 with a dented end cap for $60 on Ebay. Hopefully, I can remove the dent. If not, I will get a replacement cap.
BAMX
11/30/2016 8:07am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

BAMX wrote:
That's the one.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dammit!!! You lucky bastard! Lol. I'm watching this thread closely to see what could have been :( Glad I get to see what it turns into...
Dammit!!! You lucky bastard! Lol. I'm watching this thread closely to see what could have been Sad

I ended up getting it for $550 It is in overall good shape less that bottom end. Luckily, the cylinder and head didn't suffer any damage from that failure. The bike is kind of a weird deal. It isn't abused (meaning that it isn't all pitted up and hammered) but, it is one of those bikes that looks like it was mainly rinsed off when it was washed. There is a lot of filth and the castings are pretty stained. The ultrasonic cleaner has been going full blast for the last couple of days. I will post some pics today of the parts that have been cleaned up
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/30/2016 11:21am
BAMX wrote:
That's the one.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dammit!!! You lucky bastard! Lol. I'm watching this thread closely to see what could have been :( Glad I get to see what it turns into...

BAMX wrote:
I ended up getting it for $550 It is in overall good shape less that bottom end. Luckily, the cylinder and head didn't suffer any damage...
I ended up getting it for $550 It is in overall good shape less that bottom end. Luckily, the cylinder and head didn't suffer any damage from that failure. The bike is kind of a weird deal. It isn't abused (meaning that it isn't all pitted up and hammered) but, it is one of those bikes that looks like it was mainly rinsed off when it was washed. There is a lot of filth and the castings are pretty stained. The ultrasonic cleaner has been going full blast for the last couple of days. I will post some pics today of the parts that have been cleaned up
$550 is a score man. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Keep us updated with pics as much as possible.
11/30/2016 1:26pm
It's great seeing bikes brought back from the dead. This is gonna be cool
11/30/2016 4:54pm
garagedog wrote:
Good find!
BAMX wrote:
Yah...I haven't seen one that cheap in a while. So far, I have just been cleaning, cataloging parts needed and searching out prices. Today I was...
Yah...I haven't seen one that cheap in a while. So far, I have just been cleaning, cataloging parts needed and searching out prices. Today I was able to get the cases cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

What method did you use to get those cases looking so good?! I have mine all torn down right now and can't decide on an approach.
BAMX
11/30/2016 8:19pm
What method did you use to get those cases looking so good?! I have mine all torn down right now and can't decide on an approach.
I bead blasted them. First, I heated the cases in the shop oven to 300 F and let all of the bearings that were willing drop out. I had a few stubborn ones so, I cleaned around them with acetone and then used gaffers tape to mask. It worked well and the tape even stayed on through the parts washer rinsing.
BAMX
11/30/2016 8:25pm
Today was more cleaning and disassembly. The bike is now down to just the frame, forks and front wheel. Here is the before and after of the radiators. It may be a bit hard to see but they started out really stained by dirt. After a number of applications of Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner (etching type), they look new.

12/1/2016 3:53am
Looking great. Thank you for the response. I've been going through my YZ250 a little here and a little there for forever and a day (been riding a 250F during), and I'm just trying to do everything right. I actually just baked out my main bearings over the weekend. I thought yours looked a little different than the bead blast finishes I've seen. Are you anodizing them or anything else?
BAMX
12/1/2016 8:09am
Looking great. Thank you for the response. I've been going through my YZ250 a little here and a little there for forever and a day (been...
Looking great. Thank you for the response. I've been going through my YZ250 a little here and a little there for forever and a day (been riding a 250F during), and I'm just trying to do everything right. I actually just baked out my main bearings over the weekend. I thought yours looked a little different than the bead blast finishes I've seen. Are you anodizing them or anything else?
I haven't totally decided yet but I am leaning towards just leaving the cases the way that they are. The glass bead I used has been in the cabinet for a really long time so, it is really fine. That left the finish pretty smooth. My only worry is that it will now want to stain more easily. I may take a scotch-brite pad and smooth them down some more.
12/1/2016 9:23am
I'm not sure what type of shop you work in, but I'm at an aerospace tooling shop and we have this mold-release clear coat stuff called Frekote. I blasted my swingarm last year and DA-ed some of the surfaces then coated it with that. I love how it turned out and I've had zero staining since. May be worth looking into for your cases.
BAMX
12/1/2016 10:50am
I'm not sure what type of shop you work in, but I'm at an aerospace tooling shop and we have this mold-release clear coat stuff called...
I'm not sure what type of shop you work in, but I'm at an aerospace tooling shop and we have this mold-release clear coat stuff called Frekote. I blasted my swingarm last year and DA-ed some of the surfaces then coated it with that. I love how it turned out and I've had zero staining since. May be worth looking into for your cases.
We have some mold release but not that particular type. It looks interesting and doesn't seem very expensive. Does it wash off? Or, is it more like a paint?
12/1/2016 11:09am
BAMX wrote:
We have some mold release but not that particular type. It looks interesting and doesn't seem very expensive. Does it wash off? Or, is it more...
We have some mold release but not that particular type. It looks interesting and doesn't seem very expensive. Does it wash off? Or, is it more like a paint?
It shouldn't wash off, at least without you really wanting it to. It doesn't sit on top like a paint, but I believe it actually permeates the aluminum. I can tell you in the one year of riding and washing my bike it looks like I just finished it. I'm not an expert on the tool-maker stuff or any chemicals, just a machinist and programmer. Just wear gloves and a respirator if you apply it! The stuff I used smells like instant cancer.
BAMX
12/1/2016 11:12am
BAMX wrote:
We have some mold release but not that particular type. It looks interesting and doesn't seem very expensive. Does it wash off? Or, is it more...
It shouldn't wash off, at least without you really wanting it to. It doesn't sit on top like a paint, but I believe it actually permeates...
It shouldn't wash off, at least without you really wanting it to. It doesn't sit on top like a paint, but I believe it actually permeates the aluminum. I can tell you in the one year of riding and washing my bike it looks like I just finished it. I'm not an expert on the tool-maker stuff or any chemicals, just a machinist and programmer. Just wear gloves and a respirator if you apply it! The stuff I used smells like instant cancer.
Nice...thanks for the info and the warning on the respirator. I think that I will spray on a coat before I put it back together. I found a spray can version on Ebay for $12 with free shipping. It can't hurt and like I said, I am a bit worried about staining now that I opened up the pores with the glass bead.
BAMX
12/2/2016 9:33pm
The last few days, there has been a bunch more cleaning and a few of the new parts have started to show up. Per normal, there were a few unwanted surprises. The steering and linkage bearings were junk, the carb slide was broken and I found a crack in the frame.

The clutch was too grooved to be used so, I did a little Ebay shopping and found one for $105. I had never heard of Surflex but it was made in Italy and the price was right.

Install was the usual and everything went smoothly.

My friend was able to get the crack welded up. Although, it was a pain in the ass as there was some kind of contamination either in the tube or in the crack along the motor mount. The contaminant had the weld doing all sorts of weird stuff. Regardless, he finally made it happen . The welding allowed me to finally get a coat of paint on the frame. That was nice as it marked the turning point to where parts are going on instead of coming off.

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2903rd
12/3/2016 1:16pm
BAMX wrote:
Today was more cleaning and disassembly. The bike is now down to just the frame, forks and front wheel. Here is the before and after of...
Today was more cleaning and disassembly. The bike is now down to just the frame, forks and front wheel. Here is the before and after of the radiators. It may be a bit hard to see but they started out really stained by dirt. After a number of applications of Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner (etching type), they look new.

Great find and good work so far, how did you straighten out all the fins on the radiator? they literally do look like new!
BAMX
12/3/2016 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2016 3:24pm
BAMX wrote:
Today was more cleaning and disassembly. The bike is now down to just the frame, forks and front wheel. Here is the before and after of...

Cliffy615 wrote:
Great find and good work so far, how did you straighten out all the fins on the radiator? they literally do look like new!
I actually didn't straighten. I just cleaned them with the Eagle One etching wheel cleaner. It looks like the first pic is shot from the roost side and the second clean shot is from the nicer back side. Luckily, those bad fins will cover with the radiator louvers. That cleaner is magic on all of the bare aluminum parts. It turns all of that dingy stained aluminum into new.

I have had some luck in the past by straightening the fins with a scribe tool. I am talking about the kind that looks like a pick and has a straight point and a 90 degree point. Essentially, I stuck the straight point in until it was the right width on the wider side of the V. Then, I pulled towards the skinny side and pulled up as I went. That was time consuming but made a nice V which looked close to stock. Some fins were too waffled to be perfect but that method was a lot better than straightening with a small screwdriver.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3189th
12/3/2016 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2016 7:48pm
garagedog wrote:
Good find!
BAMX wrote:
Yah...I haven't seen one that cheap in a while. So far, I have just been cleaning, cataloging parts needed and searching out prices. Today I was...

What'd you use to clean the cases?

Edit: just saw. Will be watching your thread closely as I just got one as well!
PRM31
12/4/2016 6:44am
Great advice on the mag cleaner!

I recently rebuilt a 2005 RM125. I had Eric Gorr go over the engine and rebuild into a 144. I think the added low and mid power would really help for enduro riding.
BAMX
12/4/2016 9:53am
PRM31 wrote:
Great advice on the mag cleaner! I recently rebuilt a 2005 RM125. I had Eric Gorr go over the engine and rebuild into a 144. I...
Great advice on the mag cleaner!

I recently rebuilt a 2005 RM125. I had Eric Gorr go over the engine and rebuild into a 144. I think the added low and mid power would really help for enduro riding.
I have found that it works better if applied to a dry part. Plus, it helps if you apply and then use a sponge/scotch-brite to help with the removal of heavy deposits. Plus that saves cleaner which at $8 a bottle is a good thing. I have been spraying it and and letting it sit for a few seconds. Then cleaning what I can with one of those sponges that has the mild scotch-brite glued to the regular sponge. It really is amazing how much better the parts look verses just cleaning with degreaser/simple green or even the ultrasonic. You just have to be careful to keep it away from anything magnesium as it will turn those parts dark. Then again, it give them a cool finish too. I think that I am going to use it on my magnesium hubs. One of my friends did and it looks pretty cool.
BAMX
12/5/2016 9:13pm
Well, I had to do a little more painting on the frame this morning. My painting at dusk on Friday left me with a couple of spots that were light on paint' After that, the reassembly started. I started chasing the threads and remembered that the lower pipe mount had a 1/4-20 bolt threaded into it. Luckily, I had a short Time-Sert.

Here is a pic of the Time-Sert kit IMO, these are the only way to go for thread repair. If you aren't familiar with them, they are a solid sleeve that has a slight hour glass shape, You drill, countersink, tap and then install the insert. Inserts can be bought in any number of different sizes, lengths and materials. The kits are pretty expensive at around $75 per size but they work well. I have found some good deals on Ebay by searching "kent moore thread" That company made a number of multi sized Time Sert kits for car dealerships and they go pretty cheap.

Here is the finished product. You can barely notice the repair.

After that repair, I was finally able to start putting a few parts back on the frame.

BAMX
12/6/2016 12:09pm
I got some of the parts in yesterday. Here are the bearing kits that I bought from Ebay. They were both from Bearing Connections and look good. The steering bearing kit is much nicer than the All Balls that I had bought the last time I did them on my 250.

Steering bearings kit $27

Linkage kit $47. It has way more than I anticipated. It has every part less the aluminum casting to rebuild the linkage.

BAMX
12/7/2016 5:30pm
I have been fighting some issues with my carb. The original had a broken slide. It looks to have cracked off pieces that went through the motor. It didn't do much damage but the piston showed a few marks. My thought was to buy a new OE unit until I saw that Suzuki wanted $150 for it. I searched Ebay and the best that I could do was to buy a whole carb for $80. The thought was to rob the slide and resell the rest. That was until I checked the slide that was in this new carb. It had started to crack as well. A friend recommended Sudco and they came through. $63 for a brand new slide.

Here are the two bad slides.

moto804
12/7/2016 6:37pm
Good find with Sudco.

For future reference, I have also had very good luck with jetsrus.com for pretty much anything carb related. They have a lot of good cross reference info on their site too if you dig around a little.

Post a reply to: 04 RM125 build for the rest of us...done

The Latest