'04 RM 250 revisited

Related:
Create New Tag

6/15/2017 4:26 PM

Not much of a build thread, but I'm finally done with it.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/15/2017 4:46 PM

It started out as a low hour bike to begin with. These are a couple pics of it when I bought it-
Photo
Photo

Then I decided to "make it mine" and it ended up like this-
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/15/2017 4:58 PM

I could've stopped there, but I came across the xfun aluminum gas tank form Italy, along with some more parts that I decided to buy and it ended up like this-
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/15/2017 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2017 11:16 PM

Most normal people would be satisfied with the bike at this point, but I got the itch for another change. I added the VHM head and swapped out the suspension for an RMZ 450 set up that required me to use the RMZ front wheel. So I had new wheels built to accommodate the new forks. I also had to get a new set of triple clamps to fit the forks. I used a '16 RMZ front caliper and had them both ceracoated and I replaced the brake lines with a new set of Galfer lines to go with the Galfer rotors I had installed. I had a few parts powder coated black, including the power valve covers and rear brake caliper bracket.
I decided to change up the look with some new graphics to resemble my RMZ 450 that I had been building. I replaced the plastics as well and swapped the seat cover, all inspired from my 450 build.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/15/2017 5:35 PM

The addiction never stops! Sick bike as usual Shawn!

|

6/15/2017 5:45 PM

For reference, here's the 450 that inspired the changes I made-

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

I couldn't resist ....
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/15/2017 6:38 PM

Wow, that is stunning!!
I can't imagine the time and money that went into that.
I'd love to see a break down list of everything that was done.
Dare you ride it?..I'm not sure I would

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

6/15/2017 7:15 PM

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
|

6/15/2017 10:48 PM

I'm speechless. But dayum, just dayum.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

6/15/2017 11:23 PM

It's it's it's...beautiful (tears up).
Superb work! I remember seeing that old pic of when you first got it years ago, wow come along way mate.
Great photography too.

|

6/16/2017 2:00 AM

Awesome! Fantastic attention to detail, a truly beautiful build.

I'm so torn on whether I like the aluminium tank or not. I can see it being a massive benefit what with not having tank decals that bubble and get rubbed through in 5 hours. It looks as though it holds less fuel too, is there much of a weight difference between the ally and plastic tank?

Also, what bolts are those that hold the fork guards on? They are beautiful little pieces!
How does the VHM head perform? What insert have you gone with and what squish are you running?

|

@russ_69

6/16/2017 5:33 AM

That RM 250 is one of my favorite bikes i have ever seen. Very very nice!!!

|

6/16/2017 7:24 AM

Thats nice, you should sell it.

|

6/16/2017 8:43 AM

Very nice RM!

|

6/16/2017 9:30 AM

RussB wrote:

Awesome! Fantastic attention to detail, a truly beautiful build.

I'm so torn on whether I like the aluminium tank or not. I can see it being a massive benefit what with not having tank decals that bubble and get rubbed through in 5 hours. It looks as though it holds less fuel too, is there much of a weight difference between the ally and plastic tank?

Also, what bolts are those that hold the fork guards on? They are beautiful little pieces!
How does the VHM head perform? What insert have you gone with and what squish are you running?

The gas tank is for sure lighter than the stock tank, but that's not why I chose to use it. It was more for the looks than anything. I liked the fact that the RMZ shrouds made the bike look more current. That and the front fender/ # plate with the side plate mods give it the look is was hoping for.

Most all the Ti bolts/ hardware came from race-tech titanium, including the fork guard bolts.

The VHM head is a nice piece and to be honest I haven't ridden with it yet. I put the standard insert in, but also bought a blank and had it cut with a bit more compression. I'm not sure on squish, my buddy is the motor guru and did what he thought would work best. I'll try that insert, once I get a feel for what's in it, so I can give an honest opinion of the difference.

|

6/16/2017 9:36 AM

Herb Eaversmells wrote:

Thats nice, you should sell it.

If someone wants it and has enough cash, I'd be willing to part with it. But I'm not sure someone would be willing to pay new bike pricing for a 13 year old bike. I have put a shitload of money into it and will never get what I have into it, so I can see it being around for a long time. But then again... there's always someone out there willing to pay for something when they really want it.

|

6/16/2017 9:48 AM

w00t w00t w00t w00t Bike looks awesome!!!!! Hope I run into you at the track so I can check it out in person. She is sweeeeeet!!!!
|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/16/2017 7:58 PM

Straight nasty!

|

Did i do that?

6/17/2017 1:11 PM

Can you please adopt me?

How will the brake coating hold up over time you think? I'd like to do that to my next ride!

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

6/17/2017 9:51 PM

SeaClassExpert wrote:

Can you please adopt me?

How will the brake coating hold up over time you think? I'd like to do that to my next ride!

The Ceracote is tough. Shouldn't be an issue over time.

I already raised 2 kids, it's my turn now. Lol

|

6/19/2017 8:33 AM

Sean that's the baddest rm I've ever seen!!!

|

6/20/2017 12:33 PM

Now there are two bikes I would gladly park in my garage. Great work on both of them.

P.s. thanks for sharing some of your excess parts with me. But I would still love one of those extra ti headerslaughing

|

6/20/2017 1:10 PM

Add some color

Photo

|

6/20/2017 4:18 PM

Good God-- out of my league (The RM I mean) tongue

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

6/20/2017 6:01 PM

Work of art. Dude, throw up a video of you railing a few corners would love to hear that RM scream.

|

6/20/2017 10:44 PM

Gawd dang Shaun.....Your bike is about as perfect , as perfect can be when it comes to these RM's. Truly an inspiration. And thank you for all your help on mine as well! I have about a month before mine is done. Parts still on the way , back ordered...and just time to try and get things done. She'll look pretty and ready to rip up the vet classes up here in the NW. It won't be on the level of your RM....but dang it , I'll be proud railing that thing.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja