'02 CR250 FasterUSA/Dirt Bike Mag.

FiendzCC
12/6/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 7:36am
2002 CR250 bought for $1050. Got a heads up from a friend who found a post on Facebook marketplace with a deal too hard to pass up. After some very vague and uninspiring messages back and forth with the seller, and asking multiple times for a phone number (we're not facebook/texting kind of guys, we just call you), we finally confirmed that it wasn't a scam and the seller did actually want to sell the bike. Some of the people on sites like this and Craigslist really make me wonder why they bother making a listing in the first place because they seem so unmotivated even when you're ready with cash in hand.

Anyways, here's the bike...

This one has some sweet "features"...

Spray painted forks Whistling

Spray painted ignition cover in purple...

Breast Cancer Awareness sale? I don't know. The guy claimed it was a bike he bought for his chick, but unless she's a bodybuilder and her name is something along the lines of 'Olga' or 'Helga', I just don't buy it. I'm 6'4" and these bars feel like I'm riding a cholo'd out Harley Road King. The kill switch cable routing and zip ties are obviously mint as well.

I also have a theory that this broski thought he had some aftermarket perches, because the other side had the clamp piece bolted in the same fashion. Never heard of this brand "dn" Grinning

Somebody cut their chain too short the night before a Glamis trip Wink double master link, double strength, bother!

This 250 sure has a ridiculous amount of compression, but you bought this bike for your lovely girlfriend! Gonna need to tame that power down somehow, so just make your own throttle stop... what could go wrong!

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
12/6/2018 10:55am
Gotta love the stuff you find on used bikes. My yz was the first used bike that didn't have those issues! (Thanks SomeDood for selling me an awesome bike!)
lukemoto
12/6/2018 1:21pm
is the case cracked?? Otherwise looks like there is still some good potential especially for what you got it for!
FiendzCC
12/7/2018 10:57am
lukemoto wrote:
is the case cracked?? Otherwise looks like there is still some good potential especially for what you got it for!
Oh you bet it is. We're addressing that, will post more photos when I find time
HenryA
12/7/2018 2:14pm
Is the reed cage the real deal or is it a sticker? Can't be sure when you see the other mods on that bike Silly

The Shop

FWYT
12/8/2018 12:09am
*face palm*
Blows my mind what some idiots do to a bike. My '95 YZ250 had SAE bolts here and there.
Who does that?! I curse the bastard as I un-fuck certain jacked up things on a bike.
H4L
12/8/2018 9:28am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2018 6:41pm
FWYT wrote:
*face palm* Blows my mind what some idiots do to a bike. My '95 YZ250 had SAE bolts here and there. Who does that?! I curse...
*face palm*
Blows my mind what some idiots do to a bike. My '95 YZ250 had SAE bolts here and there.
Who does that?! I curse the bastard as I un-fuck certain jacked up things on a bike.
Laughing When I see bikes like this for sale I don't walk away I run away. It amazes me what people do to bikes sometimes...
FiendzCC
12/10/2018 8:32am
HenryA wrote:
Is the reed cage the real deal or is it a sticker? Can't be sure when you see the other mods on that bike Silly
Good point, we'll check it out. May just end up replacing it regardless of what it is.
FiendzCC
12/10/2018 8:34am
FWYT wrote:
*face palm* Blows my mind what some idiots do to a bike. My '95 YZ250 had SAE bolts here and there. Who does that?! I curse...
*face palm*
This one does too haha. Check that allen bolt on the clutch perch, started laughing when I realized it was between the metric sizes I was trying
bonseff
12/10/2018 9:15am
I think you did pretty well for a grand. It looks like it has good bones.
Mocaby_24
12/10/2018 10:58pm
FWYT wrote:
*face palm*
Yeah I just bought a 2001 cr250 for around a grand and the same shit. Phillip's screws. Wrong size bolt stripped in. And oh get this one. Broke a triple clamp bolt off in the lowers and ground the bolt down. Caulked the bolt and put it back in. It's there though right?..
brian352
12/14/2018 3:40am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 3:43am
I know the seller wasn't the shapest bulb in box. But I believe the perch is OEM. Flip it around and it'll say "up". Which means he thought it said down ("dn").
12/14/2018 7:16am
brian352 wrote:
I know the seller wasn't the shapest bulb in box. But I believe the perch is OEM. Flip it around and it'll say "up". Which means...
I know the seller wasn't the shapest bulb in box. But I believe the perch is OEM. Flip it around and it'll say "up". Which means he thought it said down ("dn").
Welcome to planet earth
FiendzCC
12/17/2018 1:56pm
Let's dive into the tear down:

Not pretty but I've seen worse.

From this angle, you can really admire the attention to detail the previous owner had with the blue garden hoses...

Bitchin' spray painted subframe

Check out that connector Laughing

Gonna need a new pipe. I wonder what brand we'll end up going with...

Rear shock off...

Swingarm coming off next. This one was surprisingly much easier to remove than the YZ we did.

FiendzCC
12/18/2018 12:27pm

Got the motor out and gave it a bead blast to clean up the surface. As you can see the case saver was snapped off. Because the cases have been discontinued for this model, I recently reached out to Vital members to see if anyone had one they wanted to sell us. I received plenty of responses (thank you to everyone that reached out), but we decided against this route, and instead enlisted our friend Corey Hugonett to weld it up for us. Corey is an old roomate of mine, and a top notch welder who has done work for numerous race teams in the truck scene. We should have the motor back from him soon, and then we'll decide on what we would like to do to the motor from there.

Here Colin and Corey discuss what we're looking to achieve/what hair gel Corey uses.

FiendzCC
1/23/2019 12:18pm
Got the motor back the other day, we think he did a stellar job! Our case has been saved...

Now off to our buddy China Myron to work his magic and get us some more power. He did our motor for the YZ125 we built and it runs amazing with the porting and head work he did, so I'm really excited to see what he ends up doing for this 250. China has a dyno now, so we should be able to have an idea of what sort of power it's making when it's all done. We didn't dyno the motor beforehand though, so we won't have any "before" data to compare to.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/23/2019 2:50pm
Looks great so far. How's the rest of the bike coming along?
FiendzCC
1/25/2019 12:26pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Looks great so far. How's the rest of the bike coming along?
Slowly but surely. I'm trying to update this as we go, but I get caught up with work around the shop. It's also a waiting game too though, with having to send some of this stuff out to be repaired. We cracked our swingarm during tear down, so we just got that back yesterday from the same guy that welded our case. It was a little ovaled from the chain, so Colin tried to press it back using a spacer we had around the shop and it ended up cracking through Pinch

Before:

After:

FiendzCC
1/25/2019 12:38pm
One of our radiators was pretty mangled, so we sent both up to Fontana Radiator to have the one repaired and both inspected. They did a great job on our YZ at a reasonable price and turnaround time.

Goodbye hoses:

Before:

Paint stripper and pressure wash:

After bead blast and back from Fontana Radiator:

They found a few spots that needed to be rewelded, good thing we sent both to be tested and inspected:

FiendzCC
2/5/2019 12:36pm
Stripped, blasted and filed, off to be polished and then clear anodized. We've talked about going this route on a build for a while now, and if they turn out how we're hoping they should, they should stay looking good for a long time Sideways

After getting our swingarm welded, we took it to our anodizer a couple blocks away to have the OEM anodize stripped off. We just got that back yesterday, so Colin filed down a couple rough spots near the chain adjustment marks before we take it to get polished.

Same thing with the frame, a few of the edges were just a little rough and needed to be smoothed out.

AHarmon237
2/6/2019 12:14pm
FiendzCC wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/18/311142/s1200_IMG_3309.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/18/311143/s1200_IMG_3314.jpg[/img] Got the motor out and gave it a bead blast to clean up the surface. As you can see the case saver was snapped...

Got the motor out and gave it a bead blast to clean up the surface. As you can see the case saver was snapped off. Because the cases have been discontinued for this model, I recently reached out to Vital members to see if anyone had one they wanted to sell us. I received plenty of responses (thank you to everyone that reached out), but we decided against this route, and instead enlisted our friend Corey Hugonett to weld it up for us. Corey is an old roomate of mine, and a top notch welder who has done work for numerous race teams in the truck scene. We should have the motor back from him soon, and then we'll decide on what we would like to do to the motor from there.

Here Colin and Corey discuss what we're looking to achieve/what hair gel Corey uses.

Did you have the entire engine blasted while assembled? If so, what media did you use?
FiendzCC
2/6/2019 4:32pm
AHarmon237 wrote:
Did you have the entire engine blasted while assembled? If so, what media did you use?
Yeah, just gotta plug stuff off really good. It was a fine grit glass bead. I think when we get the motor back we might try to hit it with a vapor blast though. Should give it a little nicer of a finish.
FiendzCC
3/11/2019 5:38pm
Got the parts back from polishing a little while ago, been busy around the shop so I didn't get a chance to upload these right away. You may have seen them on social media already.

Swingarm turned out nice. You can see Colin posting photos of it to @FasterUSA on Instagram in the reflection.

Almost forgot about the ignition holder, we're dropping these off at anodizing next so we drilled the aluminum rivet out.

I'm told sometime this week on anodizing, will update you guys hopefully soon. Other than that, we're trying to figure out a clutch for this thing so we can complete the motor. What are you guys with CR's using for clutches?

brody
3/11/2019 5:50pm
That is clean!
buddy has a cr250 he runs a full hinson set up, best by far
FiendzCC
4/11/2019 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2019 11:25pm
One month exactly, boys. I wish I had more of an update for you, but we still have not received our parts back from the anodizer. We're running into a few different snags on this bike with things taking longer than anticipated, but that's the way she goes on these builds sometimes. We've also been slammed at the shop though, so it's not like we've had time for things like project bikes anyways. We're staying busy by helping with other people's projects while we wait for ours to come together.

The clear anodized frame hasn't been as easy to achieve as we had hoped. First we get bitched at by our polisher for bead blasting the frame the way we did, now we're getting bitched at by our anodizer for the buffing compound used by the polisher that they have to clean off before anodizing. Colin went over there with a can of Maxima Contact Cleaner just to get something going with the prepping process at least. I'm wondering if the gun part business is just so good right now that motorcycle stuff just isn't their priority.

We did receive some parts this week for the motor and chassis that I'll update on more tomorrow. The progress can feel so stagnant at times with this build, but I have a feeling it will all come together in one big wave in the next month or two, as we're starting to see things show up.
pkiczuk
4/12/2019 4:29am
Man with the frame looking like that, I wouldn't want to ride this thing! But beautiful work so far! Looking forward to the rest of the build.
FiendzCC
4/15/2019 12:28am
There was so much mismatch hardware that we pulled out of the bike, we're excited to have what I believe to be every nut and bolt we need to put this bike back together thanks to Specbolt. Anodized red drilled washers and all, we should be looking proper.

FiendzCC
4/25/2019 3:40pm
FINALLY, we have a foundation to start building upon. Even after Colin took the anodizer a can of contact cleaner in hopes that it would at least get them going on prepping everything for the clear anodize, we waited another week only to find out they still hadn't done anything. Frustrated, we took it all back to the shop, and in just a couple hours we did what took them over a month to even get started on.

We brought it all back to them the very next day, and after a few more days of waiting we finally have our frame, sub frame and swingarm all back and ready to be bolted together.

FiendzCC
5/15/2019 1:59pm
Tore apart the brakes yesterday to get ready for Cerakote. Still deciding on colors, but they should pop nicely with the clear anodize theme on the rest of the bike not being too flashy.

Trying to keep the brake fluid mess somewhat contained, along with all the old parts and internals. We will be freshening up the calipers and master cylinders (or brake reservoirs) with new rubber.

FiendzCC
5/15/2019 2:10pm
Cerakote going down today. Got some more parts to coat in addition to the brake systems. A quick acetone bath and these parts should be (in theory) oil and brake fluid free.

Now that the parts have been stripped of any residues, they're ready for the blast cabinet. Colors to be used in spraying have also been selected.

Post a reply to: '02 CR250 FasterUSA/Dirt Bike Mag.

The Latest