01 CR-125 Build

Ruston_Moss
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 8:56pm
Whats up VMX... so for the past year I've had this bit of a project bike that I've been working on, its an 01 CR-125 as you can tell by the title. My original plan was to build it for more of a motocross scene, and in January I broke my CB, I cased a double and it threw me over the bars. After that I've decided to move towards more of an enduro scene, I had just got the CR before I broke my collarbone, and I didn't want to sell for a 250 4T or 250 2T, so working with what I had... I began this build. I didn't take many pictures along the way due to it being spread throughout the year, but recently I finally splurged and bought the last bit of stuff I wanted for the bike minus a 3.1 gal tank, that can wait. When I first got the bike she was making pretty low compression, and I could work on my bike all day, but troubleshooting is not my strong area, so I send her into the local K&N Yamaha, man those guys know what they are doing, I've never been disappointed in any of their work. Turned out the piston was shot, the cylinder is a little worn, and the power valve linkage wasn't even hooked up! So they threw a new piston in there, and now it's making about 140psi, still 40psi under but it still rips, at some point before this upcoming race season I will throw a new cylinder in there, but I got the motor running good, and I started to work towards making it more woods ready (Pipe Guard, Hand Guards, Moose Torque Spacer, Skid Plate (not made yet), etc.) Spent 6 hours in the shop a couple days ago getting her cleaned up, running the swingarm and frame with scotch brite and mothers polish, and here is my final product! What are your opinions on it? anything else you'd recommend for a 125 woods bike? 

And by the way, I'm sure I'm gonna hear "A 125 in the woods?", "just buy a 250", "you won't have enough bottom end", etc. But after riding a yz250, a ktm 200exc, and a cr250f through the woods, I wouldn't trade my bike for anything like that, it is so much lighter, and although I have to work the hell out of the clutch, I feel like I have a lot more control over logs, rocks, etc. I also feel like its easier to throw the 125 around more than the other bikes.

|
Rickyisms
1/4/2019 6:56am
I still ride my 125s in the woods and I think it's an absolute blast, more challenging but if you work hard enough at it they work fairly well, especially for me being a tall skinny guy.

My only advice is get the suspension set up for woods.
1/4/2019 8:18am
I had one of those 01 cr125 back in 00 bought it brand new. The stock jetting is way off it runs decent but it can be much better with a needle change. This spec came from the orginal dirt bike magazine test. You want the honda needle that ends in 2171. It's a optional needle from Honda for that bike.

What does it change? It's a 2 and a half step leaner needle over stock. Run it in the middle clip position and you need to richen your main jet to a 410. The airscrew set at 1 and 1/2 turns out.

The bike runs sooo much cleaner with this setting
I remember thinking why didn't I try this sooner! It was definitely one of those you dumbass because I had the issue of dirt bike with that recommendation for months right in front of me the whole time.
1/7/2019 8:56pm
I took a pic of the orginal dirt bike test where it talks about the jetting. Read from where it says is the 2001 fast?

Post a reply to: 01 CR-125 Build

The Latest