First Look: 2008 Kawasaki KX250F
|You can click the following link to check out a gallery of photos of the 2008 Kawasaki KX250F.|
Better Shifting, Improved Handling and Extra Reliability
You just can’t argue with results. Kawasaki’s KX™250F motorcycle has been a dominant force in professional supercross and motocross racing over the last two years. Now, this world-beating machine gets even better, with a host of refinements offering improved shifting, quicker handling and boosted reliability.
The KX250F was a model of speed and consistency throughout the 2007 AMA Supercross Lites seasons, sweeping both the AMA West Region Supercross Lites and East Region Supercross Lites championships plus the National Arenacross titles. Now, the lessons learned on the racetrack come home to roost in the 2008 machine.
New crankcases provide increased rigidity in the areas surrounding the crankshaft, transmission input and transmission output shafts to transfer torque more-efficiently and improve overall durability in the toughest race conditions. A new shift lever, positioned three degrees higher, offers a finer spline pitch so that it can be adjusted more accurately and provides more-positive shifting.
To compliment the increased longitudinal rigidity introduced on the 2007 KX250F’s frame, the 2008 model features new engine mounts which use a 10mm longer spacer to reduce torsional rigidity. This new chassis rigidity balance provides even quicker steering, better rider feel and a boost in rear wheel traction.
Subtle suspension refinements improve suspension feel, turning response and bottoming resistance. These changes include smaller air passages at the top of the fork cartridges which provide an enhanced air “spring” effect for smoother compression damping, while .5mm thicker fork piston rods provide increased rigidity and smoother response through the middle of the suspension’s stroke. Updated settings in the rear shock provide a smoother mid-stroke response to compliment the changes in the front fork valving, while a slightly higher ride height provides quicker handling and a more aggressive feel.
The 2008 KX250F will be available in Kawasaki Lime Green, with factory-look black alumite coated rims standard.
Racers who ride their KX250F at designated events are eligible to receive support from Team Green™, Kawasaki’s amateur racing support program. Each year, Team Green provides regional support vehicles and highly trained technicians at more than 100 events, offering technical information and assistance to those who race Kawasaki products. Kawasaki also offers a comprehensive contingency program for amateur and professional riders who place well at designated events.
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. (KMC) markets and distributes Kawasaki motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and utility vehicles through a network of more than 1,500 independent retailers, with an additional 7,700 retailers specializing in power products and general purpose engines. KMC and its affiliates employ nearly 2,400 people in the United States, with 400 of them located at the Irvine, California headquarters.
Kawasaki’s tagline, “Let the good times roll.™”, is recognized worldwide and the brand has become synonymous with powerful, stylish motorcycles for over four decades. Information about Kawasaki’s complete line of recreational products and Kawasaki affiliates can be found on the Internet at www.kawasaki.com.
Features and Benefits
- 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-valve, DOHC engine delivers hard-hitting power from mid- to high-rpm
- Features improvements in rigidity and reliability
- Wide powerband for excellent low-rpm torque and blistering over-rev
- Polished intake ports for an extremely-smooth surface that improves intake flow at every rpm
- Ultra-light thin-stem titanium valves feature thick skirts and extended guides for maximum durability
- New head gasket offers better sealing
- Special valve seat material helps prevent wear on the titanium valves
- K-TRIC digital microcomputer controlled ignition system with coil on plug “stick” ignition to save weight and improve performance
- Digital ignition tuned to maximize top-end and over-rev, includes a spark-controlled rev limiter for more precise control of maximum engine rpm
- New more-rigid crankcase around the crankshaft and on the left side, near the input and output shafts for increased reliability and more-efficient torque transfer
- New kickstart ratchet is 3.5mm thicker for better feel and reliability
- Crankshaft is surface-hardened for maximum rigidity
- Twin oil pumps ensure proper lubrication and oil scavenging for optimum performance
- Lightweight magnesium clutch, generator and cylinder head covers
- High-capacity Denso radiators are designed to offer superior cooling in a slim profile
- New 3mm higher shift lever with precise adjustability for maximum rider control
- All-aluminum perimeter frame features composite structure, utilizing forged, extruded and cast components
- 10mm wider engine mount spacers reduce torsional rigidity for quicker steering, improved rear wheel traction and better rider feel
- The slim profile of the frame, two-piece radiator shrouds that leave the upper frame spars exposed, and careful design of the remaining bodywork make the KX250F feel light and narrow beneath the rider
- Showa twin-chamber fork keeps oil and air in separate chambers for stable damping performance during long motos
- Fork features .5mm thicker piston rods for smoother mid-stroke action
- New smaller air passages at the top of the fork cartridge provide more of an “air spring” effect during compression, for more consistent damping
- Showa shock with revised tuning
- Raised ride height provides quicker turning and improved bottoming resistance
- Fine rear shock damping adjuster needle allows precise suspension tuning
- Alloy swingarm uses cast front section, tapered hydroformed spars and forged chain pullers; the tapered spars are shaped to match the balance of flex and rigidity required of the aluminum frame
- Sprocket-style chain roller helps smooth engine braking by reducing drive lash
- Front and rear brakes utilize petal discs, helping to reduce overall weight
- Petal discs help to clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
- New factory-look black alumite coated rims
From the Cockpit
- Renthal aluminum handlebar is ultra-strong and reduces overall weight
- Short-length grips feature a special pattern to reduce vibration transmitted from the bars to the rider
- Particular attention was paid to the body work underneath the seat to improve the rider‘s grip on the chassis when standing
- Bodywork, graphics and seat cover have aggressive style inspired by championship winning factory teams
- Different inertia magneto rotors
- 12-tooth countershaft sprocket
- Top handlebar clamp for an oversized bar
- Aluminum and steel rear sprockets with optional tooth sizes
- Solid petal brake rotors for wet racing conditions
- Optional springs for the front fork and rear shock
- Manual decompression lever and cable
- 20-inch front wheel
Engine: Four-stroke single with DOHC and four valves
Bore x stroke: 77.0 x 53.6mm
Carburetion: Keihin FCR37 and hot start circuit
Compression ratio: 13.5:1
Ignition: Multi-map digital CDI with K-TRIC throttle position sensor
Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
Final drive: Chain
Frame: Aluminum perimeter
Rake / trail: 27.7 degrees / 4.7 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel: 47mm inverted Showa twin-chamber telescopic fork with 16-way compression and rebound damping / 12.4 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® linkage system and Showa shock with 13-way low-speed and stepless high-speed compression damping, 17-way rebound damping and fully adjustable spring preload / 12.2 in.
Front tire: 80/100-21 51M
Rear tire: 100/90-19 57M
Front brake: Single semi-floating 250mm petal disc with dual piston caliper
Rear brake: Single 240mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
Overall length: 85.0 in.
Overall width: 32.3 in.
Overall height: 50.0 in.
Wheelbase: 57.8 in.
Ground clearance: 13.2 in.
Seat height: 37.8 in.
Dry weight: 204 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 1.9 gal.
Color: Lime Green
Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618