been hearing about these new tracks coming in South Florida

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 7:14pm
I keep hearing about some new tracks opening in SW Florida. Are they just rumors or is there any truth to them? I saw on The Today Show ticker about approval for offroad park in Naples and heard about a track near Lehigh Acres opening and one near The REdNeck Yacht CluB area. We need a few or one even.
|
Jakes Dad
8/14/2013 8:04am
In the 8 short years I've had Jake racing here in Florida one thing I've observed is "not doing it right".

I think about 4 or 5 tracks have opened and closed usually because not abiding by local ordinances or not being honest with the local folks about what exactly the property will be used for.

I think Florida Tracks and Trails is using a very good approach with planning. But they are taking on a much bigger project than just an mx track, and they need to seperate themselves from what is going on down the road. IMHO

I also feel that if the promoters down here would quit bickering amongst themselves and be more involved with the AMA, Florida Motocross might be better off.
Jharper
8/15/2013 12:22pm
Jakes Dad wrote:
In the 8 short years I've had Jake racing here in Florida one thing I've observed is "not doing it right". I think about 4 or...
In the 8 short years I've had Jake racing here in Florida one thing I've observed is "not doing it right".

I think about 4 or 5 tracks have opened and closed usually because not abiding by local ordinances or not being honest with the local folks about what exactly the property will be used for.

I think Florida Tracks and Trails is using a very good approach with planning. But they are taking on a much bigger project than just an mx track, and they need to seperate themselves from what is going on down the road. IMHO

I also feel that if the promoters down here would quit bickering amongst themselves and be more involved with the AMA, Florida Motocross might be better off.
I grew up at Durhamtown in Georgia and watched it grow from a few guys riding quads during the off season of hunting to what it is today. With the land I know Florida Tracks and trails could do it. I think they honestly need to focus less on being like Durhamtown and more on opening up and getting running. Cabins/campsites, proshop, moto, and one way trails are what you need. Use incoming revenue to build up from there. They are dumping a ton of money into things that can come later IMO. The guy at the helm ( Geno Stopwenko) is a stand up guy though, I think with the right people under him it could definitely be successful.
BigWilson87
8/26/2013 7:16pm
I've lived in South Florida my whole life. Unfortunately, I've heard about a lot of new tracks coming down here, but they never seem to actually get going. There's a huge community of riders down here, but a lot of the cities don't want tracks down here, and on the rare occasion that the city does allow one to open, the management seems to run them poorly and they eventually close down anyway. Let's hope this one actually goes through.
Aron213
12/3/2013 6:15pm
I raced in SoFla from the early 80's to the late 90's, from Homestead RPMC, Lockhart stadium with Pete Scalzo to Air Dania with Brian Penick....I remember a track out off 27 that had the longest start straight I ever saw Woohoo but all of them come and go, riders always talk crap of the track, not realizing that they basically are shooting themselves in the foot. When I started riding there was 100's of places to ride, some where even in the grassy areas of off ramps off the Palmetto and the Turnpike Ext., now there are so few and usually you get thrown out quickly.

Now I live 4.7 miles from Gatorback, and before that, I lived off the same road that Reddick is on, just about 10 miles away

The Shop

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/4/2013 10:17am
Aron213 wrote:
I raced in SoFla from the early 80's to the late 90's, from Homestead RPMC, Lockhart stadium with Pete Scalzo to Air Dania with Brian Penick....I...
I raced in SoFla from the early 80's to the late 90's, from Homestead RPMC, Lockhart stadium with Pete Scalzo to Air Dania with Brian Penick....I remember a track out off 27 that had the longest start straight I ever saw Woohoo but all of them come and go, riders always talk crap of the track, not realizing that they basically are shooting themselves in the foot. When I started riding there was 100's of places to ride, some where even in the grassy areas of off ramps off the Palmetto and the Turnpike Ext., now there are so few and usually you get thrown out quickly.

Now I live 4.7 miles from Gatorback, and before that, I lived off the same road that Reddick is on, just about 10 miles away
I also grew up racing Lockhart stadium, Homestead and of coarse Dania. Each until the day they closed. Old Pete scalzo. He opened a track here about ten years ago that lasted about 6 months. We used to practice at Copans rd back in the day. We rode with Eric Shrader, Dean Baker, Ronnie Sparks and so many fast guys in late 80s early 90's. My best friend at the time was Chris Showalter. I am sure we rode together.
Aron213
12/5/2013 6:47am
Aron213 wrote:
I raced in SoFla from the early 80's to the late 90's, from Homestead RPMC, Lockhart stadium with Pete Scalzo to Air Dania with Brian Penick....I...

FLmxer wrote:
I also grew up racing Lockhart stadium, Homestead and of coarse Dania. Each until the day they closed. Old Pete scalzo. He opened a track here...
I also grew up racing Lockhart stadium, Homestead and of coarse Dania. Each until the day they closed. Old Pete scalzo. He opened a track here about ten years ago that lasted about 6 months. We used to practice at Copans rd back in the day. We rode with Eric Shrader, Dean Baker, Ronnie Sparks and so many fast guys in late 80s early 90's. My best friend at the time was Chris Showalter. I am sure we rode together.
Dean Baker stayed with me for a week at a MX school that was held at River Ranch. Dean, Ray Bell, Danny Zullo and myself used to hang out together at the races, but rarely practiced together. I was a year or two behind them when it was time to move up to the big bikes from the minis.

During the Air Dania days, Shaw Dunkle and Kevin Bendle and I had a house in Hollywood together, and we kept our bikes over at Erik Claise's house.

I need to find a pic I have of me loosing it in the whoops at the Lockhart basball stadium, it has Danny Zullo, Dusty Steele and Dean Baker all in the pic.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/5/2013 9:37am
Have you seen this one?
Aron213
12/5/2013 1:09pm
lol, Ive seen that before....I remember when Scalzo had the jump competition and Timmy would enter it on his 85 YZ80 and jump the front triple.

The guy that got the holeshot, Danial Graham, he has a step brother named Randy Guphie(I think thats the last name). Danial was by far the faster of the two, but by accidently I dicked over Randy in a FTR Harescamble season award, I raced the first few events and was running second in the points at the halfway point in the Junior division when I quit racing FTR to focus on MX, well the last race of the year was in Palm Beach, so since it was sorta local(I lived in Miramar) I raced it, I won the race and by winning it bumped him out of 10th place overall points and a chance for a year end trophy. I really felt bad for that.
Aron213
12/11/2013 5:43am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2013 5:43am
Dean and me at Gatorback
Aron213
12/11/2013 5:54am Edited Date/Time 12/11/2013 5:55am
L to R
Danial Graham, me, Dean Baker , im guessing 1983 since thats my 83 YZ80 in the pic
Aron213
12/11/2013 5:57am
Leading Dean at Homestead

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/9/2014 10:03am
Man those are some cool shots, I have a bunch that look just like them ha and I was trying to find them and got real busy with charters and tournaments. I will find some somewhere. Lol.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/4/2014 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2014 7:43pm
Really bad pic but that is me over double and Dean in back ground at Lockhart. Looking for more.

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/4/2014 7:51pm
Aron213 wrote:
Leading Dean at Homestead [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/12/11/38607/s1200_image_9.jpg[/img]
Leading Dean at Homestead

My gear was awesome back in 87. Lol. Plus mom chopped my head.

logan_140
7/7/2014 10:49pm
There is going to be new tracks. It's called Florida tracks and trails in Punta gorta! I believe 4 or 5 tracks one national tracks and dream trax is building all of them
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/26/2014 7:41pm
logan_140 wrote:
There is going to be new tracks. It's called Florida tracks and trails in Punta gorta! I believe 4 or 5 tracks one national tracks and...
There is going to be new tracks. It's called Florida tracks and trails in Punta gorta! I believe 4 or 5 tracks one national tracks and dream trax is building all of them
I knew about that one but was hoping it would actually happen. I know it will open now. Just saw my local news there again today and the jumps were being built. I can't wait. New bike and new track. Where do you ride?
h&m_cycle
8/16/2014 11:04pm
logan_140 wrote:
There is going to be new tracks. It's called Florida tracks and trails in Punta gorta! I believe 4 or 5 tracks one national tracks and...
FLmxer wrote:
I knew about that one but was hoping it would actually happen. I know it will open now. Just saw my local news there again today...
I knew about that one but was hoping it would actually happen. I know it will open now. Just saw my local news there again today and the jumps were being built. I can't wait. New bike and new track. Where do you ride?
here's the tracks, I had to move from Florida (job) & miss the state very much

sucks for me.... enjoy

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
8/17/2014 4:54am
logan_140 wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
I knew about that one but was hoping it would actually happen. I know it will open now. Just saw my local news there again today...
h&m_cycle wrote:
here's the tracks, I had to move from Florida (job) & miss the state very much sucks for me.... enjoy

sucks for me.... enjoy

Thanks for the great news. Man I need my new bike before opening day. Should be out by then.
logan_140
8/17/2014 5:26am
FLmxer wrote:
h&m_cycle wrote:
here's the tracks, I had to move from Florida (job) & miss the state very much sucks for me.... enjoy

sucks for me.... enjoy

FLmxer wrote:
Thanks for the great news. Man I need my new bike before opening day. Should be out by then.
I ride at Bartow,Dade city,thunder cross,coyote,Tampa mx,sunshine mx
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
8/23/2014 8:49pm
h&m_cycle wrote:

sucks for me.... enjoy

FLmxer wrote:
logan_140 wrote:
Right on. We will have to meet up when the 15's come out.
logan_140
8/23/2014 8:56pm
FLmxer wrote:
logan_140 wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
For sure where do you live?
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
8/25/2014 7:14pm
logan_140 wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
logan_140 wrote:
For sure where do you live?
Fort Myers. Looking forward to the new tracks to open.

Post a reply to: been hearing about these new tracks coming in South Florida

The Latest