tusk spokes excel rims issues cr/crf

Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 8:11am
hey anyone with wheel building experiance ever had any trouble with tusk spokes? laced the front and spokes are way to long.. I've tried turning the hub to twist all the spokes around but not having any luck i swear there to long.
the rear i can't lace completely i can get a little less then half the spokes in then the rest won't line up? i know on cr/crfs the inside and outside spokes are different legnths and i have them in the correct position still no luck
anyone help me?
|
aedwards07
2/19/2017 3:15pm
Post a picture of them so we can see how they are laced.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/19/2017 10:33pm
It's usually easier to place all the spokes in the hub first with no rim. Have them oriented in the general pattern they will go with the whole assy laying on the floor. Then drop the rim down over them and start working them into the rim and put each nipple on just a few threads at a time.

When you try to thread each spoke one by one through the hub and rim you always end up with those "gotta remove 2 I just put in to get this one" issues.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
2/20/2017 1:04am
Do the Tusk spoke lengths match the ones they are replacing (the ones you took off)? I've had no issues with Excel spokes on Excel rims but I haven't used Tusk spokes before.
2/20/2017 5:45am
Photo of front wheel laced
Spokes are still loose all the way around nipple threaded on as much as possible

out at work at the moment cant post a photo of the rear its the one that's bothering me bit of a brain fuck

The Shop

2/20/2017 5:47am
FGR01 wrote:
It's usually easier to place all the spokes in the hub first with no rim. Have them oriented in the general pattern they will go with...
It's usually easier to place all the spokes in the hub first with no rim. Have them oriented in the general pattern they will go with the whole assy laying on the floor. Then drop the rim down over them and start working them into the rim and put each nipple on just a few threads at a time.

When you try to thread each spoke one by one through the hub and rim you always end up with those "gotta remove 2 I just put in to get this one" issues.
Yeah I understand what your saying
But with the rear I can get a few in with all the spokes laid out but then the next few are out of line by about 10mm
2/20/2017 5:48am
wsc96 wrote:
Do the Tusk spoke lengths match the ones they are replacing (the ones you took off)? I've had no issues with Excel spokes on Excel rims...
Do the Tusk spoke lengths match the ones they are replacing (the ones you took off)? I've had no issues with Excel spokes on Excel rims but I haven't used Tusk spokes before.
Don't have any of the original spokes but I checked them again the oem length and there the same
erik_94COBRA
2/20/2017 6:58am
Excel rims don't always use stock length spokes (not sure about this case) and there were some oddball oem cr/crf hubs, though I think they were rear hubs. Check rim part number and see what Excel calls for on spokes.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/20/2017 7:01am
I can see that is a Honda wheel. I know for the front Excel rim for the Honda wheel, Excel says you must use Excel spokes and not OEM. I thought this was only due to a difference in the size of the holes in the rim and the nipples but it may effect spoke length as well.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
2/20/2017 7:47am
Front rim should be an IC_408 and rear should be either GD_411 or a GE_411. The Excel Application Chart indicates neither will work with OE spokes Angry

BobPA
2/20/2017 8:48am
FGR01 wrote:
It's usually easier to place all the spokes in the hub first with no rim. Have them oriented in the general pattern they will go with...

That never happens if you lace them in the correct order. Start on either side of the hub and place the outer spokes in first, followed by the inner. Flip the hub over and repeat.
crc245
2/20/2017 9:16am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2017 9:17am
OEM is 3 cross (3x), you currently have it laced at 2x...Zoom in on the photo here: http://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-…

You can see that each spoke needs more angle/pitch/whatever you choose to call it, from the hub to the wheel...Best of luck and please keep us updated with your progress!

PS: As others have advised, it's easiest if you lace all nine spokes into hub first (outers first) for proper alignment/twist and then lace accordingly...
2/20/2017 7:45pm
FGR01 wrote:
I can see that is a Honda wheel. I know for the front Excel rim for the Honda wheel, Excel says you must use Excel spokes...
I can see that is a Honda wheel. I know for the front Excel rim for the Honda wheel, Excel says you must use Excel spokes and not OEM. I thought this was only due to a difference in the size of the holes in the rim and the nipples but it may effect spoke length as well.
I tried lacing the same hub and spokes onto an oem wheel same results maybe it's the way I'm lacing them
Tusk do have two size nipples one to accomodate the oversize spokes for a60s
2/20/2017 7:46pm
crc245 wrote:
OEM is 3 cross (3x), you currently have it laced at 2x...Zoom in on the photo here: http://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-wheel-p/crf450r-rim-wheel-front.htm You can see that each spoke needs more...
OEM is 3 cross (3x), you currently have it laced at 2x...Zoom in on the photo here: http://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-…

You can see that each spoke needs more angle/pitch/whatever you choose to call it, from the hub to the wheel...Best of luck and please keep us updated with your progress!

PS: As others have advised, it's easiest if you lace all nine spokes into hub first (outers first) for proper alignment/twist and then lace accordingly...
Yeah good pick up I'll try it out when home from work
dmm698
2/21/2017 6:44am
Honestly, unless this bike is going to be a show bike that isnt ridden, do yourself a favor and stop trying to lace the wheels with those spokes. From a strength and integrity stand point they have been fine. From an asthetic stand point, they are terrible. One season and it every single spoke is missing half the black coating in spots. Wish i went with the normal version when I built my wheels.
RKExcel
2/21/2017 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 8:11am
crc245 wrote:
OEM is 3 cross (3x), you currently have it laced at 2x...Zoom in on the photo here: http://www.oemdirtbikeparts.com/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-wheel-p/crf450r-rim-wheel-front.htm You can see that each spoke needs more...

Yeah good pick up I'll try it out when home from work
What CRC245 said!

You will need to increase the cross pattern to the stock OE 3 cross. I have photos of a 3 cross if you will like to shoot me an email. Offset is 26.50mm for the front hub.

The rear hub will be the stock 2 cross with the long spokes as the inner spokes and short spokes as the outer spokes. Depending on the rim size and year of the CR/CRF, the wheel offset will vary. What is the year and model of the bike along with the rim size?

If you ever have any questions about wheels even if it isn't our product, don't hesitate to contact us.

Cole Anderson
Racer Support Supervisor/Sale Representative
RK Excel America Inc
2645 Vista Pacific Drive Oceanside, CA 92056
Tel: (760)732-3161 Fax: (760)732-3186

RKExcel
2/21/2017 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 8:11am
FGR01 wrote:
I can see that is a Honda wheel. I know for the front Excel rim for the Honda wheel, Excel says you must use Excel spokes...
I tried lacing the same hub and spokes onto an oem wheel same results maybe it's the way I'm lacing them Tusk do have two size...
I tried lacing the same hub and spokes onto an oem wheel same results maybe it's the way I'm lacing them
Tusk do have two size nipples one to accomodate the oversize spokes for a60s
Our Excel rims do not require you to use our Excel Spoke/Nipple Kits but our nipple hole diameter on our 21/19/18 Excel rims are an 8.5mm. FYI..... The Excel Takasago Signature Series and the Excel A60 rims use the same nipple hole diameter and drill pattern.

Depending on the motorcycle manufacturer, the front stock OE rim comes with a slightly smaller nipple hole diameter which results into smaller nipples. Some companies like Tusk, provide different size nipples for this type of situation. You can use the stock OE spokes/nipples but it just depends how the nipple sits in our Excel rim due to the 8.5mm nipple hole diameter.

Hopefully this info helps.

Cole Anderson
Racer Support Supervisor/Sale Representative
RK Excel America Inc
2645 Vista Pacific Drive Oceanside, CA 92056
Tel: (760)732-3161 Fax: (760)732-3186

2/26/2017 1:10am
laced the front 3 cross anddddddd it worked Laughing so stoked just need to true it now.. going to re lace the rear tonight and see how i go
thanks for the help guys really appreciate it

Post a reply to: tusk spokes excel rims issues cr/crf

The Latest