starcross 5's vs pirelli mx32

opyguy
2/21/2017 9:18am
My favorite combo doesn't exist anymore (M203/204), was looking @ starcross.....however Pirelli offering a rebate on the MX32's....any thoughts on one versus the other. Riding mid/soft terrain. Thanks
|
Motofinne
2/21/2017 11:27am
I haven't tested the new Michelin tires so i can't comment on those. But i used to be a Dunlop MX32 guy and my dealer convinced me to test the Pirelli MX32 and i did. I haven't bought anything else other than the Pirellis! They are really, really good.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
2/21/2017 11:51am
I really liked the Pirelli MX32 but they wore pretty fast. Amazing tire and I would buy again, just have to be aware of it's lifespan.

I just got a set of the Starcross tires but haven't put them in the dirt yet.
Jrewing
2/21/2017 1:07pm
Both good but the Pirelli are a touch better but wear quicker. That's the price for the grip though
opyguy
2/21/2017 1:11pm
I really liked the Pirelli MX32 but they wore pretty fast. Amazing tire and I would buy again, just have to be aware of it's lifespan...
I really liked the Pirelli MX32 but they wore pretty fast. Amazing tire and I would buy again, just have to be aware of it's lifespan.

I just got a set of the Starcross tires but haven't put them in the dirt yet.
Pirelli rebate gets them down to 65 front and 80 for rear from RMATV...Pirelli's it is, thanks for the info

The Shop

adam8781
2/23/2017 12:22pm
i was a huge dunlop fan, now after bouncing around a bit i love the new star cross 5s,
chump6784
2/24/2017 2:00pm
Try the Bridgestone x20, its the replacement for the 203/204. The x30 (mid terrain ) has been getting great reviews
tempura
2/24/2017 3:50pm
X30 rear is ok, although I find the x40 rear to be preferable.
The x30 front is nothing special, and find it to be on par with the Dunlop mx52 front.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
2/25/2017 9:53pm
adam8781 wrote:
i was a huge dunlop fan, now after bouncing around a bit i love the new star cross 5s,
Are you running the soft or medium Starcross?
3/1/2017 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2017 12:11pm
Ill be releasing a video shootout of mx32 vs mx3s vs starcross5 (sc5) soft in about a month or so.

but my personal 2 cents...
mx32 hooks up amazing on a wide variety of condition in the rear. Front isnt as good as mx3s or other fronts. purely off grip, the rear is stellar
lifespan sucks for me. 10 hours or under always see cracking on side knobbies... after 15 hours its totaly toast.. knobbies usually gone.

mx3s is good rear tire. IMHO grip not the best durability is pretty good for a soft terrain tire. My complaint is side to side grip, not forwars bite issues. for riders who like to "back the bike" into a turn, its the best tire. but turning on the gas across the track or up a jump it feels skatey. the front mx3s is stellar on pure sand/soft soft. ultra grabby on tacky (good for some bad for others -will climb ruts) and bad on hardpack imho

sc5 is awesome rear tire, awesome front. Front is versatile, not quite as good on pure sand as mx3s, same in soft/loamy, much better on hard pack. rear i think is similar to mx3s except better side to side bite. Good durability, doesnt chunk easily, mostly just normal rubber wear. An added plus, its very light, and easiest to mount imho

Negatives... maybe not carried by all vendors.. and usually you pay more for a michelin. Its my go to tire now... love the front and rear, and the medium rear has a wide usable range if you ride more hard pack tracks more often and lasts great too. mx52 is great durability... great grip on hard, but poor on sand/soft or loamy vs sc5 medium

All in all, Pirelli is stellar grip on the rear, Maybe best, but durability on it for me makes it fall behind michelin as my go to. Dunlop is the standard to judge by for sure.. but these new michelins I think are better for avg joe
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/2/2017 9:10am
Interesting reading your review. I'm currently running the StarCross soft and I don't get front traction at all. I've tried from 14psi to 12 and it feels like the front will just push or maybe it's the tire rolling over?

Anyone else have a difficult time getting comfortable on the SC soft? I rode 3 days with them and just bought MX3S to switch back to. Very disappointed!
tempura
3/2/2017 3:33pm
I've never used the soft, only the medium
cslacker
3/3/2017 7:30am
Interesting reading your review. I'm currently running the StarCross soft and I don't get front traction at all. I've tried from 14psi to 12 and it...
Interesting reading your review. I'm currently running the StarCross soft and I don't get front traction at all. I've tried from 14psi to 12 and it feels like the front will just push or maybe it's the tire rolling over?

Anyone else have a difficult time getting comfortable on the SC soft? I rode 3 days with them and just bought MX3S to switch back to. Very disappointed!
Michelin recommends 15+ psi for the front. I am running a mousse in the front and it hooks up great. I would start there. The sidewalls on these are really soft.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/3/2017 7:31am
Interesting reading your review. I'm currently running the StarCross soft and I don't get front traction at all. I've tried from 14psi to 12 and it...

cslacker wrote:
Michelin recommends 15+ psi for the front. I am running a mousse in the front and it hooks up great. I would start there. The sidewalls...
Michelin recommends 15+ psi for the front. I am running a mousse in the front and it hooks up great. I would start there. The sidewalls on these are really soft.
Ok thanks, I'll give them one last try tomorrow. What are they thinking for rear PSI?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/5/2017 8:29am
With the Starcross soft I went with 15 front and 14 rear at Cahuilla Creek MX. The front felt much better, but the second you hit a hard spot on the track it feels like you're on ice. They aren't terrible tires, but I wouldn't buy them again unless I was riding a full bottomless sand track all the time. I'm going back to the Dunlop MX3S
Ted722
3/5/2017 10:26am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2017 10:27am
With the Starcross soft I went with 15 front and 14 rear at Cahuilla Creek MX. The front felt much better, but the second you hit...
With the Starcross soft I went with 15 front and 14 rear at Cahuilla Creek MX. The front felt much better, but the second you hit a hard spot on the track it feels like you're on ice. They aren't terrible tires, but I wouldn't buy them again unless I was riding a full bottomless sand track all the time. I'm going back to the Dunlop MX3S
Haven't tried the new Michelin's, but just in general over the years, I've always come back to Dunlops vs Michelin front for that very reason. If the Dunlop starts losing traction, it's more gradual. Michelin, no warning, traction lost.

I am interested in the softer sidewall from Michelin, though, for my lighter 2-strokes. They've really beefed up the sidewalls over the years!
smoothies862
Fantasy
745th
3/5/2017 4:34pm
I am using the starcross 5 meds. love them. plenty of hours and wear is great. I put them on ez peezy. I'm not great at tires but they were very easy to install.
bummed I missed the eks brand deal. bought the tires then a week later or so they came with goggles,lol.
Turbojez
5/26/2017 3:14am
Ill be releasing a video shootout of mx32 vs mx3s vs starcross5 (sc5) soft in about a month or so. but my personal 2 cents... mx32...
Ill be releasing a video shootout of mx32 vs mx3s vs starcross5 (sc5) soft in about a month or so.

mx32 hooks up amazing on a wide variety of condition in the rear. Front isnt as good as mx3s or other fronts. purely off grip, the rear is stellar
lifespan sucks for me. 10 hours or under always see cracking on side knobbies... after 15 hours its totaly toast.. knobbies usually gone.

mx3s is good rear tire. IMHO grip not the best durability is pretty good for a soft terrain tire. My complaint is side to side grip, not forwars bite issues. for riders who like to "back the bike" into a turn, its the best tire. but turning on the gas across the track or up a jump it feels skatey. the front mx3s is stellar on pure sand/soft soft. ultra grabby on tacky (good for some bad for others -will climb ruts) and bad on hardpack imho

sc5 is awesome rear tire, awesome front. Front is versatile, not quite as good on pure sand as mx3s, same in soft/loamy, much better on hard pack. rear i think is similar to mx3s except better side to side bite. Good durability, doesnt chunk easily, mostly just normal rubber wear. An added plus, its very light, and easiest to mount imho

Negatives... maybe not carried by all vendors.. and usually you pay more for a michelin. Its my go to tire now... love the front and rear, and the medium rear has a wide usable range if you ride more hard pack tracks more often and lasts great too. mx52 is great durability... great grip on hard, but poor on sand/soft or loamy vs sc5 medium

All in all, Pirelli is stellar grip on the rear, Maybe best, but durability on it for me makes it fall behind michelin as my go to. Dunlop is the standard to judge by for sure.. but these new michelins I think are better for avg joe
Hey Derek,

A bump to an old thread, did you make that video comparison yet? I'm on the fence with the tire choice, I ran dunlop MX3S in the past and really liked the traction they provided, but a huge downside is the front tire losing knobbies on the sides pretty fast.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/26/2017 6:36am
Ill be releasing a video shootout of mx32 vs mx3s vs starcross5 (sc5) soft in about a month or so. but my personal 2 cents... mx32...

Turbojez wrote:
Hey Derek, A bump to an old thread, did you make that video comparison yet? I'm on the fence with the tire choice, I ran dunlop...
Hey Derek,

A bump to an old thread, did you make that video comparison yet? I'm on the fence with the tire choice, I ran dunlop MX3S in the past and really liked the traction they provided, but a huge downside is the front tire losing knobbies on the sides pretty fast.
I went back to Dunlops. They have a $20 rebait going on now .
r.sal923
5/26/2017 10:20am
med starcross 5 is good tire. Only have used it off road. Only complaint is it is a 2 ply tire (I think). It is a weak carcass that cuts easy on shale. I use the x40 Bridgestone on my moto bike. They are a great tire for moto. They work well but not so good on loose dirt. Both tires last longer than dunlops by 2x.
BobPA
5/27/2017 10:56pm
I cannot believe anyone is recommending the mx3s over the starcross 5's. The dunlops are not even in the same ball park...The Dunlop front is ok, but does not hold a candle to the Michelin anywhere.

Turbojez
5/29/2017 2:35pm
BobPA wrote:
I cannot believe anyone is recommending the mx3s over the starcross 5's. The dunlops are not even in the same ball park...The Dunlop front is ok...
I cannot believe anyone is recommending the mx3s over the starcross 5's. The dunlops are not even in the same ball park...The Dunlop front is ok, but does not hold a candle to the Michelin anywhere.

So which ones do you recommend? I have a set of wheels for hardpack and leaning towards a set of soft starcross 5's to go on the other wheelset. Are they much better than mediums? I ride sandy tracks mostly and really liked the MX3S dunlops I had on my previous bike, other than side knobbies falling off pretty soon...

Post a reply to: starcross 5's vs pirelli mx32

The Latest