kx 450 bad clucth or tranny?

duckonquack
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 8:08pm
Hey guys so today I was riding my kx 450 and after starting it up about 20 min after my first practice session it lost all the speed from 2nd gear and up. So when I shift from 1st to 2nd it still feels like it is in 1st even when I shift into 6th gear. We did the clutch pushrod modification last week (Reason for pushrod modification is that oil cant get through the pushrod passages and to the pushrod bearing when is it hot, so your supposed to grind down 1 side on both ends to let oil through) and then rode it for a 2 hour enduro with no issues. then today after 1 practice session while riding back to my truck I heard the whirring again from the expanded pushrod and the bearing rubbing with no oil and it was pretty loud. I let the bike cool down and after trying to start it up was when I had the problem. The bike is a 2015 kx 450 with 56 hours on it and no engine maintenance (stock everything). Is this problem from the clutch or the tranny? Im able to work on a clutch but not to comfortable with a tranny so I would have to take it in. Also I know the stock clutches on these bikes are not to strong. Thoughts?
|
Acidreamer
5/27/2017 10:32pm
take your clutch out and examine it. If its worn it might not work at all or just slip all the time. Doubt this is the cause.

If the bike isnt changing gears you can look at the gear changing mechanism under the right side cover. Its not that hard of a thing to take apart. Drain your coolant and oil. See if any springs broke or something else did. you shouldnt have to split cases and actually go inside the transmission.
duckonquack
5/28/2017 8:28am
Acidreamer wrote:
take your clutch out and examine it. If its worn it might not work at all or just slip all the time. Doubt this is the...
take your clutch out and examine it. If its worn it might not work at all or just slip all the time. Doubt this is the cause.

If the bike isnt changing gears you can look at the gear changing mechanism under the right side cover. Its not that hard of a thing to take apart. Drain your coolant and oil. See if any springs broke or something else did. you shouldnt have to split cases and actually go inside the transmission.
when i put it on the stand and change gears with my hand and spin the tires it will go through all six gears, ill look at the clucth today
duckonquack
5/28/2017 4:58pm
Just pulled the clutch playes out, dont have a micrometer to measure the thickness of the fibres but the metal friction plate is yellow and black. looks pretty burned. Would this be enough clutch wear to warrant the problems im having. Major clutch slippage?

Paw Paw
5/28/2017 8:34pm
That looks like it has been getting hot most likely due to slippage.
With this showing so much heat, I would guess that the fibers are worn also.
What oil are you using? The incorrect oil can cause slippage and heat.

Paw Paw

The Shop

duckonquack
5/28/2017 9:40pm
Paw Paw wrote:
That looks like it has been getting hot most likely due to slippage. With this showing so much heat, I would guess that the fibers are...

Paw Paw
oil is castrol power 1 5w-40 full synthetic, also the clutch is the stock one with 50+ hours on it. just had a 2 hour enduro last week with heavy clutch abuse
Acidreamer
5/30/2017 8:10am
Paw Paw wrote:
That looks like it has been getting hot most likely due to slippage. With this showing so much heat, I would guess that the fibers are...

Paw Paw
oil is castrol power 1 5w-40 full synthetic, also the clutch is the stock one with 50+ hours on it. just had a 2 hour enduro...
oil is castrol power 1 5w-40 full synthetic, also the clutch is the stock one with 50+ hours on it. just had a 2 hour enduro last week with heavy clutch abuse
Yep not the right oil. You cant use synthetic from autozone. You have to buy oil specifically for wet clutches or it will slip. Id replace your clutch plates, and get some amsoil or maxima. a lot of people use rotella t4 i think is the one. My autozone carries t4-t6. Im sure yours does too.
duckonquack
5/31/2017 6:35pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
oil is castrol power 1 5w-40 full synthetic, also the clutch is the stock one with 50+ hours on it. just had a 2 hour enduro...
Acidreamer wrote:
Yep not the right oil. You cant use synthetic from autozone. You have to buy oil specifically for wet clutches or it will slip. Id replace...
Yep not the right oil. You cant use synthetic from autozone. You have to buy oil specifically for wet clutches or it will slip. Id replace your clutch plates, and get some amsoil or maxima. a lot of people use rotella t4 i think is the one. My autozone carries t4-t6. Im sure yours does too.
interesting... my mechanic at the local shop recommended me that oil knowing it was for a competition style dirt bike. Ill have to ask him about that next time I go in there.
RGaede
5/31/2017 8:08pm
As long as your using the motorcycle power 1, you can run it, it's even the recommended oil I'm my 2016 kx450f owners manual

Acidreamer
6/1/2017 2:49am
As above. Ive always had better luck with amsoil and maxima compared to something like suzuki oil or kawasaki oil. I also run 10w-40 in my kx450. Never 5w-40

Post a reply to: kx 450 bad clucth or tranny?

The Latest