Transmission Shaft REmoval

rocket0322
Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 7:34pm
Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get the shaft within the case out of the bearing? I will include a photo of what I'm taking about. I have removed all the gears and circlips but I just cannot get that shaft to free from the bearing. Should I heat the bearing race holder screws up and just remove the whole shaft and bearing together then try to remove the bearing or can I get just the shaft out?

|
karlz
6/29/2017 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 1:32pm
Never had this problem, but if it was my bike I would use my crankcase separating tool to press out the shaft from the bearing.

www.karlzracing.com
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
6/30/2017 6:02am
karlz wrote:
Never had this problem, but if it was my bike I would use my crankcase separating tool to press out the shaft from the bearing.

www.karlzracing.com
Website dead.
ianhendry46
6/30/2017 6:05am
A rubber mallet and be easy. Also rock side to side and front to back. The shaft is centered in the bearing, but it will come off. Just light tap on the shafte while having someone hold it off of a table maybe an inch or so
sandman768
6/30/2017 6:19am
I would remove bearing retainer/screws, should be replacing the bearing anyway, heat the case/bearing slightly, then lightly tap the end of the shaft with plastic mallet. , the direction the bearing comes out of the case, You don't want to break the case!! If the bearing comes out with the shaft, you will be able to get it off with a harmonic balance puller

The Shop

Acidreamer
6/30/2017 6:46am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 6:54am
Use a nut on the end, and use a slide hammer to pull it out. Harbor freight has a slide hammer with 3 hooks on it that can grab the nut.

You can also try using a deadblow hammer to pound it out the other side. Maybe remove the bearing with it so you dont risk damaging the case.

Do not use heat as both the bearing and that shaft are the same material. They will expand together. Heat works for bearings and the case because the aluminum expands much quicker than hardened steel and creates a big enough gap.

Hope one of these helps
rocket0322
6/30/2017 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 4:23pm
I got it out, guys thanks! I tried all the methods mentioned here but it did not budge! I finally got pissed enough that I grabbed a 3# sledge and gave it a whack and out it came.....along with the bearing retainer (broke). But I was able to get the screws out that held the retainer in which I couldn't yesterday!!! No threads were damaged nor was the shaft! I was actually shocked!

It appears the bearing galled onto the shaft. I don't understand that, though, as it's bathed in oil!! Maybe someone used the wrong sized bearing??

Oh, had to Dremel cut the bearing off in pieces as well.

Thanks, guys, for the help!
Rockinar
6/30/2017 7:29pm
rocket0322 wrote:
I got it out, guys thanks! I tried all the methods mentioned here but it did not budge! I finally got pissed enough that I grabbed...
I got it out, guys thanks! I tried all the methods mentioned here but it did not budge! I finally got pissed enough that I grabbed a 3# sledge and gave it a whack and out it came.....along with the bearing retainer (broke). But I was able to get the screws out that held the retainer in which I couldn't yesterday!!! No threads were damaged nor was the shaft! I was actually shocked!

It appears the bearing galled onto the shaft. I don't understand that, though, as it's bathed in oil!! Maybe someone used the wrong sized bearing??

Oh, had to Dremel cut the bearing off in pieces as well.

Thanks, guys, for the help!
The wrong bearing was not in there. You just used the wrong tool and no patience resulting in ruining your case in the process..
rocket0322
6/30/2017 7:34pm
No, Rock, I didn't damage the case! I broke the bearing retainer but ordered a new one! Nothing at all wrong with the case.

Post a reply to: Transmission Shaft REmoval

The Latest