Suzuki RM triple clamps options for 48mm forks?

Turbojez
6/5/2017 4:13am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 2:18pm
Hi Guys,

Anyone tried to convert late model RM 250's to use 48mm Showa forks? Mine's an 05.
I have a pair of KXF forks with ohlins cartridges inside, and the axle size fits, seems like the brake caliper should fit as well, the only issue being triple clamps. Is there any option to just drop in triple clamps from any other bike, or would boring out the clamps I have now (scar billet clamps) be a better option?
|
RussB
Fantasy
866th
6/5/2017 5:19am
Boring out your triples would be the best way to go, you wont need to mess around with steering stems and getting steering stops sorted. However once bored out you wont be able to use the triples to hold the stock RM forks again, so would be handy to have a spare set.

I bored 1mm out of the lower triple clamp on my RM250 so that I could fit an RMZ front end. I've had no issues with this modification.
However if you do go this route, it is 100% worth spending the money and getting the job done by a professional machine shop with good equipment.
Turbojez
6/30/2017 3:15pm
Thanks for your help RussB! What would you do if the upper clamp is actually bigger in diameter than the showa 48mm fork? Is it safe to make a proper thickness shim and run with it?
RussB
Fantasy
866th
7/2/2017 11:53pm
You can and I have tried it on my RM. I bought some 0.5mm steel sheet and made a shim for it so I could fit the standard forks back into the bored out clamps. I'm confident it would work, but it just feels like a bit of a bodge haha. So I guess it depends how fussy you are with that sort of thing. I've read other people using shims to hold forks so its nothing new.
Turbojez
7/3/2017 2:01am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 2:01am
RussB wrote:
You can and I have tried it on my RM. I bought some 0.5mm steel sheet and made a shim for it so I could fit...
You can and I have tried it on my RM. I bought some 0.5mm steel sheet and made a shim for it so I could fit the standard forks back into the bored out clamps. I'm confident it would work, but it just feels like a bit of a bodge haha. So I guess it depends how fussy you are with that sort of thing. I've read other people using shims to hold forks so its nothing new.
Thank you Russ, I'm starting to lean more towards revalving the stock 47mm showas and selling the ohlins. After giving it a second thought, boring out the lower clamps and shimming the uppers seems kinda sketchy.

The Shop

7/3/2017 12:41pm
i have a set of works Rmz clamps for sale.
same bearing size on the stem like the RM.
it uses the new model Rmz fender and front plate . wil check the bore size tomorrow if you are interested.

Turbojez
7/3/2017 2:18pm
i have a set of works Rmz clamps for sale. same bearing size on the stem like the RM. it uses the new model Rmz fender...
i have a set of works Rmz clamps for sale.
same bearing size on the stem like the RM.
it uses the new model Rmz fender and front plate . wil check the bore size tomorrow if you are interested.

Wonder if it's the same offset as RM? Is it stamped anywhere on the triples? Yes, please check the bores and let me know Wink

Post a reply to: Suzuki RM triple clamps options for 48mm forks?

The Latest