Stiff clutch fixes?

Bike in question is a 2015 CRF250R.

Over the last two years the clutch pull has gotten stiffer with time it seems. At this point I have tried a few basic fixes. Such as replacing the clutch kit with OEM/Tusk kits, clutch cable and adjustments. To no avail of course. So here I am, back on vital. Where I hate to post without some form of a syntax guide nearby.

I was considering the Hinson relocation kit and a hydraulic clutch, but I am not able to find either of those products for my specific year model. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
|
4/25/2017 9:44am
Have you tried lubricating the clutch lever pivot? I can always feel a dry lever pivot and it drives me nuts. Take the lever off, clean and inspect it and the pivot bolt. If either is worn, replace them. Reassemble with plenty of grease. Also put a dab of grease on the cable end barrel as it rotates slightly and can cause excess friction.
4/25/2017 9:52am
Have you tried lubricating the clutch lever pivot? I can always feel a dry lever pivot and it drives me nuts. Take the lever off, clean...
Have you tried lubricating the clutch lever pivot? I can always feel a dry lever pivot and it drives me nuts. Take the lever off, clean and inspect it and the pivot bolt. If either is worn, replace them. Reassemble with plenty of grease. Also put a dab of grease on the cable end barrel as it rotates slightly and can cause excess friction.
Then inspect the cable for kinks or pinch marks then use a good lube and lube the cable and make sure it moves smoothly thru the entire length of the cable.
4/25/2017 10:02am
I found fairly dramatic differences with cable routing. My cable was by no means kinked, but by moving it in front of or behind such things as rad mount bolts it straightened out the path enough to make it pull much easier.
4/25/2017 10:22am
I appreciate the insight. The perch, lever, adjustment bolt and cable all probably have about 5 hours total on it. I haven't applied lubrication to the pivot bolt or cable though. Will certainly give that a try. As for the routing of the cable, it seems to be the best way from point A to point B as far as I can see. In order to route it elsewhere I may need a little cable length.

Thanks y'all for the replies. I will update after the above has been attempted.

The Shop

1HRCrider
4/25/2017 11:37am
Get a Magura Hydraulic clutch. Go down to your local Honda dealer and have him order you one. About $300 No more hard clutch pull.
4/25/2017 12:22pm
1HRCrider wrote:
Get a Magura Hydraulic clutch. Go down to your local Honda dealer and have him order you one. About $300 No more hard clutch pull.
Through that HookIt site I have support from Magura offering 40% off. I accepted this offer in hopes of getting it at a lower cost. However, they do not have one listed for my specific year model. Would the local Honda shop have more access to their inventory than what's listed online for some reason?
crc245
4/25/2017 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 9:20pm
If it were me, I would make a few changes before going hydraulic: Lube pivots and cable, as others have advised. Replace clutch cable with OEM replacement even. Take out the Tusk clutch kit and only run Hinson/OEM components. If you have an aftermarket lever, check to make sure the ratio/pull is applicable for your bike. If not OE, what components do you have?

See here: https://arclevers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1&sear…

Most companies offer unique ratios; this can make a huge difference in feel and actuation.

Also, Hinson sells a "cable bracket", which may take out some of the cable flex for you:

http://hinsonracing.com/shop/?filtering=1&filter_machine-type=16&filter…

Good Luck and please keep us updated
1HRCrider
4/26/2017 12:33am
1HRCrider wrote:
Through that HookIt site I have support from Magura offering 40% off. I accepted this offer in hopes of getting it at a lower cost. However...
Through that HookIt site I have support from Magura offering 40% off. I accepted this offer in hopes of getting it at a lower cost. However, they do not have one listed for my specific year model. Would the local Honda shop have more access to their inventory than what's listed online for some reason?
I checked Magura site looking for one for 17 Honda CRF450R, couldn't find it, but dealer able to get. Did you try calling them?
hassbeen
Fantasy
3833rd
4/26/2017 2:07am
Disconnect the cable from the lever and clutch assembly & test if it slides smoothly. I've has a clutch cable with low hours break a single thread causing stiffness in the cable.
Turbojez
4/26/2017 4:57am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 4:58am
I rode my buddies CRF recently, exact same year as yours and the clutch was smooth as butter., 1 finger pull, totally comparable to KTMs hydraulic. Fresh, lubed cable and lever + OEM clutch in decent shape. It had a terrible pull at first (when me and my buddy were picking up the bike for him) but it turned out it had a wrong clutch cable installed when he bought this bike, new cable solved that issue.
4/26/2017 12:13pm
I haven't attempted to call Magura yet. Planned on doing so today. Hopefully there has been a lapse in site updates. That 40% discount would be great if I decided to go that route.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Gonna try to give some of the costless options a try this afternoon. I'll provide an update hopefully later tonight.
4/26/2017 8:56pm
Little update for those who've requested.

Greased pivot bolt, cable slides smooth throughout, lubricated the cable, greased end barrel. Resolved any grit feeling for sure. A lot smoother pull and feel. No decrease in stiffness though.

I did however find slight relief in creating a straighter path for the cable. I zip tied the cable to the strap that wraps around the bar pad from the number plate and ran it around one of the radiator mounts. Still not ideal though.

For what it's worth, I'm running a motion pro cable with msr clutch lever and perch. The lever seems extremely long. Not sure of measurement on it. Plan to get OEM clutches ordered when I get paid Friday.

Thanks for all the help thus far and keep the ideas coming guys.
4/27/2017 4:04am
I replaced the OEM clutch cable once on my YZF with a Motion Pro cable. The stock cable was a few years old and i decided to replace it before it gave me problems. With the Motion Pro cable the pull was noticeably stiffer. I immediately called the Yamaha dealer and ordered an OEM cable. When i installed the replacement OEM cable my lever pull was as light as when it was new.
tempura
4/27/2017 4:51am
I don't recommend motion pro cables.
Stick with OEM.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/27/2017 7:35am
Little update for those who've requested. Greased pivot bolt, cable slides smooth throughout, lubricated the cable, greased end barrel. Resolved any grit feeling for sure. A...

Greased pivot bolt, cable slides smooth throughout, lubricated the cable, greased end barrel. Resolved any grit feeling for sure. A lot smoother pull and feel. No decrease in stiffness though.

I did however find slight relief in creating a straighter path for the cable. I zip tied the cable to the strap that wraps around the bar pad from the number plate and ran it around one of the radiator mounts. Still not ideal though.

For what it's worth, I'm running a motion pro cable with msr clutch lever and perch. The lever seems extremely long. Not sure of measurement on it. Plan to get OEM clutches ordered when I get paid Friday.

Did you go back to OEM Lever and perch? I've had problems with aftermarket levers or perch not having the correct pull ratio making it feel very stiff.
ricko
4/27/2017 9:40am
Little update for those who've requested. Greased pivot bolt, cable slides smooth throughout, lubricated the cable, greased end barrel. Resolved any grit feeling for sure. A...

Did you go back to OEM Lever and perch? I've had problems with aftermarket levers or perch not having the correct pull ratio making it feel...
Did you go back to OEM Lever and perch? I've had problems with aftermarket levers or perch not having the correct pull ratio making it feel very stiff.
I would also suspect the aft mkt cable and perch to make it feel odd. OEM cable and OEM perch/lever or ARC is all I would recommend.
Skerby
4/27/2017 12:39pm
+1 for OEM lever and perch. It doesn't get much better than the stock setup.

Post a reply to: Stiff clutch fixes?

The Latest