How to wash bikes in a HOA?

oceantrav
7/14/2017 4:02am
How are y'all washing bikes in a hoa?

Sold my house on 3/4 of an acre, and moving into a new one with a small front and back yard, that is all green. Have a buddy in the same situation, and he takes them to the car wash, that won't work for me.

I'm assuming if I do it in the driveway, then with the mud run off neighbors will get mad.

I'm thinking some kind of platform in the back, maybe like a grate that dirt falls though?
|
sandman768
7/14/2017 5:03am
My house in fla. has an Hoa.....Someone will find something to bitch about no matter what... Wash away, then start it up to dry it out......that's what I do....funny story.....when I first moved in, the guy across the street was concerned about the new guy with the dirt bike.....5 years later.... The squatter got evicted & I"m still there.....with my bikes.....
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
7/14/2017 5:18am
Was in this situation once. If the bike had much dirt caked on it, I will put the air box cover in at the track and stop at the car wash for a quick spray down. Then would hose it and hand wash back at the house.
mxstate
7/14/2017 5:20am
Same here. I'm in FL in HOA community. I usually wash the bike at the track but once in a while would do this home. I got a fenced backyard but clean the bike on the front one because it's closer to the garage. Neighbors are ok and the "HOA patrol" never said anything .
I keep our property nice and tidy . If I start the bike to dry it I do this during reasonable hours .

It really boils down to how reasonnable everybody is (or not).
Technically the HOA can stop you to do a lot of things. Got some buddies who live in these communities where the grumpy seniors will get you a warning letter if the grass is 1/2"inch above their standard....
oceantrav
7/14/2017 5:23am
mxstate wrote:
Same here. I'm in FL in HOA community. I usually wash the bike at the track but once in a while would do this home. I...
Same here. I'm in FL in HOA community. I usually wash the bike at the track but once in a while would do this home. I got a fenced backyard but clean the bike on the front one because it's closer to the garage. Neighbors are ok and the "HOA patrol" never said anything .
I keep our property nice and tidy . If I start the bike to dry it I do this during reasonable hours .

Technically the HOA can stop you to do a lot of things. Got some buddies who live in these communities where the grumpy seniors will get you a warning letter if the grass is 1/2"inch above their standard....
I'm liking the washing the bike at the track idea...

Just got a Moto van, maybe figure out a way to mount a water tank. Would be more motivated now too, always wanted to do it in the past

The Shop

Acidreamer
7/14/2017 6:12am
Hoa or not, someone is going to complain because youre having fun and living life. It comes with the territory of 2 wheeled vehicles. In the most polite way possible, tell them to fuck off. Otherwise you will see them over and over again.
7/14/2017 7:35am
Why surround yourselves with these people and troubles?
mattman631
7/14/2017 7:50am
I have no HOA where I live, I spend a decent amount of money to have my front yard looking like a golf course landscaping etc., while my neighbor has a rain forest growing in his yard...anyway, I wash my bikes in my driveway then once the the mud drys up I scoop it into the trashcan. Im sure my neighbors hated me when I was taking drags up and down the hood while trying to dial in my rekluse Laughing
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/14/2017 7:54am
I live in a townhouse with shared driveway in front of my garage and if my bike gets lots of dirt/mud caked on it I rinse it at a car wash first so I can avoid a bunch of dirt flowing down the driveway. If it's normal day of riding I just spray it off in front of my garage and wash it normally then spray any left over dirt off the side of the driveway.
oceantrav
7/14/2017 8:45am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2017 8:51am
526 wrote:
Why surround yourselves with these people and troubles?
For my 3 young kids. Every house has kids for them to play with. Huge pool with a water slide, etc

My last house on 3/4 of an acre was cool. Could do what ever I want, and could park trailers there. No kids close by, and my kids were the only ones at the bus stop. Doing yard work sucked too there.

Pros and cons to an hoa for sure. This point in my life though, it's a good fit
Barrett57
7/14/2017 9:35am
I have no space to wash my bike at my house either.

I take a generator, water tank and electric jetwash with me to the track and wash it after riding, if you have a van then its really easy to do.
Bruce372
7/14/2017 9:40am
i bought an electric pressure washer from homedepot for just over $100 since its less noisy.
oceantrav
7/14/2017 9:45am
Barrett57 wrote:
I have no space to wash my bike at my house either. I take a generator, water tank and electric jetwash with me to the track...
I have no space to wash my bike at my house either.

I take a generator, water tank and electric jetwash with me to the track and wash it after riding, if you have a van then its really easy to do.
Ya, I just found 30 gallon blue barrels for $15 near me, and maybe get a 55 gallon for my trailer. Do that for now till I decide if I want a custom tank under the seat or something.

Now to decide between electric or gas power washer.

I already have a electric. Have read they need a pump on the tank to work. Plus I'd have to bring a generator every time.

Leaning towards the $300 ryobi gas with a Honda engine at Home Depot, would be like $270 after military discount.
Barrett57
7/14/2017 10:06am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2017 10:06am
It's the best way, if your going to have to buy a generator anyway buying a petrol jetwash is the way to go.

I don't know what it's like where you live but over here bikes get stolen all the time. It's an added bonus people won't see you washing a bike in public at a jetwash or outside your house. Much less likely for so some scum bag to steal it.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/14/2017 10:48am
Unless your HOA expressly forbids washing of vehicles in the driveway, do it there. make sure to sweep and/or wash every speck of dirt off your driveway. When the HOA comes to the door with a letter asking you to cease & desist (and they will,) politely ask them to commit hara-kiri on your porch. Let them know you'll clean the blood with your pressure washer and the neighborhood will still look nice and tidy.

A dream of mine is to one day get elected as president of an HOA with some like-minded friends as officers, so I can move to dissolve the association immediately. All in favor? AYE!
mxstate
7/14/2017 7:14pm
Falcon wrote:
Unless your HOA expressly forbids washing of vehicles in the driveway, do it there. make sure to sweep and/or wash every speck of dirt off your...
Unless your HOA expressly forbids washing of vehicles in the driveway, do it there. make sure to sweep and/or wash every speck of dirt off your driveway. When the HOA comes to the door with a letter asking you to cease & desist (and they will,) politely ask them to commit hara-kiri on your porch. Let them know you'll clean the blood with your pressure washer and the neighborhood will still look nice and tidy.

A dream of mine is to one day get elected as president of an HOA with some like-minded friends as officers, so I can move to dissolve the association immediately. All in favor? AYE!
LaughingLaughingLaughing +1!!!
Hudweiser9
7/15/2017 7:18am
mxstate wrote:
Same here. I'm in FL in HOA community. I usually wash the bike at the track but once in a while would do this home. I...

I also live in Ormond Beach, and there are HOA's everywhere you turn. My wife grew up in a subdivision called "The Trails" and she wanted to move back there when we started a family. I talked to a buddy of mine that lived there at the time and he said "Don't do it!" The golf cart Nazi's would be at your door 24-7. They once left him a letter about the color of his garden hose! It had to be Green, no other color allowed. Really!? We moved out into the "country" and I have no issues with washing my bikes, or even firing them up to dry them off or test riding.
mxstate
7/15/2017 11:01am
mxstate wrote:

Hudweiser9 wrote:
I also live in Ormond Beach, and there are HOA's everywhere you turn. My wife grew up in a subdivision called "The Trails" and she wanted...
I also live in Ormond Beach, and there are HOA's everywhere you turn. My wife grew up in a subdivision called "The Trails" and she wanted to move back there when we started a family. I talked to a buddy of mine that lived there at the time and he said "Don't do it!" The golf cart Nazi's would be at your door 24-7. They once left him a letter about the color of his garden hose! It had to be Green, no other color allowed. Really!? We moved out into the "country" and I have no issues with washing my bikes, or even firing them up to dry them off or test riding.
Funny I'm just a couple blocks away from the infamous "Trails" and have actually relatives leaving there.
The golf cart nazy cracked me up but it's sadly like that in many HOA.
Grass a bit too tall, color of your blinds not ok, trash can not in the right spot
I'm really lucky so far with mine as the "black van patrol" has been so far ok.
At the end of the day , there's the rules book and how some are just intolerant and have little common sense.
No rules or guidelines might lead to bad stuff I won't disagree.
I'm more annoyed by people driving freakin Harley's with straight pipes very early in the am or late at night .
I'lll keep washing my bikes and cars as I do and will use Falcon"s suggestion if they bug me.
Keith72
7/15/2017 1:55pm
oceantrav wrote:
Ya, I just found 30 gallon blue barrels for $15 near me, and maybe get a 55 gallon for my trailer. Do that for now till...
Ya, I just found 30 gallon blue barrels for $15 near me, and maybe get a 55 gallon for my trailer. Do that for now till I decide if I want a custom tank under the seat or something.

Now to decide between electric or gas power washer.

I already have a electric. Have read they need a pump on the tank to work. Plus I'd have to bring a generator every time.

Leaning towards the $300 ryobi gas with a Honda engine at Home Depot, would be like $270 after military discount.
I have the ryobi with the honda engine. Been using it for over a year now. No problems. I use that pump protector spray every now and then and before I put it away for long periods.
Braaaphole
7/15/2017 7:24pm
I have a pretty strict HOA and have never had an issue with washing my bikes. Honestly, if they did say something I'd call them up and tell them to suck it. No one is going to tell me I can wash my bike in my driveway.
lumpy790
7/16/2017 8:32am
Braaaphole wrote:
I have a pretty strict HOA and have never had an issue with washing my bikes. Honestly, if they did say something I'd call them up...
I have a pretty strict HOA and have never had an issue with washing my bikes. Honestly, if they did say something I'd call them up and tell them to suck it. No one is going to tell me I can wash my bike in my driveway.
If I can pressure wash my house why would a bike be any different? I wash mine in the back yard and the dirt just disappears into the grass.
Gale19XX
7/16/2017 9:39am
If my bike is pretty muddy, I swing by the car wash and spray it down quick while its still in the back of my truck (spraying out the bed as well afterwards). Then I clean the bike up a little nicer at the house with little to no dirt or mud left in the drive.
SURFGLOBE
7/20/2017 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2017 1:10pm
I live with strict HOA as well, but never any problems with washing the bike. I initially pressure wash in the grass and then pull it into the driveway to get to work on the details. I spray any leftover dirt into my yard.
Evoracer
7/20/2017 2:28pm
I used to rinse the dirt off the bikes in the yard. Now my front and side yard grass is elevated in areas. lol

Now I just rinse/wash in the driveway, flow the dirt to the gutter, wait a day for it to dry and then sweep it up. HOA has yet to bitch.
7/21/2017 3:14pm
Wash bike wherever you want, it shouldn't be any different than washing your car. You own the property.

Then, when you're done, make sure to clean your guns, particularly rifles and shotguns, while sitting on the front porch. Wave at the HOA Nazi in the golf cart with a big grin. Listen for ambulance to pick up heart attack victim within 10 minutes.

Done.
YamahaJT1
7/22/2017 7:47am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2017 7:49am
Wash bike wherever you want, it shouldn't be any different than washing your car. You own the property. Then, when you're done, make sure to clean...
Wash bike wherever you want, it shouldn't be any different than washing your car. You own the property.

Then, when you're done, make sure to clean your guns, particularly rifles and shotguns, while sitting on the front porch. Wave at the HOA Nazi in the golf cart with a big grin. Listen for ambulance to pick up heart attack victim within 10 minutes.

Done.
Additionally, wearing a neon yellow Speedo® "Banana Hammock" while washing your bike will expedite the process...
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
7/22/2017 4:04pm
I have lived in the same neighborhood for 27 years,it's a neighborhood of 32 homes.Most of the residents have lived in here for over 15 years.When I moved it it had an HOA, after about three years a bunch of the residents got together and went door to door and convinced the others in the neighborhood that we didn't need silly rules.
Last week a new family moves in and is going door to door wanting to start up the HOA again.Seems they don't like a few of us who have dirt bikes (all street legal) riding them out of the neighborhood to go ride in the mountains a few miles away. When they came to my house my wife said she would not sign a petition to start an HOA and that her husband wouldn't either,well they came back to talk to me and I told them no and then asked how many signatures they had collected,the reply was zero,but were going to keep trying. I told them they might have moved into the wrong neighborhood.
Depending on the people in the neighborhood HOAs can be good or bad.
Wash your bike at home and see what happens,you can always your bike your bathtub.Wink
VxeR
7/23/2017 8:44am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 8:47am
Why not go to a car wash? I live in an apartment and I always wash my bikes at the car wash, It's really common here, all my friends do it too.

And if you really don't want to, doesn't your local track have pressure washers on site? All the ones I know do.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/24/2017 11:21am
VxeR wrote:
Why not go to a car wash? I live in an apartment and I always wash my bikes at the car wash, It's really common here...
Why not go to a car wash? I live in an apartment and I always wash my bikes at the car wash, It's really common here, all my friends do it too.

And if you really don't want to, doesn't your local track have pressure washers on site? All the ones I know do.
Italy must be very different. I've raced or ridden at 20+ tracks and I can only think of one that had running water available, much less a pressure washer.
oceantrav
7/24/2017 11:31am
VxeR wrote:
Why not go to a car wash? I live in an apartment and I always wash my bikes at the car wash, It's really common here...

Falcon wrote:
Italy must be very different. I've raced or ridden at 20+ tracks and I can only think of one that had running water available, much less...
Italy must be very different. I've raced or ridden at 20+ tracks and I can only think of one that had running water available, much less a pressure washer.
The U.S. is the same way. Hardly any have water, and never seen an available pressure washer.

Lots of people bring water tanks and pressure washers with them In they're trailers though

Post a reply to: How to wash bikes in a HOA?

The Latest