Fork coatings

Edited Date/Time 8/28/2018 4:36pm
Hey guys looking at having my forks and shock redone since I won't be riding during the Ohio winter. I want the Kashima Coates outer fork tubes and shock body done and I believe it is the Titanium Nitrate coating on the shock shaft and fork sliders. I found SRS suspension here in Ohio can do it for me at a reasonable price. Just wondering what the advantages of this procedure is. Less friction is what I've been able to gather so far. I know it's not mandatory to have this done but it looks amazing and I always said I wanted my bike to look like a factory race bike so why not. Anyways just wanted some input on the coatings and some reviews on SRS suspension

|
kwenske321
8/13/2017 7:50pm
I had my fork tubes and shock body Kashima coated. It's looks amazing! You will not be disappointed!

The Shop

mxb2
8/13/2017 7:55pm
FC did mine, coatings, kashima forks, , dlc , lowers , shock shaft, hardened fork lugs, plus their suspension service. Turned out great, I ll test after iron man national.
dmm698
8/14/2017 6:32am
If you just want the look cool bling factor sure, but you're wasting your money otherwise coating stock stuff.
8/14/2017 6:40am
mxb2 wrote:
FC did mine, coatings, kashima forks, , dlc , lowers , shock shaft, hardened fork lugs, plus their suspension service. Turned out great, I ll test...
FC did mine, coatings, kashima forks, , dlc , lowers , shock shaft, hardened fork lugs, plus their suspension service. Turned out great, I ll test after iron man national.
Very nice man I like it. You racing iron man then on Saturday at the pro national? I'll be there. Maybe I'll run into you in the pits
8/14/2017 6:41am
dmm698 wrote:
If you just want the look cool bling factor sure, but you're wasting your money otherwise coating stock stuff.
I've had it already revalved and resprung for me. But yeah I agree I would be wasting money to make it look cool but not like I haven't wasted money already lol
mxb2
8/14/2017 7:52am
mxb2 wrote:
FC did mine, coatings, kashima forks, , dlc , lowers , shock shaft, hardened fork lugs, plus their suspension service. Turned out great, I ll test...
Very nice man I like it. You racing iron man then on Saturday at the pro national? I'll be there. Maybe I'll run into you in...
Very nice man I like it. You racing iron man then on Saturday at the pro national? I'll be there. Maybe I'll run into you in the pits
Going to spectate.
mxb2
8/14/2017 7:53am
dmm698 wrote:
X2 mostly cosmetics, stock bikes are good enough for 90% in the world, I like building bikes.
8/14/2017 9:43am
dmm698 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
X2 mostly cosmetics, stock bikes are good enough for 90% in the world, I like building bikes.
Ahh gotcha. I agree with the cosmetics. I drool over the factory bikes so I figured why not. I can look at it in my garage while I have music cranked sipping on whiskey. Haha
FRANZINI499
8/14/2017 10:10am
There are performance and durability benefits to these coatings, but mainly on the lowers. Both coatings lower friction, making the fork work smoother and reduce wear due to a smoother surface. The main benefit is in the lowers, the Ti Nitride or DLC that would replace the stock hard chrome is much harder and less susceptible to rock chips and in turn making seals last longer and work smoother.
dmm698
8/14/2017 10:11am
Ahh gotcha. I agree with the cosmetics. I drool over the factory bikes so I figured why not. I can look at it in my garage...
Ahh gotcha. I agree with the cosmetics. I drool over the factory bikes so I figured why not. I can look at it in my garage while I have music cranked sipping on whiskey. Haha
most people would never notice, but as far as performance goes its a step in the negative direction was my point. I think it was bones bacon who recently even did an interview where he said you're much better off leaving stock stuff uncoated.
mxb2
8/14/2017 10:35am
dmm698 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Ahh gotcha. I agree with the cosmetics. I drool over the factory bikes so I figured why not. I can look at it in my garage...
Dlc , lower friction, tighter tolerances,but. mostly. Looks badazz, if ya got the $$, who cares. Your $$ and decision
r.sal923
8/14/2017 12:19pm
dmm698 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Or you could spend more money on whiskey and look at fork coatings on bikes on the internet.
mxb2
8/14/2017 1:14pm
mxb2 wrote:
r.sal923 wrote:
Or you could spend more money on whiskey and look at fork coatings on bikes on the internet.
No. Lol, at least the coatings last awhile,.
8/14/2017 1:42pm
r.sal923 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
No. Lol, at least the coatings last awhile,.

Agreed. The coatings will be a conversation piece haha
mxb2
8/14/2017 1:50pm
Fuck whiskey, get coatings. Yolo
Naanak
8/14/2017 3:36pm
How much did FC charge for the kashima?
Naanak
8/14/2017 6:36pm
Interesting article. But if he is against it, why do all the PC bikes have there suspension looking trick?
It's because as he states it's fine cause they're built originally with those coatings so the tolerances are all correct. When coating stock stuff as he's say there's many variables that can cause the tolerances to be off.
mxb2
8/14/2017 7:53pm
Bones says don't do it

Bones
Interesting article. But if he is against it, why do all the PC bikes have there suspension looking trick?

mxb2
8/14/2017 7:54pm
Real showa A kit Eric. My crf
Digger29
8/15/2017 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2017 3:41pm
My handmade one off cone valves with blue Ti-nitride lower sliders. I'm not sure if they work any better than the stock DLC coated lowers but they are trick looking though :-)

8/15/2017 3:46pm
Digger29 wrote:
My handmade one off cone valves with blue Ti-nitride lower sliders. I'm not sure if they work any better than the stock DLC coated lowers but...
My handmade one off cone valves with blue Ti-nitride lower sliders. I'm not sure if they work any better than the stock DLC coated lowers but they are trick looking though :-)

Man those look sick. I think I'm gonna say f*ck it this winter and do it
mxb2
8/15/2017 3:56pm
Digger29 wrote:
My handmade one off cone valves with blue Ti-nitride lower sliders. I'm not sure if they work any better than the stock DLC coated lowers but...

Sick.

Post a reply to: Fork coatings

The Latest