Does Heavier Oil Mean Hotter Temps?

mmain62
10/18/2017 5:51am
I have a 12' 350sxf and after reading our trustworthy vital forum I started putting Rotella diesel oil into my bike. it seems to smell hot after 4-5 laps or 20 minutes of riding about 85%. I am not a panic rev guy and I don't hold out low gears for ever. I bought the bike test rode it here and there and then changed the oil before ever doing a moto on it so I don't know if the amsoil it had in it ran cooler or not. Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Thanks in advance.
|
Acidreamer
10/18/2017 6:08am
I tried rotella this last oil change. I noticed my bike does not like it. Clutch feels different and it runs a touch hotter. Seems to take an extra kick to start too since its thicker. Im definitely going back to amsoil and maxima when i change it friday.
Paw Paw
10/18/2017 6:54am
Use Shell Rotella T6. If I had to guess, I would think that maybe you are using T4 and not T6 as T4 does have an odor to it that tells me it is breaking down. I use T6 in everything ( tractors, bikes, generators, motor home and lawn equipment) and love how it works. It looks new when I change it and has no odor.

Paw Paw
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
10/18/2017 7:12am
Were you using the same weight oil? If it was thicker I guess it would give the engine more resistance and run hotter.

It's funny, I normally run Rotella for like the last 4 years. I put Maxima in last weekbecause I had it around, but don't trust it. So going back to Rotella, hahaha
10/18/2017 7:22am
Thinner oils typically conduct and dissipate heat faster than comparatively thicker oils. This is partly due to their fluidity and more turbulent flowing characteristics.

There is a trade off when it comes to heat and viscosity. Aside from the flow characteristics I mentioned; thicker oils have more fluid friction and resistance which can produce heat, however they also have a stronger oil film and should reduce metal on metal friction. Thinner oils will have less fluid friction and offer less resistance, but their lower strength fluid film may increase metal on metal friction. However, going back to their conductive ability that friction may be off-set. This, among other things, is why there is usually a "right" viscosity for an application and just going with the thickest or the thinnest oil is not a good choice. A balance is needed.

What viscosity oils are you comparing?

The Shop

mmain62
10/18/2017 9:25am
Thanks guys,

MotoTribology: I believe the oil that came in it was the 10-50 amsoil synthetic Dirt Bike specific oil that he gave me with the purchase. I have been using 15-40 rotella t4. To be honest like PAW PAW said the last time I changed my oil it looked like I had just put it in there. Granted I have been changing it after every 2-3 ride days.
omalley
10/18/2017 10:34am
Rotella can smell funky when new. A lot of Dodge diesel guys would switch, then post “why does my truck smell” questions on the forum I was on when I had my truck.
Jrewing
10/18/2017 2:12pm
I'm switching to 50w over summer. Crf450
40 in winter
10/19/2017 7:58am
oil does not have a weight, 15w40 does not weight more than 5w40. V i s c o s i t y
10/19/2017 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2017 1:47pm
Thank goodness that's been cleared up.
10/26/2017 8:48am
mmain62 wrote:
I have a 12' 350sxf and after reading our trustworthy vital forum I started putting Rotella diesel oil into my bike. it seems to smell hot...
I have a 12' 350sxf and after reading our trustworthy vital forum I started putting Rotella diesel oil into my bike. it seems to smell hot after 4-5 laps or 20 minutes of riding about 85%. I am not a panic rev guy and I don't hold out low gears for ever. I bought the bike test rode it here and there and then changed the oil before ever doing a moto on it so I don't know if the amsoil it had in it ran cooler or not. Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Thanks in advance.
Is your Dirt Bike a Diesel? Just wondering why you would put Oil designed specifically for a Diesel truck in your Dirt Bike?

If they only made Oil specifically designed for your Dirt Bike application.
Paw Paw
10/26/2017 8:53am
mmain62 wrote:
I have a 12' 350sxf and after reading our trustworthy vital forum I started putting Rotella diesel oil into my bike. it seems to smell hot...
526 wrote:
Is your Dirt Bike a Diesel? Just wondering why you would put Oil designed specifically for a Diesel truck in your Dirt Bike? If they only...
Is your Dirt Bike a Diesel? Just wondering why you would put Oil designed specifically for a Diesel truck in your Dirt Bike?

The point is that you want to run the best oil possible. Just because an oil states it is for Diesel engines does not mean it is not to be used in other engine formations. Look at the oils specification and test results to find the best oil. In my book ( of over 50 years dealing with and working on dirt bikes) the best oil on the market today is Shell Rotella T6 oil.

Paw Paw
stone881
10/26/2017 6:39pm
mmain62 wrote:
526 wrote:
Is your Dirt Bike a Diesel? Just wondering why you would put Oil designed specifically for a Diesel truck in your Dirt Bike? If they only...

Paw Paw wrote:
The point is that you want to run the best oil possible. Just because an oil states it is for Diesel engines does not mean it...
The point is that you want to run the best oil possible. Just because an oil states it is for Diesel engines does not mean it is not to be used in other engine formations. Look at the oils specification and test results to find the best oil. In my book ( of over 50 years dealing with and working on dirt bikes) the best oil on the market today is Shell Rotella T6 oil.

Paw Paw
What viscosity T6 are you running Paw Paw?

BobPA
10/26/2017 8:39pm
Paw Paw wrote:
The point is that you want to run the best oil possible. Just because an oil states it is for Diesel engines does not mean it...

Paw Paw
Just because a bunch of internet heros use it, does not make is the best oil ever made. Until I see some actual factual tests, I refuse to believe it.

Rotella has an SSS like internet legend status. Supposedly the best ever, but no real proof
mmain62
10/27/2017 12:02pm
526 wrote:

HAHA Technically since they named Ryan Dungey the Diesel and he rode KTM. I am putting my bike in the same category. Honestly I read a lot of Rotella threads before trying it and decided to try it. My bike doesn't run any different it just smells like hot oil is all. That was the reason for my post.
Paw Paw
10/27/2017 12:49pm
526 wrote:

mmain62 wrote:
HAHA Technically since they named Ryan Dungey the Diesel and he rode KTM. I am putting my bike in the same category. Honestly I read a...
HAHA Technically since they named Ryan Dungey the Diesel and he rode KTM. I am putting my bike in the same category. Honestly I read a lot of Rotella threads before trying it and decided to try it. My bike doesn't run any different it just smells like hot oil is all. That was the reason for my post.
Like I said before....You must not be using T6, but rather T4 Rotella and yes it does smell. Try T6, you will love it.
I use 5w40 Shell Rotella in everything.

Paw Paw
Paw Paw
10/27/2017 12:51pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
BobPA wrote:
Just because a bunch of internet heros use it, does not make is the best oil ever made. Until I see some actual factual tests, I...
Just because a bunch of internet heros use it, does not make is the best oil ever made. Until I see some actual factual tests, I refuse to believe it.

Rotella has an SSS like internet legend status. Supposedly the best ever, but no real proof
If you will just take a minute and do a search for oil test results you will find the info.
Oh, by the way.....I am no "internet hero". I am an actual user that did the research as you should do.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Does Heavier Oil Mean Hotter Temps?

The Latest