Can i still go riding tomorrow?

Steel
Hi Guys,

I have a 1998 yz125 2 stroke that I want to bring to the track for the family to ride tomorrow. I just took apart the left fork, to replace the seal and dust seal etc. After taking apart the top part of tube,right under the air bleeder screw was about 25 rubber pieces that were broken up in tiny pieces in side a cup like area with another doughnut round plastic piece. Can i replace seal etc and put it all back together and ride tomorrow? Or will it damage the fork in some way?

We have been riding it lately, so my feeling is whatever the rubber piece was supposed to do, it was not doing anyways. It has been broken in pieces for a long time. This is the first time i replaced seals on this bike. They weren't even leaking, just doing proactive maintenance.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks in advance.

|
slipdog
9/23/2017 8:34pm
That is (or was...) the bottoming bumper for your fork, just like the bumper on your rear shock. Your forks will function like normal, but wont have the end stroke control it is designed for. You should replace them for sure.
Steel
9/23/2017 8:44pm
Thanks Slipdog. Would you still ride the bike tomorrow if you were in my shoes? I'll order the parts this week and install. Just a bummer, worked on the other bikes today, so it would be a bummer if we had one less bike to ride.
ktm-5
9/24/2017 12:38am
As long as no one is hitting big jumps and flat landing I would say go ride. Like you've said you've been riding so what's one more day, but like slipdog said it should be fixed after you ride tomorrow
slipdog
9/24/2017 8:13am
Agree with K5, I can't tell you how many I've seen that way that were being ridden until they needed seals replaced and it was discovered. Just like I see a lot of older shocks with no bumper left. It's not advisable to ride that way, but the shock and fork will still function without them.

Post a reply to: Can i still go riding tomorrow?

The Latest