Brand new 2017 yz250f needed valve adjustment??

I bought a 2017 yz250f 2-3 months ago proably about 10-15 hours on the engine (in total)just got done changing the oil about the 3rd time since I got it and I started it up checked the oil pressure it was all good brought it out the next day It wouldn't kick over at all... long story short I brought it to the place I bought it brand new they told me it has no compression and proably needs the valves adjusted they are charging me 220$ to do that and then told me if that doesn't work they are gonna have to tear the whole top end apart... how unusual is this? Will the same thing happen again in 10 hours? I also was wondering if it could just be the shims and I'm wasiting my money having them do adjusting thanks for help everyone
|
coastie44
1/10/2017 5:23pm
I bought a 2017 yz250f 2-3 months ago proably about 10-15 hours on the engine (in total)just got done changing the oil about the 3rd time...
I bought a 2017 yz250f 2-3 months ago proably about 10-15 hours on the engine (in total)just got done changing the oil about the 3rd time since I got it and I started it up checked the oil pressure it was all good brought it out the next day It wouldn't kick over at all... long story short I brought it to the place I bought it brand new they told me it has no compression and proably needs the valves adjusted they are charging me 220$ to do that and then told me if that doesn't work they are gonna have to tear the whole top end apart... how unusual is this? Will the same thing happen again in 10 hours? I also was wondering if it could just be the shims and I'm wasiting my money having them do adjusting thanks for help everyone
Those guys sounds like they don't know what the hell they are talking about!!

Yes, a hard to start 4 stroke could indeed be tight intake valves. But on a bike with 10-15 hours that is not so likely. And if it started after your oil change, there is not a chance in hell the intake valves all of a sudden tightened up and require adjustment.

There are a lot of other things that need to be checked first. A bike needs spark, fuel, and air and those should all be checked before you go tearing it the hell apart.

is there not a race shop near you??? Someone who knows MX bikes?
1/10/2017 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2017 5:35pm
I'm from AZ so it's at a place called RideNow pretty sure there in Texas and AZ they are a poweaports place that are pretty well know they sell everything from dirt bikes quads to street bikes and even rzrs I'm assuming they checked the fuel pump connection and spark the bike also had very little compression
BUT Once again I changed the oil and had to start it up to check oil pressure it started up fine 4 days later I take it out bike has little to no compression and won't turn over at all
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/11/2017 4:54am
Something doesn't sound right to me... is there another shop that you can bring it to? Oil change won't make your valves tighten up over night. maybe we are missing a part of the story?
1/11/2017 7:36am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2017 10:09am
Changed the oil it kicked over 2nd kick got done checking the oil pressure and I killed it, it wasn't touched engine wise at all after that.. I put new levers and a seat cover on over the weekend took it out Monday morning it had little to NO Compression and wouldn't turn over at all that's when I brought it to RideNow got called a few hours later with them telling me the bike has no compression which leads them to think it's the valves again it's 220$ for them to do that and then he was saying if that doesn't work they have to take the top end apart or some shit...This is my first new bike it seems pretty unheard of I have barely put 15 hours on the engine in TOTAL and something like this is happening? Will it happen again after another 15 hours are put on the motor? I'm somewhat familiar with these motors but no where near expert thanks for the help everyone (I also thought what I was hearing over the phone was a bit odd and didn't make sense but like I said I'm no expert they are supposed to be)

The Shop

MxSkater86
1/11/2017 12:38pm
Could be the Auto-Decompression on the cams causing it.
Harambe
1/12/2017 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2017 2:14pm
How did you "check the oil pressure?"

Wouldnt turn over or wouldn't start? Big difference....
rob162
1/13/2017 10:23am
Run like hell I used to work there when I was @ mmi . We would know what needed to be fixed an they would them something. Different. Got tired of the bs and quit/fired when I told 5 customers what was really wrong. jobs that should have been logged @$250-350. but there inflating the work up to$850-1300.00. A job that would peak ur intrest a kx450 guy rebuilt his carb and adjusted His valves wouldn't start and if it did would only run with the choke on. Pulled the carb to check jet first and only thing I had to do. He mixed up 2jets bike ran perfect they told him we replaced the rings cut valve seats re shimmed and rebuilt the carb. Bill should have been $125 they hit him for 650 parts and labor. If you need a place in az I can recommend a few for you that are great people to work with.
1/13/2017 11:52am
There is a ride now in NC as well. Always inflated prices. Knew a girl that took a yz85 in for a top end. They tore the while thing down. Split cases and eveything. Called her up and said $1900 to put it back together. I went I picked it up for her. Everyrhing was thrown in a box.

Paw Paw 271
1/14/2017 5:41am
Again....Look at the cam auto decompression as it may be stuck or broken.

Paw Paw
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/14/2017 9:14am
There is a ride now in NC as well. Always inflated prices. Knew a girl that took a yz85 in for a top end. They tore...
There is a ride now in NC as well. Always inflated prices. Knew a girl that took a yz85 in for a top end. They tore the while thing down. Split cases and eveything. Called her up and said $1900 to put it back together. I went I picked it up for her. Everyrhing was thrown in a box.

There's is one in vegas also. Back in 2009 we went in there to check out the 2010 KX450's. We talked to the guy a little bit and he told us he had one with an Akropovich pipe on it for $9500+tax and fees. We told him we rode for a dealership out of California and if he could match their price then we would buy from him. He looked at us like we were crazy and tried reminding us about the pipe. We told him nope. He kept trying to use the pipe as a selling point. Needless to say, we walked away and got our 2010 KX for $7600 otd from our normal shop.

Everything in that place was marked up like crazy. almost double what retail was. Never bought anything from there.
MotoX85
1/16/2017 2:21am
Stop.....Yamahas are having some issue with water in the harnesses and kill switches. Put di-electric grease in all your fittings and try again before you do anything else. (while you are doing this, you can pull the plug and test for spark everytime you grease a different connection so you can see if you are doing any good).

If that doesn't work, take it to another dealer, cause those guys are lost. Tell them to check resistance on your throttle position sensor, TPS. There is a special tool (not the GYTR programmer) they have to use to check it. Its in your manual.

Yamahas almost never need valve adjustments. The modern engine will go through timing chain before anything in the valves.

There is no way the valves are out of adjustment in 15 ours unless there is metal failure on the cams of buckets. And if you changed the oil every 5 hours (3 would be better) you should not have that problem.

Try the grease, it has fixed a couple in my area.
BobPA
1/16/2017 6:56am
MotoX85 wrote:
Stop.....Yamahas are having some issue with water in the harnesses and kill switches. Put di-electric grease in all your fittings and try again before you do...
Stop.....Yamahas are having some issue with water in the harnesses and kill switches. Put di-electric grease in all your fittings and try again before you do anything else. (while you are doing this, you can pull the plug and test for spark everytime you grease a different connection so you can see if you are doing any good).

If that doesn't work, take it to another dealer, cause those guys are lost. Tell them to check resistance on your throttle position sensor, TPS. There is a special tool (not the GYTR programmer) they have to use to check it. Its in your manual.

Yamahas almost never need valve adjustments. The modern engine will go through timing chain before anything in the valves.

There is no way the valves are out of adjustment in 15 ours unless there is metal failure on the cams of buckets. And if you changed the oil every 5 hours (3 would be better) you should not have that problem.

If the engine sucked dirt it could cause the valve to cup
MotoX85
1/16/2017 5:56pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Stop.....Yamahas are having some issue with water in the harnesses and kill switches. Put di-electric grease in all your fittings and try again before you do...

BobPA wrote:
If the engine sucked dirt it could cause the valve to cup
True, and of course I'm assuming proper maint.
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
1/18/2017 5:37pm
There is some missing information here, and the answer lies there.

Do you mean to say you cracked a bleed screw to check oil pressure?

Did you change the oil filter? It can be put in backwards causing cam gear spin, or clutch damage, cam gear spin causes low compression and non starting.

1/20/2017 9:15am
The only time I've seen valves needed to be adjusted on these it was caused by the bike sucking dirt. Otherwise I've seen the 250s with hours ranging all the way up to 230h without adjustment.

Post a reply to: Brand new 2017 yz250f needed valve adjustment??

The Latest