Brake rotor and pads not wearing even

Berni
Last ride I realized the front brake rotor was weared like a knife, I mean the exterior side of the rotor was really sharp, they I saw the brake pad had eatin its braking material? on the top of it (the exterior side of the rotor).

So I installed a new rotor and new pads.... Ok now today I went to ride and realized the interior side of the rotor(the one that is closes to the spokes) is only wearing like in a 50% of the surface of the pads, and of course only half the pad has had contact with the new rotor.

I just dissasembled and cleaned with brake cleaner and a brush everything (brake pads,the whole caliper, pistons, pins.... then put a light coat of Maxima grease in the pin and the channel where the pads fit, and put some light coat of oil in the pistons before being pushed in.... anyways I saw nothing wrong with my caliper during all this process.

I won't know if it solved the problem until tomorrow, but what else could I check.

By the way, some rides ago, one of the bolts that holds the caliper came loose and lucky me I was only in first gear so not really fast. the bolt that remained was bent but not other damage could be detected.... it might have something to do with the problem.

Anyways, what could I check?
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
2/26/2017 3:25pm
Yeah, it sounds like when the bolt jammed in the rotor you may have bent either the caliper bracket or the mounting lugs on the fork.
Berni
2/27/2017 1:42am
That is what I am thinking. After full dissasembly, cleaning and lubing, it has not improved. I am going to check if it is the caliper bracket. If it is not and is the mounting lugs, I am going to file the lugs to make for its twisting.

Any other idea to not replace the lug in case it is bent (fork is a Marzocchi and spares are not easy I think)
Slosh 112
2/27/2017 2:00am
to rule out the calliper being the problem, unbolt it from the bottom of your forks and pump it until the pads touch. if theres no gap between the pads on the inner edge then you know its either the bracket of fork lugs.
Berni
2/27/2017 9:17am
Slosh 112 wrote:
to rule out the calliper being the problem, unbolt it from the bottom of your forks and pump it until the pads touch. if theres no...
to rule out the calliper being the problem, unbolt it from the bottom of your forks and pump it until the pads touch. if theres no gap between the pads on the inner edge then you know its either the bracket of fork lugs.
That is a good idea, Thanks.

Post a reply to: Brake rotor and pads not wearing even

The Latest