AER 48 Revalve

CSAR FE
Who are you guys going through for revalving of the AER 48 forks? I picked up a TX300 to run in the desert and like it on just about everything but low speed chop/braking bumps. I'm trying to find a balance between the forks working well on whoops and g-outs, not diving in turns, but also not beating me up on slower stuff. It seems to be a happy medium that might be tough to find.

The shock was way too soft initially, so I basically had it revalved to TC250 specs and it feels better, but of course required me to run more pressure in the fork to balance the bike out. I resprung for my weight before I ever rode the bike. I'm coming off of a 16 YZ450F that has been set up by Smart Performance and works extremely well, so perhaps my expectations of this WP suspension is too high.

I'm leaning towards FC but have reached out to Kreft and plan on calling Race Tech here shortly. I'm not looking to have the "just buy some cones" discussion because I'm too poor for that, unfortunately. Thanks for the help and forgive my ignorance on suspension related stuff.
|
MotoMatt_928
5/30/2017 10:15am
I vote for MX-Tech. They have their AER program dialed in. Whether you want just a small job, or full-on race fork, they can do it all and at a great price.
captmoto
5/30/2017 11:31am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2017 11:33am
Racetech for me. I have a good relationship with them and and have used them for my last 4 bikes and a YZ465. They have a proprietary piston that replaces the quad ring that some people have had fail in the stock AER48 along with their Gold Valve in the damper side.
m21racing
5/30/2017 12:32pm
Mx tech, or ride concepts, or KAS if you're over the pond.
CSAR FE
5/31/2017 4:55pm
Does anyone know off the top of their head if FC replaces the composite mid valve with a metal one?

Race Tech does with their gold valves, I believe.

The Shop

CSAR FE
6/1/2017 8:44pm
Spoke with FC today; they do not replace the composite mid valve with a metal one currently, but they do have the new ones that are coming in the 17.5 factory editions and 18 models on order from WP, as well as the updated air piston seals.

I decided to go with FC. I will be having them do a revalve on both ends with a bladder kit and Xtrig adjuster on the shock. I am having them update the air piston while its apart. I'll report back after I get it done and get some time on the revalve.
kwenske321
6/1/2017 9:57pm
I just went with them. Went the same route you are on the rear shock but they converted my aer fork to spring. It works great, you'll like it!
CSAR FE
6/1/2017 10:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2017 10:03pm
kwenske321 wrote:
I just went with them. Went the same route you are on the rear shock but they converted my aer fork to spring. It works great...
I just went with them. Went the same route you are on the rear shock but they converted my aer fork to spring. It works great, you'll like it!
Did you notice a weight difference with the spring conversion? I am interested in it but have read a lot of mixed reviews.
bowser
6/2/2017 6:00am
i'm chasing a AER air setup if anyone is selling one
Ron_Shuler
6/4/2017 9:56pm
I will tell you if the AER WP forks are set up right they can work on par with Cone forks
bkevinmar
6/29/2017 9:14pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Who are you guys going through for revalving of the AER 48 forks? I picked up a TX300 to run in the desert and like it...
Who are you guys going through for revalving of the AER 48 forks? I picked up a TX300 to run in the desert and like it on just about everything but low speed chop/braking bumps. I'm trying to find a balance between the forks working well on whoops and g-outs, not diving in turns, but also not beating me up on slower stuff. It seems to be a happy medium that might be tough to find.

The shock was way too soft initially, so I basically had it revalved to TC250 specs and it feels better, but of course required me to run more pressure in the fork to balance the bike out. I resprung for my weight before I ever rode the bike. I'm coming off of a 16 YZ450F that has been set up by Smart Performance and works extremely well, so perhaps my expectations of this WP suspension is too high.

I'm leaning towards FC but have reached out to Kreft and plan on calling Race Tech here shortly. I'm not looking to have the "just buy some cones" discussion because I'm too poor for that, unfortunately. Thanks for the help and forgive my ignorance on suspension related stuff.
Pete Russell at NOST Suspension (http://www.nostsuspension.com) does an amazing job w revalves. He's in Riverside, CA
kwenske321
6/30/2017 7:04am
kwenske321 wrote:
I just went with them. Went the same route you are on the rear shock but they converted my aer fork to spring. It works great...
CSAR FE wrote:
Did you notice a weight difference with the spring conversion? I am interested in it but have read a lot of mixed reviews.
Once riding, I have not.
CSAR FE
6/30/2017 1:28pm
Got my FC revalved suspension back last week. Feels great! No complaints.
erik_94COBRA
6/30/2017 8:42pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Did you stay air or get the spring? And what weight/skill/riding style are you?
erik_94COBRA
7/1/2017 8:04am
Bruce372 wrote:
I changed the Midvalve out on mine.
Bruce-

Have you ridden with your setup yet? Any base valve changes to go with the new mid?

Erik
CSAR FE
7/1/2017 9:41am
CSAR FE wrote:
Stayed Air for now. I weigh 215 without gear, B class desert rider.

As stated before, I'm coming off of a well set up 16 YZ and have no complaints about this suspension after FC did their work.
erik_94COBRA
7/1/2017 10:37am
CSAR FE wrote:
CSAR FE wrote:
Stayed Air for now. I weigh 215 without gear, B class desert rider. As stated before, I'm coming off of a well set up 16 YZ...

As stated before, I'm coming off of a well set up 16 YZ and have no complaints about this suspension after FC did their work.
Thanks for the feedback. Pretty happy with my TC250 setup stock except for a few specific issues (brake dive, front rebound too fast, rear shock a little too soft). A buddy is having his 250SX done by FC soon. Interested to see how his feels.
CSAR FE
7/1/2017 12:51pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Stayed Air for now. I weigh 215 without gear, B class desert rider. As stated before, I'm coming off of a well set up 16 YZ...

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty happy with my TC250 setup stock except for a few specific issues (brake dive, front rebound too fast, rear shock a...
Thanks for the feedback. Pretty happy with my TC250 setup stock except for a few specific issues (brake dive, front rebound too fast, rear shock a little too soft). A buddy is having his 250SX done by FC soon. Interested to see how his feels.
I had the same complaint about the shock. The fork had a really harsh feel right in the middle of the stroke as well. All of that was addressed and the bike feels balanced now.
IceMan446
7/3/2017 4:34pm
CSAR FE wrote:
I had the same complaint about the shock. The fork had a really harsh feel right in the middle of the stroke as well. All of...
I had the same complaint about the shock. The fork had a really harsh feel right in the middle of the stroke as well. All of that was addressed and the bike feels balanced now.
Did they make a change to the mid-valve that helped out with the harshness???

Right now thats my biggest complaint right in the middle of the stroke on the forks in any kind of bumps its really harsh and I have had to go down so far in the pressure i feel like the valving needs to be changed.
Bruce372
7/3/2017 6:04pm
CSAR FE wrote:
I had the same complaint about the shock. The fork had a really harsh feel right in the middle of the stroke as well. All of...
IceMan446 wrote:
Did they make a change to the mid-valve that helped out with the harshness??? Right now thats my biggest complaint right in the middle of the...

Right now thats my biggest complaint right in the middle of the stroke on the forks in any kind of bumps its really harsh and I have had to go down so far in the pressure i feel like the valving needs to be changed.
I changed the mid valve and it improved the slight mid stroke harshness and I could run a higher air pressure
CSAR FE
7/4/2017 7:55am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 7:59am
CSAR FE wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
Did they make a change to the mid-valve that helped out with the harshness??? Right now thats my biggest complaint right in the middle of the...

Yes, they changed the midvalve settings. I'm not sure what they did exactly, but it fixed the issue and allowed me to run a lower pressure. I was having to run around 148 psi before the revalve to keep the fork from diving in corners and soak up the whoops, but it took away any suppleness it had in braking bumps and magnified the mid-stroke harshness. I got it back from them and ran the recommended 136 psi with their settings and its been perfect. Its been very supple and definitely saved my ass where I would have crashed in sections previously with stock suspension. I haven't bottomed it out yet either.

I'll be sending my FX450 suspension to them for the same treatment.
IceMan446
7/7/2017 10:17am
CSAR FE wrote:
Yes, they changed the midvalve settings. I'm not sure what they did exactly, but it fixed the issue and allowed me to run a lower pressure...
Yes, they changed the midvalve settings. I'm not sure what they did exactly, but it fixed the issue and allowed me to run a lower pressure. I was having to run around 148 psi before the revalve to keep the fork from diving in corners and soak up the whoops, but it took away any suppleness it had in braking bumps and magnified the mid-stroke harshness. I got it back from them and ran the recommended 136 psi with their settings and its been perfect. Its been very supple and definitely saved my ass where I would have crashed in sections previously with stock suspension. I haven't bottomed it out yet either.

Im in the same boat. Im down to 125psi on the forks just to get them to feel comfortable but when the track gets rough they don't work well at that psi at all. After reading some reviews of the FC stuff or RaceTech I need to decide which one to go to.

Thank you for the info man.

What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? You can PM if you don't want to put it up on here.
CSAR FE
7/7/2017 10:58am
CSAR FE wrote:
Yes, they changed the midvalve settings. I'm not sure what they did exactly, but it fixed the issue and allowed me to run a lower pressure...

IceMan446 wrote:
Im in the same boat. Im down to 125psi on the forks just to get them to feel comfortable but when the track gets rough they...
Im in the same boat. Im down to 125psi on the forks just to get them to feel comfortable but when the track gets rough they don't work well at that psi at all. After reading some reviews of the FC stuff or RaceTech I need to decide which one to go to.

Thank you for the info man.

What did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? You can PM if you don't want to put it up on here.
It ended up being around $980 after shipping with an Xtrig adjuster. I already had the correct shock spring before I shipped everything off.
2/10/2020 11:49am
CSAR FE wrote:
Who are you guys going through for revalving of the AER 48 forks? I picked up a TX300 to run in the desert and like it...

bkevinmar wrote:
Pete Russell at NOST Suspension (http://www.nostsuspension.com) does an amazing job w revalves. He's in Riverside, CA
I just rode Nost suspension for the first time and it is the best damn suspension I literally have ever ridden in 15 years
red_leader
2/10/2020 1:14pm
Ron Shuler (who I think posted here) did mine.
Huge improvement for me.
Braking bumps were my biggest complaint, and now I can blast right through them!
I can ride longer and pick any line now. Perfect for me. Intermediate vet mx
dennisk_107
2/19/2020 5:18am
It was around $550
Did you get anything extra done besides revalve? It says $200 for revalve, I’m guessing like $100-150 for parts and oil. So did you get another $200 worth of work to the forks?

Post a reply to: AER 48 Revalve

The Latest