450 Upgrades for Engine & Bike longevity

mxgreg80303
Hi All,

Just bought a bone stock 2014 RMZ450, and I'm wondering what the best upgrades/fixes to make so the bike lasts forever (engine and frame). It has plenty of power stock, so looking more for things that will make it last longer as opposed to go faster. The last bike I owned was a 2005 CRF250, and it was bullet proof, but a lot cheaper.

So far my list is:
-High Temp radiator cap
-Skid Plate
-Radiator braces
-Heavier clutch springs
-Any other must haves or known issues?

I'm planning on changing the oil and filter every ride, as well as checking the valves every 25 hours, but any other maintenance items you've learned from experience or are just good general ideas would be great.

I'm planning on splitting my time evenly between track and trail here in Colorado (5k feet elevation) with a few summer races thrown in.

Thanks! Also, I tried searching for this in the forum but if I missed something let me know
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/22/2017 6:43pm
You're on the right path. Keep changing your oil and use a clean air filter every ride. I also make sure my airbox and are boot are spotless before my filter goes on.

Change your Piston, bottom end and bearings at a reasonable interval.
5/22/2017 7:19pm
Replace the 'T' shaped radiator hose fitting under the gas tank with a 'Y' shaped fitting from a 2015 and up model. It's $12 on motosport.com. I have a 14 model and it spits out coolant at the drop of a hat. Another good idea that I'm doing is to get a radiator overflow tank from a rmx450z(mounts underneath the rmx skid plate).
RussB
Fantasy
986th
5/23/2017 12:26am
Honestly I'd say every ride is a little OTT for changing oil. If you use good quality stuff you can easily get 3 hours out of it. I change my oil every 5 hours and it still looks good then.
I would recommend changing the oil filter at every oil change though, or using a steel filter and thoroughly cleaning it. Also make sure you remove and clean the lower strainer filter (by the gear shifter) at ever oil change. Remove the springs and thoroughly clean the magnet and strainer.

A good skid plate is a good addition, keeps the engine cases and frame well protected. Always best to remove it when you clean the bike though as they can trap dirt and hold water easily.

I wouldn't say heavier clutch springs are a necessity, I'm still using the stock clutch and think its pretty damn good since I removed the judder springs and fitted some custom spring seating washers.

Be sure to run the bike after every wash to dry out. Also keep an eye on the plug and plug cap, it can get pretty shitty down there after a while.

I've put over 40 hours on my RMZ now and its been perfect with no faults at all. Use good fuel, keep on top of your filters and oil, pay close attention to your hour meter and replace engine parts at sensible intervals and you will have the bike for a long time!
mxgreg80303
5/23/2017 8:04am
Thanks for the suggestions! Radiator hose and overflow kit are a good idea, I've heard overheating is a big issue with the RMZ's.

I'll start with this stuff and keep on top of the maintenance and hopefully be riding for a long time

The Shop

TJMX947
5/23/2017 8:40am
I agree changing the oil every ride is over the top. I check mine every ride and once it starts looking dirty I change it...usually between 5 - 10 hours. 450s for the most part are bullet proof, most mortals can't ride a 450 very hard so they tend to last a lot longer. Change your air filter, use non-ethanol gas, service your pivots (steering bearings & Linkage/Swingarm/Shock bearings) once per year and don't spray the pivots directly with a pressure washer and this bike should last you a good long time.
Pirate421
5/23/2017 4:00pm
I would service chassis bearings about every 15 hrs too. Swingarm, linkage, steering stem. This will help keep every tight and moving smoothly as well has help keep bolts from freezing in place. Dab of blue loctite never hurt on big chassis bolts either. Keeps them in place, seals threads against water and corrosion and removable with hand tools.
Acidreamer
5/24/2017 9:29am
Your list plus proper maintenance is what makes a bike last. The second you stop giving it attention is when you have problems. Bikes these days are solid.

Post a reply to: 450 Upgrades for Engine & Bike longevity

The Latest