2012 crf450 wont start

Hey guys. Looking for a little help. Just finish putting my bike back together. New top end and crank. All timing is set exactly as it should be. Be over are 100% in spec. Bike started 3rd kick, MIL flashed 9 times. Found it was the sensor on the air box. Got that all fixed. Bike started 1st kick 2 times after that. Went out the next day to run heat cycles. Bike started great for the 1st 2 heat cycles. After that bike would not start. At all. 150 kicks later still no start. I need help. Ambient temp is about 25 degree Fahrenheit
|
Paw Paw 271
3/12/2017 11:13am
You need fuel, compression and strong spark at the correct time for the engine to run.
Check the fuel pump.
Check the injector.
Do you have good bright Blue spark?
Did you replace the cam chain?
Have you checked the cam timing again after it ran?
Are you getting any flashing now?
Have you checked the kill switch?

Paw Paw
3/12/2017 11:19am
I pulled the fuel line and kicked and it is pumping fuel.
Compression is at 57lbs.
Spark is every 3rd kick or so?
Timing is all set dead on.
I haven't checked the injector yet.
Spark when it happens is bright blue yes.
Has a new cam chain.
After it ran can timing was still good, intake valves were a little loose but in tolerance.
No flashing on the MIL
And I haven't played with the kill because I'm getting spark which tells me the kill switch isn't causing issues
Paw Paw 271
3/12/2017 1:08pm
From what you are stating...."spark when it happens"....So you may still have an ignition/spark issue.
That can be caused by a bad kill switch.
Spark every 3rd kick or so is a question mark for me. You should have a spark every time the engine comes to TDC.
Stator, trigger coil, ignition coil, bad plug cap or bad kill switch can cause this.
Check the injector.

Paw Paw
3/16/2017 1:13pm
Update. I bought a shim kit.
Put a torpedo heater toward the motor for 30 minutes and let it warm up, now that the motor wasn't freezing I have low compression at 47lbs. Book says 57 is standard. Also with it warm the intake valves were in spec and one exhaust valve was a little loose so I shimmed it to tolerance, and kicked my life away. A few backfires but no start. Does anyone know the standard amount of turns on the idle adjustment screw? I'm going to throw in a new piston and rings and double check all electrical and fuel systems to make sure I'm getting those.

The Shop

3/16/2017 2:23pm
I'm not sure about that compression most bikes should have 150 lbs or more compression.
RockyRider
Fantasy
3372nd
3/16/2017 2:38pm
Hate to say it but you could have installed the rings incorrectly and when it ran it prematurely wore them to the point where it wont seal..
3/16/2017 3:05pm
I'm not sure about that compression most bikes should have 150 lbs or more compression.
4 strokes don't have that much compression. 2 strokes are over 150. You won't find a stock 4 stroke over 60. And RockyRider you may be right, the piston I put in was with the crank I installed with 10 hours. I plan on putting my new oem in on Monday. I will update again then
Paw Paw 271
3/16/2017 5:41pm
The 4 stroke lower compression is only due to the auto decompression device built into the cam which holds open an exhaust valve while kicking it over. With out that device you would not be able to kick over a 4 stroke as it does have a lot of compression.

Paw Paw
tyler 13
3/16/2017 6:04pm
My cr250 did same thing spark when ever it wanted replaced stator and runs great
Everyone pointed toward coil or CDI
Stator creates the spark CDI reverses the polarity and sends it to the coil reduces it and feeds the spark plug
If there's good air, good compression , good fuel, all you need is good spark
Intake,compression, power (spark), exhaust

Post a reply to: 2012 crf450 wont start

The Latest