2005 RM 125 top end rebuild question

Hey guys, just building up my 05 rm125
It was oozing oil out the exhaust prior to rebuild so was assuming it was running too rich. Just after a second opinion on spark plug attached and piston
Also the ring around the piston was loose, should it be loose?
Cheers!

|
Paw Paw 271
12/6/2016 4:26am
Ok, the plug center looks like the jetting is ok, but the oil residue on it tells stories also.
The piston shows clear signs of blow by. Either worn ring or poor fit to the cylinder.
I would like to see a photo of the underside of the piston as I suspect a leaking crank seal on the clutch side.

Paw Paw
12/6/2016 6:22am
Ok, the plug center looks like the jetting is ok, but the oil residue on it tells stories also. The piston shows clear signs of blow...
Ok, the plug center looks like the jetting is ok, but the oil residue on it tells stories also.
The piston shows clear signs of blow by. Either worn ring or poor fit to the cylinder.
I would like to see a photo of the underside of the piston as I suspect a leaking crank seal on the clutch side.

Paw Paw
What Paw Paw said.....
12/6/2016 9:13am
Ok, the plug center looks like the jetting is ok, but the oil residue on it tells stories also. The piston shows clear signs of blow...

Paw Paw
Thanks for the reply paw paw!
That's what I gathered on my little knowledge on two stroke engines that it was blow by and the jetting was okay. This is my first two stroke and first rebuild. I was assuming worn ring and piston as the previous owner (my brother) doesn't care for things to much just rode and didn't care for any oil changes etc.

Here's a photo of under side of piston, what should I be looking for to know if crank seal is leaking?

Paw Paw 271
12/6/2016 9:59am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 10:01am
The underside of the piston looks good and no signs of cranks seal leakage showing up on it.
Did you clean it? Was there any black residue under the dome?
If no....
With that in mind I would replace the piston and rings, but be sure to measure the piston clearance in the cylinder and the ring end gap prior to the install to be sure all is ok.
I would then suggest doing a compression test and a leak test prior to cranking the engine for the first time.
Remember that single ring piston rings wear out very fast. ( Most cases the life is only about 10 hours or so.)
The plug and piston photos tell the story of being long overdue for a top end job.
You will also need to clean the power valves as they too must have been neglected.

Paw Paw

The Shop

12/6/2016 10:11am
The underside of the piston looks good and no signs of cranks seal leakage showing up on it. Did you clean it? Was there any black...
The underside of the piston looks good and no signs of cranks seal leakage showing up on it.
Did you clean it? Was there any black residue under the dome?
If no....
With that in mind I would replace the piston and rings, but be sure to measure the piston clearance in the cylinder and the ring end gap prior to the install to be sure all is ok.
I would then suggest doing a compression test and a leak test prior to cranking the engine for the first time.
Remember that single ring piston rings wear out very fast. ( Most cases the life is only about 10 hours or so.)
The plug and piston photos tell the story of being long overdue for a top end job.
You will also need to clean the power valves as they too must have been neglected.

Paw Paw
That's how I pulled it off, just flipped it and took the photo.

Taking it to the shop today, they've are going to measure the bore and give me the correct piston.
I checked out the power valve, is that the rectangle box on the front of the top end? That seemed clean though it was full of oil, would that just be excess oil blowing past the worn ring?

Is a compression test something doable at home or are specific tools needed?
Paw Paw 271
12/6/2016 12:53pm
The valve cover area does collect oil and at that point it is hot oil. When it cools it creates a sticky varnish like mess that can keep the valves from operating properly and thus can make you think the jetting is off. They need to be cleaned regularly.
The compression test can be done at home and most auto supply stores have a "loan a tool" program you can take advantage of at no cost. You may have to put down a deposit for the tool usage, but it will be refunded when you take the tool back. Remember that the compression testing will help you get early signs of the ring wear before you get into trouble. This tool is not expensive to purchase and have on hand.
You would need to make your on fittings to do the leak test.
Pick up a service manual for your ride as well as it will save you money in the long run.

Paw Paw
slipdog
12/6/2016 1:24pm
I'll just throw in that if you were oozing out the exhaust the silencer may be saturated and now would be a good time to repack it while your doing the rebuild.
12/6/2016 1:40pm
slipdog wrote:
I'll just throw in that if you were oozing out the exhaust the silencer may be saturated and now would be a good time to repack...
I'll just throw in that if you were oozing out the exhaust the silencer may be saturated and now would be a good time to repack it while your doing the rebuild.
Hey slipdog, yeah the shorty is getting old have just ordered a new one and PC expansion chamber waiting for it patiently lol
12/6/2016 1:59pm
The valve cover area does collect oil and at that point it is hot oil. When it cools it creates a sticky varnish like mess that...
The valve cover area does collect oil and at that point it is hot oil. When it cools it creates a sticky varnish like mess that can keep the valves from operating properly and thus can make you think the jetting is off. They need to be cleaned regularly.
The compression test can be done at home and most auto supply stores have a "loan a tool" program you can take advantage of at no cost. You may have to put down a deposit for the tool usage, but it will be refunded when you take the tool back. Remember that the compression testing will help you get early signs of the ring wear before you get into trouble. This tool is not expensive to purchase and have on hand.
You would need to make your on fittings to do the leak test.
Pick up a service manual for your ride as well as it will save you money in the long run.

Paw Paw
Would cleaning that out with degreaser be bad for the engine?
Looked online they are quite cheap, might invest in one of those to keep track of things.

Post a reply to: 2005 RM 125 top end rebuild question

The Latest