2003 RM250 general advice, tips & tricks

Looking for general advice on a 2003 RM250 from those experienced with them. One of my best friends scored this low hour bike today. He used to race, but put owning a bike on hold for the last 10 years while he served his country in the Army, established a career, started a family and just bought a house. I think I'm as excited as he his to see him "back in the saddle" again after all the sacrifices he's made!

He's going to frame it to QC and lube everything, remove the previous owners "personal touches" to make it his own.. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

(Previous owner just moved here and currently lives in an apartment so he had nowhere to store it Laughing )

|
mwssquad827
12/1/2016 5:30pm
Nope gas and twist the throttle!! I have owned several 01-08 rm 250's and still have 2 they all rip and are fun!! If ya have a certain question ask away otherwise enjoy!!
JWACK
12/1/2016 6:55pm
Get rid of those bars! Also make sure the steering stem is greased and snug. These bikes can scare you in the rough.. Put the bike on the stand and test it by pushing on the bars slightly. If it goes all the way to the stop by itself it's to loose. But don't over tighten it. Also the rm has a jittery clutch. A good upgrade on these bikes is a clutch basket to smooth out the friction point when letting the lever out. Not needed but nice to have in the slow stuff. I own 3 of these bikes ranging from 04-08. Really really good bikes.

12/5/2016 1:27am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 1:27am
Nope gas and twist the throttle!! I have owned several 01-08 rm 250's and still have 2 they all rip and are fun!! If ya have...
Nope gas and twist the throttle!! I have owned several 01-08 rm 250's and still have 2 they all rip and are fun!! If ya have a certain question ask away otherwise enjoy!!
Thanks! Apparently they're known for being real finicky on jetting. Any comments to that? Also any comments on gearing? I know both ideal jetting and gearing depend on what kind of riding one does - so call it mostly moto with some woods riding. No stupid tight single track stuff though..
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
12/5/2016 1:56am
I've got an 08, which is quite a bit different to an 03 but not drastic.
+1 on setting the steering stem tension right. Do this along with a good fork height and sag setting and the bike will ride beautifully. You will know when it's set up too steep!

Gearing wise I really like 13-51. However you can tune the power and delivery a lot with pipes. The difference between the stock silencer and shorty on my bike is crazy. The longer the pipe the smoother the delivery. Fly wheel weights are also good on these bikes if you prefer a smoother ride or have a less aggressive style. RM's have super light FW's stock which makes them peppy and aggressive, which is great so long as you know how to utilize it.
The stock front pipes are very good on RM's so swapping to aftermarket isn't necessary.

For jetting the Pro Circuit jetting guide is a good start.

The Shop

YZ125H1
12/6/2016 3:13pm
What about the YZ250 reed and intake mod for the 03-05 RM's? What exactly is needed or am I better off just putting the 06 reed spacer on my vforce 3 reed block.
JWACK
12/6/2016 7:18pm
YZ125H1 wrote:
What about the YZ250 reed and intake mod for the 03-05 RM's? What exactly is needed or am I better off just putting the 06 reed...
What about the YZ250 reed and intake mod for the 03-05 RM's? What exactly is needed or am I better off just putting the 06 reed spacer on my vforce 3 reed block.
Never tried it. I matched and ported my stock manifolds with good results. Are you looking for more bottom?
YZ125H1
12/7/2016 3:11am
JWACK wrote:
Never tried it. I matched and ported my stock manifolds with good results. Are you looking for more bottom?
Yes, I'm probably going back to the oem silencer also. The shorty 304 makes it too aggressive and revs out quickly even though I have a 10oz flywheel mounted. Been trying to mimic that amazing yz250 motor.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
12/7/2016 3:30am
YZ125H1 wrote:
Yes, I'm probably going back to the oem silencer also. The shorty 304 makes it too aggressive and revs out quickly even though I have a...
Yes, I'm probably going back to the oem silencer also. The shorty 304 makes it too aggressive and revs out quickly even though I have a 10oz flywheel mounted. Been trying to mimic that amazing yz250 motor.
What's your squish measurement?
Stock my RM was around 1.45mm. I took it down to 1.25mm with a 0.3mm thick Athena base gasket. The combination of tighter squish and lowered ports made a broader powerband and a noticeable difference to the low end.
Alternatively you can get the barrel decked but base gaskets are cheaper and good to test with before committing to permanent machine work.
You will need to use decent fuel if you are going to do this.

Stock pipes are pretty good on the RM's. I use the stock silencer for hardpack/technical tracks where controllable power is key. The 304 is best for sand and loam where you can just open it up and let her rip.

There is also gains to be had from experimenting with the powervalve tension and timing. I also found different needles change the personality of the bike so its worth testing those too if you are still searching for a desired feel.
JWACK
12/7/2016 4:06am
JWACK wrote:
YZ125H1 wrote:
Yes, I'm probably going back to the oem silencer also. The shorty 304 makes it too aggressive and revs out quickly even though I have a...
Needles are key as Russ said. As far as feel I'm the other way around. I make my Yz's run like the rm. I actually lighten the fly wheel just a tad. To each their own. I came across a used gnarly pipe at one time and picked it up to try it. It actually worked great. It picked up a ton of bottom but didn't loose that rm quick response. I ran the longer power core 2 and didn't loose much over rev. It ended up being one of my favorite combos.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
12/7/2016 9:29am
RussB wrote:
I've got an 08, which is quite a bit different to an 03 but not drastic. +1 on setting the steering stem tension right. Do this...
I've got an 08, which is quite a bit different to an 03 but not drastic.
+1 on setting the steering stem tension right. Do this along with a good fork height and sag setting and the bike will ride beautifully. You will know when it's set up too steep!

Gearing wise I really like 13-51. However you can tune the power and delivery a lot with pipes. The difference between the stock silencer and shorty on my bike is crazy. The longer the pipe the smoother the delivery. Fly wheel weights are also good on these bikes if you prefer a smoother ride or have a less aggressive style. RM's have super light FW's stock which makes them peppy and aggressive, which is great so long as you know how to utilize it.
The stock front pipes are very good on RM's so swapping to aftermarket isn't necessary.

For jetting the Pro Circuit jetting guide is a good start.
What fork height and sag did you find worked well on your 08? I have an 06 and never got the bike set up the way I would like.

And ever have any transmission problems?
Ted722
12/7/2016 9:33pm
Jbulz wrote:
What fork height and sag did you find worked well on your 08? I have an 06 and never got the bike set up the way...
What fork height and sag did you find worked well on your 08? I have an 06 and never got the bike set up the way I would like.

I'm 195/Vet Int and upping the fork spring rate really helped. Stock is .43. Dropped a .46 in one leg. Stock fork height. Backing out a little on the shock's high speed helps balance the bike too. I'm at 2 1/4 out.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
12/8/2016 12:07am
Jbulz wrote:
What fork height and sag did you find worked well on your 08? I have an 06 and never got the bike set up the way...

Fork height I went between flush and 7mm up depending on track type and conditions.
Sag I run 103mm.
As above check your springs for your weight, I'm running 0.45's in 49mm A Kit forks which is a little on the stiff side for my weight but I compensate by having a slightly lower oil height and going out more clicks on compression (16/18). It keeps the forks up in the stroke which helps keep things stable.

I've owned my RM since 2010, I had to replace a couple of gears in 2013 and need to do it again now. So 2 times in 6 years, not ideal but not terrible. That's riding the bike every weekend for the entire year, every year near enough.
mwssquad827
12/10/2016 3:07pm
Nope gas and twist the throttle!! I have owned several 01-08 rm 250's and still have 2 they all rip and are fun!! If ya have...
Thanks! Apparently they're known for being real finicky on jetting. Any comments to that? Also any comments on gearing? I know both ideal jetting and gearing...
Thanks! Apparently they're known for being real finicky on jetting. Any comments to that? Also any comments on gearing? I know both ideal jetting and gearing depend on what kind of riding one does - so call it mostly moto with some woods riding. No stupid tight single track stuff though..
I live at like 3600ft and I went 1-2 fat jets depending on the temp, and I just kept stock gearing which was good overall for my riding (dunes, Moto, ramp, trAils). They really are good bikes. Feels free to ask any more questions, enjoy

Post a reply to: 2003 RM250 general advice, tips & tricks

The Latest